Gift cards!!

Gift giving, shopping, and budgeting. Share your tips, suggestions, and ideas to help wrap up the holiday season.

Gift cards!!

Postby XmasSnowy » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:51 pm

I know gift cards make shopping for everyone on you list easier.. Luckily Safeway family stores (Vons, randall's, Dominick's, etc) carry over 300 gift cards. If you noticed the "gift card Mall" display at the store has many selections of gift cards from all top stores like macy's, best buy and even Nordstrom. I think it's really help us from having run a round during holiday seasons.. :P that can be a real time burner :roll: and we still can shop for groceries as well. what do you guys think?

Happy Holiday!
XmasSnowy
Elf Apprentice

Re: Gift cards!!

Postby Mrs.Claus » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:33 am

Gift cards are a great idea for those hard to buy for people.

Gift cards can be difficult for some people because I set a limit for each person I buy for and hope that I can get items on sale, so certain people think I spent more than I actually did. I have a few picky people on my list who expect a bit more (I love them so I don't complain too much). So cards don't work for everyone on my list.
~ Mrs. Claus ~

Mrs.Claus
The Mrs.

Postby XmasSnowy » Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:27 pm

Yes mrs.Claus.. I'm one of the person who is hard to pick gift for people lol.. especially when I don't know them that much :think: , like co-workers or secret Santa exchanges.
I do like to personalize my gifts, what i can do is pick the gift cards that is match with the person's interest and combine the cards with small gifts like cheap wines or candles so it'll look like I'm giving more than one gift, but I can reduce the gift cards value.. :) tricky :elfgrin:
XmasSnowy
Elf Apprentice

Postby Noel+ » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:13 am

I received one this Christmas ......... then lost it ! YIKES! :x

I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year! Charles Dickens
Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby mistletoe misfit » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:22 pm

Oh, Noel I hope you find it soon. Maybe it fell into one of your Christmas boxes?

I cleaned under the fridge on the weekend and found a $50 Canadian Tire gift card. My hubby got it a year ago and put it on the fridge then forgot about it. It was a nice surprise.

I am always putting things like gift cards and other small items I don't have a home for in a "safe place" so they don't accidentally get thrown out. Then I forget which safe spot I put them. :roll:
I eventually find them, usually when looking for something else I had safely put away. :lol:
Good Luck Noel! I hope you find it!
mistletoe misfit
Head Baker

Postby Noel+ » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:10 am

Thanks, MM! We're hoping the card didn't go out with the ribbon/papers off the Christmas gifts!

I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year! Charles Dickens
Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Christmas_Eggnog » Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:42 pm

:angry: I am not a huge fan of the whole gift card gift idea....I think a gift will show more thought and be a bit more fun for the receiver. However, I have given gift cards before and they seemed to go over well... :think:
Christmas is, of course, the time to be home - in heart as well as body."
Christmas_Eggnog
Bulb Tester

Postby Noel+ » Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:52 pm

Some of my family members are big on gift cards -- so they can shop for what they want. I am not -- but in their cases, especially the teen-college aged ones, I do give them.

A gift: we were given one Christmas morn of the highest value in God's Son, and to me, I want to gift those I love too. If that makes me old fashioned, its okay with me.

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby mistletoe misfit » Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:18 pm

I received 2 Tim Hortons gift cards for my birthday from two dear friends. I am so pleased with the cards. :smilecc:
They are building a Tims in the little town near here, where our two oldest will be playing hockey. I don't often get to Timmy's because the nearest location right now is a half an hour drive from here.
This country, hockey mom requires much caffeine. :lol:
Usually it's home brewed but with a Tim's going up during hockey season and a couple of gift cards. This gal will be smiling ear to ear when sipping on many cups while freezing in the hockey arenas this season. :laugh:
mistletoe misfit
Head Baker

Postby Christmas_Eggnog » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:19 am

:lol: Yes, Mistletoe Misfit, I completely understand. I don't think I could operate without caffeine in the morning. I have to get up early too and wish I had a Tim Hortons near by!
Christmas is, of course, the time to be home - in heart as well as body."
Christmas_Eggnog
Bulb Tester

Postby gameshowguy2000 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:59 am

Well, the only negative side about gift cards is those inactivity fees that start to build up if you don't use the cards, not to mention the dreaded expiration dates! (Luckily, most merchants have their "no fee, no expiration" policies)
"Who would imagine, who could imagine, who would imagine a king?"-Whitney Houston, The Preacher's Wife, 1996

gameshowguy2000
Tinsel Thrower

Postby Noel+ » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:48 am

gameshowguy2000 wrote:Well, the only negative side about gift cards is those inactivity fees that start to build up if you don't use the cards, not to mention the dreaded expiration dates! (Luckily, most merchants have their "no fee, no expiration" policies)

Exactly!

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby mistletoe misfit » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:34 am

We are lucky here. I guess there were just too many restrictions and expirary dates on gift cards. Our government stepped in a couple of years ago and passed some law that prohibits companies from having expiration dates on gift cards. Great for consumers!! :smilecc:
mistletoe misfit
Head Baker

Postby Noel+ » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:46 am

That is great for consumers. Maybe our government will follow suit in the near future. :D

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Return to Holiday Hustle & Bustle