Chocolate Truffle Christmas Cake

All the smells and tastes of the season.

Postby SuperMoon211 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:17 pm

If you like chocolate than you will really enjoy this holiday cake recipe that makes the perfect center piece for your holiday dessert table!

Ingredients

Chocolate cake:
2 tablespoons - unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup - all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon - baking soda
1/8 teaspoon - salt
1/4 cup - butter or margarine, softened
1 cup - Domino® Granulated Sugar
1 - egg
1/4 cup - buttermilk
1 teaspoon - vanilla
1/2 cup - hot water

Chocolate ganache filling:
2 cups - whipping cream
8 ounces - bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped

Chocolate glaze:
12 ounces - bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
3/4 cup - unsalted butter

Garnish:
3 - (three-foot) cherry or strawberry fruit rolls

Instructions »
Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 8-inch round cake pans. Line with wax or parchment paper. Grease paper. Dust with flour and tap out the excess.
In small bowl, stir together cocoa, flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.

Beat butter and sugar in large mixing bowl at high speed until light and fluffy. Scrape down the sides of the bowl if necessary. Add egg and continue beating 1-2 minutes until well mixed. Add the buttermilk and vanilla and combine well. Reduce the speed to low and add the dry ingredients one-third at a time, alternating with the hot water, blending well after each addition.
Pour batter into prepared cake pans. Bake 30-35 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Let cool 10 minutes. Turn layers out on cooling rack and cool completely.

Make the chocolate ganache filling:
In a small saucepan, bring the cream to a simmer, remove from the heat and add the chocolate. Stir the mixture until it is smooth, transfer it to a bowl, and chill, covered, until it is cold but not set.

Assemble the cake:
With a serrated knife, cut each layer in half horizontally. Put 1 tablespoon of the ganache in the center of a 7-inch round cardboard round and set one of the cake layers, bottom side down on the cardboard. Spread the cake layer with some of the ganache and top the ganache with another cake layer. Continue to layer the cake in the same manner. Spread the remaining ganache around the sides and on top of the cake. Chill until cold.

Make the chocolate glaze:
In a metal bowl set over a pan of barely simmering water, melt the chocolate and butter, stirring until the mixture is smooth. Transfer the glaze to a bowl and let it set for 30 minutes.

Frost the cake:
Set the cake on a rack over a jelly-roll pan and pour the glaze over it, smoothing the glaze with a spatula to completely cover the cake. Chill the cake, covered loosely with plastic wrap, until the glaze is set.

Decorate the cake:
Cut 2 strips of fruit rolls, 15 inches long, for the ribbon. For the bow, cut 8 strips of fruit rolls, 7 inches long. Place longer strips perpendicular to each other on glazed cake to form ribbon. To make the bow, bring ends of each small strip together to form loops. Arrange loops on top of cake in the center to form a bow.

Makes 12 servings

Here's the link: http://www.dominosugar.com/Recipe.aspx?id=457

Let me know how it turns out!! :P
SuperMoon211
Elf Apprentice

Re: Chocolate Truffle Christmas Cake

Postby Noel+ » Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:05 am

:dinner: Oh, my gosh, I could eat that whole cake right now. I copied the recipe.....for January birthdays! THANKS! :dinner:

I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year! Charles Dickens
Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby SuperMoon211 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:55 pm

No problem! Happy baking and happy holidays :D

You can also go to www.dominosugar.com and search "chocolate" to find more yummy chocolate recipes.
Last edited by SuperMoon211 on Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SuperMoon211
Elf Apprentice

Postby Noel+ » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:50 pm

My sister is a chocaholic and her birthday is at the end of January. When I told her I had a new recipe for a Chocolate Truffle cake, she said to move her birthday to the 1st!! Getting older is better with chocolate!

I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year! Charles Dickens
Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby tinseltown » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:22 am

: This looks yummy :dinner:
[url][/url]
tinseltown
Christmas Tree Finder

Return to Holiday Recipes