"Letters From Father Christmas" J.R.R. Tolkien.

Escape to Christmas through reading - books, stories, prose, poems. Feel free to share your own creations too!

"Letters From Father Christmas" J.R.R. Tolkien.

Postby Joanna » Thu May 01, 2008 11:10 am

Can you imagine writing to Father Christmas and actually getting a reply?

For more than twenty years, the children of J.R.R. Tolkien received letters from the North Pole -- from Father Christmas himself! They told wonderful stories of mischief and disaster, adventures and battles: how the reindeer got loose and scattered presents all over the place, how the accident-prone Polar Bear climbed the North Pole and fell through the roof of Father Christmas's house, and many others.
Joanna
Bulb Tester

Re: "Letters From Father Christmas" J.R.R. Tolkien.

Postby Noel+ » Sat May 03, 2008 10:27 pm

This book is a treasure! I've owned it for years, reread it every Christmas, and read it to my children! :scene:

I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year! Charles Dickens
Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Mrs.Claus » Sun May 04, 2008 9:24 am

I love Tolkien! I just got this book a couple of years ago and think he's such a great storyteller. I can just imagine him telling his stories to his children.
~ Mrs. Claus ~

Mrs.Claus
The Mrs.

Postby Noel+ » Sun May 04, 2008 9:44 pm

It was one of the books, other than our Bibles, we were able to replace right away. That and Tolkien's other works, C S Lewis, and George MacDonald! All essentials in my home library!!! :jump: :jump:

I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year! Charles Dickens
Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Jodie » Fri May 09, 2008 5:00 am

I had forgotton all about this book - I am going to see if I can order it next week.

Thanks Joanna

Jodie
Toy Maker

Postby Noel+ » Sat May 10, 2008 1:15 am

Oh, Jodie, you'll be so glad you added it to your Christmas library!!! :jump:

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Jodie » Fri May 16, 2008 12:02 am

I tired to order it online but it was out of stock and they were not taking pre orders. So off I went into the shop to be told by the first lady that they won't be stocking it anymore and they don't think I will be able to get it in Australia.

I hung around a bit and when the manager came out, I asked her and she checked it and said it was on back order, would she like me to call the distributer and ask if they know when it will be available. I said yes please, she did and it is coming in two weeks :smilecc:

I am so glad that I did not believe the first assistant, I sort of felt like I was bothering her when I asked about it and she had to leave what she was doing and check it on the computer.

Jodie
Toy Maker

Postby Noel+ » Sat May 17, 2008 9:50 pm

Your persistance won great reward! I can't imagine this book not being available in most countries! It's a Christmas legend! Bravo Jodie! :jump:

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby mistletoe misfit » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:15 pm

Joanna wrote:Can you imagine writing to Father Christmas and actually getting a reply?

For more than twenty years, the children of J.R.R. Tolkien received letters from the North Pole -- from Father Christmas himself! They told wonderful stories of mischief and disaster, adventures and battles: how the reindeer got loose and scattered presents all over the place, how the accident-prone Polar Bear climbed the North Pole and fell through the roof of Father Christmas's house, and many others.

Joanna
Thank you so much for sharing this.
I have to try and find it at the nearest Chapters or Coles.
It looks and sounds so wonderful. I think the children would really enjoy it.
Maybe ol mom here might as well. :jump: :throw: :jump:

mistletoe misfit
mistletoe misfit
Head Baker

Postby Mrs.Claus » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:41 pm

I like the book better than my children - I'm a huge Tolkien fan. I view the book as a bit more grown up. They are letters Santa-Tolkien wrote to his own children. A fun read and good inspiration! :D
~ Mrs. Claus ~

Mrs.Claus
The Mrs.

Postby Snowbelle27 » Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:28 am

That looks a lovely book. I've made a note so that I can see I can find a copy to add to my collection.

Someone mentioned on another forum last year that during Christmas they have a basket of Christmas books by their sofa, and each evening they read a story. I thought it sounded a lovely idea and planned on doing that myself this year. I have found a suitable basket and will tie it with a Christmassy ribbon. I only have a about half a dozen books or so but this is a long term project and I will continue to add to it.
:holly1:
Snowbelle

Snowbelle27
Ornament Hanger

Postby Noel+ » Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:23 am

So do we! I began this as a child and carried it on with my own family. Every night after Thanksgiving we read 1 chapter in a Christmas book until the end of Christmas day! It is a treasured moment! :snowwow:

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Mrs.Claus » Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:45 pm

Snowbelle27 wrote: Someone mentioned on another forum last year that during Christmas they have a basket of Christmas books by their sofa, and each evening they read a story. I thought it sounded a lovely idea and planned on doing that myself this year. I have found a suitable basket and will tie it with a Christmassy ribbon. I only have a about half a dozen books or so but this is a long term project and I will continue to add to it.
:holly1:

I've been doing this for a few years now. I use a large Christmas gift bag and we take turns pulling out one or two books to read by the tree. My kids absolutely love and it and really look forward to it. I'll be posting more about it soon under Holiday Traditions.
~ Mrs. Claus ~

Mrs.Claus
The Mrs.

Postby Noel+ » Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:33 am

A favorite of my children is "The Littlest Angel"

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Merry Sage » Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:47 pm

I found the Tolkien book on Amazon, though its out of stock right now. I've added it to my wishlist and Hubby Claus is going to see what he can do to get it for me for Christmas. :holly1:
Merry Sage
Head Baker

Postby Noel+ » Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:30 am

Good for Hubby Claus and good gift for you!!! :D

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Return to Holiday Lit 101