CAKES

Those special after dinner treats.

CAKES

Postby Noel+ » Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:48 pm

Chocolate Truffle Cake

INGREDIENTS:

6 ounces bittersweet chocolate (not unsweetened)
3/4 cup unsalted butter, cubed and softened
2/3 cup sugar
4 eggs, separated
2/3 cup flour
Chocolate Topping (recipe follows)

DIRECTIONS:

In top of double boiler, melt chocolate over simmering water until smooth. Or place in microwave bowl; microwave at Medium (50-percent power) for 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 minutes or until melted and smooth. Let cool slightly.

In a bowl, cream softened butter with sugar until fluffy; beat in melted chocolate and egg yolks until smooth.

Sift flour over chocolate mixture and fold in. In another bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold into chocolate mixture using a whisk until no white streaks remain.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Butter a nine-inch spring-form pan; dust lightly with cocoa powder, shaking off excess. Evenly spread batter in pan; bake for 35 minutes at 350 degrees F or until cake tester inserted in center comes out clean. Place on rack and let cool. Run a knife around outside of cake and arrange on serving plate. Spread top and sides of cake with chocolate topping. Refrigerate.

Chocolate Topping:
1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/3 cup superfine sugar
4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, melted
1/3 cup evaporated milk

In bowl, cream butter with sugar until light and fluffy. Stir in melted chocolate and evaporated milk until smooth. (If too soft, wait five to 10 minutes or until topping is of spreading consistency.) Spread over top and sides of cake.

For a dramatic dessert presentation, cut cake into wedges and serve on large dessert plates dusted with cocoa powder. Garnish with fresh raspberries or sliced strawberries

I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year! Charles Dickens
Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Re: CAKES

Postby Noel+ » Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:57 pm

Jam Cake

INGREDIENTS:

2 cups sugar
1 cup shortening
3 eggs
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup blueberry jam
3 cups sifted flour
1 teaspoon soda
1 cup chopped black walnuts
1 cup raisins
1 large apple, grated
1/2 cup chopped dates (optional)
1 cup ground coconut

Cream sugar and shortening; add eggs and beat well. Combine buttermilk and jam alternately with sifted flour and soda; beat well. Add nuts, fruits, and coconut; stir until well distributed through batter. Bake in 3 (9-inch) greased cake pans at 350 F for 30-40 minutes or until done.

Filling:
2 cups sugar
2 tablespoons flour
1/2 cup sweet milk
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1 cup chopped nuts
1 cup chopped raisins
1 cup grated apples
1 cup grated coconut
Maraschino cherries (optional)

DIRECTIONS:

Mix sugar and flour together in saucepan; add milk and butter and cook about 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and beat till thickened; add nuts, fruit, and coconut. Spread between layers and on top and sides of cake. Decorate with maraschino cherries, if desired.

Note: If black walnuts are not available, use pecans or other nuts and add 1/2 teaspoon black walnut flavoring.

I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year! Charles Dickens
Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Noel+ » Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:59 pm

Coconut Rum Cake

INGREDIENTS:

Cake:
1 cup butter
2 cups sifted sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 teaspoons banana extract
3 cups cake flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup milk
6 egg whites

Icing:
2 cups butter
1 1/2 pounds (about 5.5 cups) confectioners' sugar, sifted
2 teaspoons banana extract
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 teaspoons orange juice concentrate
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 cup Myers's rum
1 banana, very thinly sliced
1/2 cup shredded coconut, toasted

DIRECTIONS:

To make the cake, in an electric mixer whip the butter until light and fluffy. Add the sugar and extracts and blend well. In another bowl sift together the cake flour, salt, and baking powder. Stir 1/3 of this into the butter and sugar mixture. While stirring, add half of the milk. Continue stirring and add another 1/3 of the flour mixture, then the rest of the milk, then the last of the flour mixture. Mix well.

Whip the egg whites until stiff but not dry. Gently fold them into the cake mixture. Divide the mixture equally into three 9-inch cake pans that have been buttered and lightly floured. Bake at 350° until the cakes are firm, about 25-30 minutes. The cakes are done when a toothpick stuck in the middle comes out clean.

Place the pans on cake racks and let stand for 10 minutes. Invert the pans onto the racks and tap the bottom to loosen the cakes. You may have to run a knife around the edges. Cool the layers completely, but don't let them dry out.

To make the banana cream icing, whip the butter in an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Slowly add the confectioners' sugar, extracts, orange juice concentrate, and lemon juice and blend until smooth. Keep in a cool place, but don't refrigerate.
When the cake is cool, place 1 layer on a cake plate. Prick the layer all over with a fork, sprinkle with 1/3 of the rum, then ice the layer. Cover the icing with thinly sliced bananas and sprinkle with shredded coconut that has been toasted to a nice golden brown. Repeat the operation for the second layer, and then the third, leaving the bananas off the top of the cake. Cover the entire cake with more toasted coconut.

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Christmas_Eggnog » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:25 am

YUM! I will def try the jam cake! That rum cake looks like a great Christmassy dessert too. Thanks for sharing with us! :smilecc:
Christmas_Eggnog
Bulb Tester

Postby Merry Sage » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:24 am

'scuse me while I wipe the drool off my chin...... :dinner:
Merry Sage
Head Baker

Postby suzysnowflake » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:13 pm

They certainly do sound yummy!!

:rake: :cheer:
suzysnowflake
Bulb Tester

Postby Noel+ » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:28 am

Please post your own fave recipes too! :smilecc:

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Merry Sage » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:43 am

I think we should vote Noel "Official Cake Baker" for CAY.

Most of my cakes come courtesy of Duncan Hines and Betty Crocker! :elfgrin:
Merry Sage
Head Baker

Postby mistletoe misfit » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:14 pm

Merry Sage wrote:I think we should vote Noel "Official Cake Baker" for CAY.

Most of my cakes come courtesy of Duncan Hines and Betty Crocker! :elfgrin:

LOL
I second that motion. Noel is our official Baker!!!!! :smilecc:

I also enjoy the no baking- baking. My sweet DH humorously refers to me as either "Betty Crocker" or "Martha Stewart" :laugh:
mistletoe misfit
Head Baker

Postby Mrs.Claus » Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:40 pm

I third the nomination - mine don't even come from Duncan Hines or Betty Crocker but from the store - mostly Costco (was Sam's Club until they left Canada).

Three cheers for Noel, Official CAY Cake Baker :jump:
~ Mrs. Claus ~

Mrs.Claus
The Mrs.

Postby Noel+ » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:28 am

:lol: Thank you. I humbly accept your nomination, but except some stiff competition from Jodie & others! :wink:

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Mrs.Claus » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:53 pm

Jodie - is the official CAY Fruit Cake Baker

As I wrote this I realized that it sounded funny. Jodie's not a Fruit Cake but makes great Fruit Cake. :lol:
~ Mrs. Claus ~

Mrs.Claus
The Mrs.

Postby Noel+ » Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:16 am

Yes she is!!! :D

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Return to Desserts