Christmas Songs Remembered

Nothing like the sweet sound of Christmas music to put you in the holiday mood.

Christmas Songs Remembered

Postby Auntie Mistletoe » Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:55 pm

:smilecc: Through the Gimme 5 game in the Reindeer Games section this question generated several memories. Let's chat about the earliest Christmas songs we remember hearing, who performed them, etc.

We can always pop back and add more as our memories catch up with us.

So, what Christmas songs stick out in your mind and which versions of your favourite do you still enjoy listening to today (or when the "season" rolls 'round again)?

:sing: Let's get chattin' about Christmas songs from long ago - for some longer than others!
Northern Auntie Mistletoe Image
Auntie Mistletoe
Ornament Hanger

Re: Christmas Songs Remembered

Postby Noel+ » Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:42 pm

:singing: Jingle Bells! It's the first Christmas music I remember. Then I learned part of Silent Night followed by "To Grandmothers House"!

Some of my favorites now are from the children's tv specials. "Silver & Gold" by Burl Ives! The song in Santa Claus about "putting one foot in front of the other".

And, then, the classic Christmas hymns/worship songs I treasure! :singing:

I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year! Charles Dickens
Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Auntie Mistletoe » Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:17 pm

:singing: My parents were fans of Mario Lanza, Perry Como (well mom was), Johnny Mathis, Frank Sinatra, Nat King Cole (and the Trio), Rosemary Clooney, and Bing Crosby among others so I recall listening to the classic vinyls at an early age most of which are still heard during the Christmas holidays softly in the background as we visit with guests and family.

I remember the first time I heard The Little Drummer Boy, Silent Night and Adeste Fedelis (O Come All Ye Faithful) and I really enjoyed them. I still get moved by those songs.

Another one that comes to mind is Do You Hear What I Hear? And my dad singing "Good King Wenceslas" all around the house while he was fetching lights and such.

One of the first songs I learned in grade school which is one of my least favourites, but is quite easy to sing is The Twelve Days of Christmas. I much preferred Away in a Manger and Jingle Bells.

The first songs I remember hearing were White Christmas (the Supremes) and Little Drummer Boy was on a Kid's record so I'm not sure whose version it was. Could have been a children's choir.
Auntie Mistletoe
Ornament Hanger

Postby Auntie Mistletoe » Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:27 pm

I know the song you mean, Noel. It's the one Kris Kringle and Winter were singing

"You never will get where you're goin'
If you never get up on your feet
Come on! There's a good tail wind blowin'
A fast walkin' man is hard to beat!"

:rockettes: I have to admit, I enjoy many of the songs and soundtracks from animated specials. I find them quite jolly!
Auntie Mistletoe
Ornament Hanger

Postby Noel+ » Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:58 pm

:smilecc: That's it!

Songs from childhood fill us with memories of joy!

I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year! Charles Dickens
Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Return to Here We Go A'Carolling