Decoupage Boxes

Christmas Crafts and Holiday Projects.

Decoupage Boxes

Postby Noel+ » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:22 pm

Decoupaged Boxes

There are all sorts of reasons you might want to make decoupaged boxes. Decoupaging a variety of boxes, from shoeboxes to check boxes, with the same or similar paper can make them look like they belong together. Decoupaged boxes can make a boring gift a little more exciting.

Supplies

A plain box to decorate (use a check box, a shoe box, or any other small to medium sized box you have lying around the house)

Paper to decorate the box with (I used decorative tissue paper, but wrapping paper, newspaper, magazine pages, photographs or pictures printed on plain paper would work)

Decoupage medium (I use Mod Podge because it’s a classic, but any thin glue that dries clear will work)

Foam brush

Scissors

Instuctions for Decoupaged Boxes

Cut out a piece of paper the size and shape of your box. You can simply trim a rectangular piece and have some overlap at the corners, or cut out the corners that would make an overlap when you put the paper on the box (drawing the shape of the box in pencil on the back of the paper will make this much easier). Make your cut out a little bigger than the box so you can secure the edges to the inside of the box.

You could also cut out an individual piece of paper for each side of the box, with a little overlap on all sides. The seams will be visible and this won’t look as smooth as decoupaging with one solid piece, but it is a lot easier to get the paper down smooth this way.

Using the foam brush, apply a layer of decoupage medium to one side of the box. Press the paper onto the glue, being careful to align it properly. Smooth it out so there are no air bubbles or ripples in the paper. Use a little more glue to secure the edge to the inside of the box.

Repeat this procedure until all sides are covered. Let the glue dry. If you would like to make a collage or place other paper over the first layer, do so now. When everything is dry, take your foam brush and apply a thin layer of decoupage medium to the paper, making sure you get all sides covered evenly. Allow to dry overnight.

Your box is now ready to use! If you’d like to make your box shiny or sparkly, you can buy decoupage medium that has extra shine built in!

This is about as basic as decoupage gets. Here are some more ideas for things you can decoupage:

picture frames
wooden boxes
tables, chairs and bookshelves for the kids’ rooms
glasses, glass vases or glass votive holders
terra cotta pots

There’s no end to the cute projects you can make with a little bit of paper, a little bit of glue and your imagination. :jump:

I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year! Charles Dickens
Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Re: Decoupage Boxes

Postby Jodie » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:01 am

I used to do this to photo frames and give them as gifts, I had forgotton all about it.

Jodie
Toy Maker

Postby Winterself » Sat May 03, 2008 8:14 pm

years ago me and DD made alot of cigar boxes with decoupage and everyone wanted one..they turned out awesome..great idea...
Winterself
Christmas Tree Finder

Postby Noel+ » Sat May 03, 2008 9:43 pm

Jodie & Winterself -- I made decoupage gifts in the past too. Ironically I didn't think of them for Christmas for years later!! :oops:

I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year! Charles Dickens
Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Jodie » Fri May 09, 2008 4:45 am

I also used to just paint the frames and get the kids to draw on them with coloured paint pens - the grand parents loved them.

They are great too if you get light weight ones and glue magnets on the back, that way they can be stuck to the fridge.

Jodie
Toy Maker

Postby Pixie Wildflower » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:38 pm

A super idea!
Pixie Wildflower
Bulb Tester

Postby Snowbelle27 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:58 am

What a lovely idea! Do you have any phots that you can post, would love to see them?
Snowbelle

Snowbelle27
Ornament Hanger

Postby Pixie Wildflower » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:49 am

Snowbelle27 wrote:What a lovely idea! Do you have any phots that you can post, would love to see them?

Ditto! Photos give us a better idea how to proceed!
Pixie Wildflower
Bulb Tester

Postby spotoftea » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:24 pm

thanks for the reminder. i'm headed to the craft store this weekend. i plan to do one of those wooden serving trays for my mom this holiday!
** Visit the Christmas section of my website for gifts and apparel: http://www.cafepress.com/spotoftea/6561188**
spotoftea
Elf Apprentice

Return to Homemade Holiday