AUTUMN SNACKS

Those special after dinner treats.

AUTUMN SNACKS

Postby Noel+ » Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:39 am

APPLE CRISP

This recipe comes from Julie Casey, the pastry chef of Tre Vigne Restaurant in Basking Ridge, NJ.

For the filling:
6 granny smith apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
2 cups apple juice
1 and a half teaspoon cinnamon
Half teaspoon nutmeg
Pinch of cloves
1 cup brown sugar
Quarter cup white sugar
1 cup dried cranberries

Place everything except the cranberries in a large pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and maintain at a simmer. Meanwhile, mix 3 tablespoons of cornstarch with just enough water to make a paste. Pour into the apple mixture and bring the mixture to a near boil. If the filling still seems liquidity, add one more tablespoon of cornstarch dissolved in a little water. After the cornstarch has been added and the mixture brought to a near boil, remove it from the heat, add the cranberries and set it aside.

The crust:
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup instant oatmeal
4 oz. brown sugar
Half teaspoon cinnamon
Half teaspoon nutmeg
Pinch of salt
5 oz. cold butter, cut into small cubes

Mix all of the dry ingredients in an electric mixer with the paddle attachment. Then add the butter a piece at a time until a crumbly texture is achieved. Be careful of over mixing or you'll create a dough. If you don't have an electric mixer, mix the dry ingredients in a bowl with a whisk and then cut in the butter with a fork or pastry blender. Place the apple mixture in an 8 x8x2 baking dish. Spoon the crust on top and bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes or until the top is bubbly and brown.

I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year! Charles Dickens
Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Re: AUTUMN SNACKS

Postby Noel+ » Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:40 am

Caramel Apple Dumplings

2 tablespoons butter or margarine
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1 1/2 cups water
Dumplings:
1 1/4 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup milk
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup chopped apple

In a skillet, heat the unsoftened butter, brown sugar and water to boiling. Reduce heat to simmer. Meanwhile, mix together all dumpling ingredients. Drop by tablespoonfuls into the simmering sauce. Cover tightly and simmer 20 minutes. Do not lift lid. Serve with ice cream if desired.

I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year! Charles Dickens
Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Noel+ » Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:40 am

Easy Apple Kuchen

1/2 cup margarine, softened
1 package yellow cake mix
1/2 cup flaked coconut
2 1/2 cups sliced, peeled baking apples
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 cup sour cream
1 egg

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Cut butter into cake mix until crumbly. Mix in coconut. Pat into ungreased 9x13 cake pan, building up edges. Bake 10 minutes. Arrange apple slices on warm crust. Mix sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle on apples. Blend sour cream and egg; drizzle over the apples. Topping won't completely cover the apples. Bake 25 minutes or until edges are light brown. Serve warm. 12-15 servings.

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Noel+ » Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:41 am

Spiced Apple Dessert

Ingredients

* 1 cup all-purpose flour
* 1 cup sugar
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1 egg, lightly beaten
* 2 cups shredded peeled tart apples (about 2 large)
* 1/4 cup chopped walnuts

CARAMEL SAUCE:
* 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
* 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
* 1/8 teaspoon salt
* 1 cup water
* 1 tablespoon butter
* 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions

In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Combine egg and apples; add to flour mixture and mix well. Stir in walnuts. Transfer to an 8-in. square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. For sauce, in a small nonstick saucepan, combine the brown sugar, flour and salt. Gradually add water; stir until smooth. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil. Cook and stir 1-2 minutes longer or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in butter and vanilla. Serve with warm apple dessert. Yield: 9 servings.

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Noel+ » Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:41 am

Caramel Apple Crisp

Ingredients

* 3 cups old-fashioned oats
* 2 cups all-purpose flour
* 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
* 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 1 cup cold butter
* 8 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples
* 1 package (14 ounces) caramels, halved
* 1 cup apple cider, divided

Directions

In a large bowl, combine the oats, flour, brown sugar and cinnamon; cut in butter until crumbly. Press half of the mixture into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Layer with half of the apples, caramels and 1 cup oat mixture. Repeat layers. Pour 1/2 cup cider over top. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes. Drizzle with remaining cider; bake 15-20 minutes longer or until apples are tender. Yield: 12-14 servings.

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Return to Desserts