OPERATION CHRISTMAS CHILD

Christmas or non-Christmas charities and organisations - local or world-wide.

OPERATION CHRISTMAS CHILD

Postby Noel+ » Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:13 am

This charity is sponsored by Samaritan's Purse and gifts children across the world each year. When we moved to Arizona, we suggested it to our church and they now contribute. But individuals can contribute also! During the year we send financial gift.........but the true joy is filling, decorating, and shipping a shoebox filled with tiny gifts to SP. They hand deliver the box to a child not just at Christmas time but all year round, We include a letter and picture of our family for the child.

http://www.samaritanspurse.org/index.php/occ/

I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year! Charles Dickens
Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Re: OPERATION CHRISTMAS CHILD

Postby Jodie » Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:00 am

That is just precious Noel.

Each year, we buy two presents (one for a boy and one for a girl) and put them under the wishing tree at Kmart or Target.

Helping out just makes it so much more special at Christmas.

I was going to see if there was a local organisation that I could help out with this year - I don't have a lot of time but it is good for the soul to help out, even a little.

I thought about seeing if the administrators of the aged care home had anything I could to - read to them or even bring Ollie dog up for a visit to brighten their day a bit.

Jodie
Toy Maker

Postby Noel+ » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:24 pm

Oh, Jodie, the infirmed elderly are so often forgotten! What a gift to pet Ollie dog and chat with you at Christmastime! Bless your heart! :scene:

I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year! Charles Dickens
Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Pixie Wildflower » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:54 am

We do OCC every year. It is fun to buy for the kids. Oh Jodie, that is wonderful. I remember how thrilled my Mom was that the childrens choir from the local Methodist church came to sing for the residents last Christmas. They helped make her last Christmas a bright one. I remember when I was in school, we made crafts at art class and took to the nursing homes. These are good things to do, since many of the residents are seeing their last Christmas on earth. God bless!
Pixie Wildflower
Bulb Tester

Postby Snowbelle27 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:40 am

What a lovely idea - you've certainly given me something to think about.

:flake:
Snowbelle

Snowbelle27
Ornament Hanger

Postby Noel+ » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:25 am

I'm so glad Snowbelle! :smilecc:

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby suzysnowflake » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:19 am

We do this every year through our church. Now that my girls are a little older they like to do their own boxes. I think it's a great idea and we have fun doing it. :smilecc:
suzysnowflake
Bulb Tester

Postby Noel+ » Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:05 am

Oh, Suzy, and how wonderful that children across the world will receive a box full of gifts hand chosen by your children!! Beautiful!!! :flake:

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Christmas_Eggnog » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:28 am

What a wonderful idea, Noel. I've always regretted not being able to send my sponsored Child (Selena) gifts (World Vision won't let you). So now I can actually give something..even if it's not to my sponsored child. Thanks for sharing that with us.
Christmas is, of course, the time to be home - in heart as well as body."
Christmas_Eggnog
Bulb Tester

Postby Pretjah » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:19 am

my church has done Op Christmas Child for many years

we even had friends go on a mission trip where they were present when the gifts arrived.

they said it was amazing to see the affect it had on the children and their families
Pretjah
Toy Maker

Postby Noel+ » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:41 am

Pretjah & Christmas Eggnog: the Gaither video series has one called Christmas in South Africa and they help hand out the Christmas boxes from Operation Christmas Child [with Franklin Graham]. I cried so hard watching those precious children rejoice over a toothbrush/soap and crayons! We are more deteremined than ever to increase the # of boxes and find more items to stuff inside them!

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby SimplySarah » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:27 pm

Making up a shoebox has become one of our family traditions as well. It's so easy and fun for your children to participate in as well. We also "adopt a family" through our local church and go out and shop for a specific family. It is so fun to give annonymously at Christmastime.
I asked for a maid for Christmas and I got a new vacuum.
SimplySarah
Elf Apprentice

Postby Noel+ » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:43 pm

SimplySarah wrote:Making up a shoebox has become one of our family traditions as well. It's so easy and fun for your children to participate in as well. We also "adopt a family" through our local church and go out and shop for a specific family. It is so fun to give annonymously at Christmastime.

Giving to others is the true Christmas spirit and you obvious have a lot of spirit! Good for you! :D

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby kiwidogy_max » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:13 pm

We have been fortunate enough to be able to live in a part of the world where have the means and willingness to help others. It is great to hear about how everyone spreads the true meaning of Christmas to others, halfway around the world.
Love and Joy Come to You!
Santa's coming Santa's coming! I know him!
kiwidogy_max
Toy Maker

Postby Noel+ » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:51 pm

Its that time of year again. Our boxes are 3/4 full but still need to do more shopping. This charity is such a JOY! :D

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Christmas Crazy » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:02 pm

We love filling up the boxes also. A great way to show Christ's love to others.
Christmas Crazy
Sleigh Assistant

Postby Noel+ » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:50 pm

Great CC! :D

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Noel+ » Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:37 am

Just excited to take our Christmas shoe boxes to church this morning! Samaritan's Purse will receive them Tuesday. This charity is a special joy! :smilecc:

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Noel+ » Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:18 pm

Today at church we've got a big need for more Christmas boxes for these precious children. Two more boxes for us to joyfully fill with love. Shopped before coming home but need more toys. This is going to be a great week! :smilecc:

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby CandyKane » Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:24 pm

Noel from your posts I understand that you fill boxes at home and then take them to church to be collected and distributed. We take things to church and then have a huge packing party. Usually a dinner followed by prayer over the boxes. Then everyone gets a box, decides boy or girl and what age, then dives in and starts filling them. It's always so great. :nav2:

“Our hearts grow tender with childhood memories and love of kindred, and we are better throughout the year for having, in spirit, become a child again at Christmastime.”

― Laura Ingalls Wilder
CandyKane
Sleigh Assistant

Next

Return to Charities & Helps