Canadian Thanksgiving History & Traditions

Give Thanks.

Canadian Thanksgiving History & Traditions

Postby Mrs.Claus » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:20 am

History of Canadian Thanksgiving

The first Thanksgiving is believed to have been held in 1578 by English explorer, Martin Frobisher. He had been trying to find a route to the Spice Islands in the Orient. The ceremony was held in what is now the Baffin Islands. He was later knighted and Frobisher Bay was named after him.

On October 10th, 1710, Port Royal, Nova Scotia held a Thanksgiving day to celebrate the return of the town to the English. And again in 1763, Halifax celebrated the end of the Seven Year War with a Thanksgiving ceremony.

Since 1879, Canadian Parliament has chosen many dates for Thanksgiving. After World War I, both Armistice Day (now Remembrance Day) and Thanksgiving were both held on the Monday before November 11th. Thanksgiving became it's own celebration again in 1931. Then on January 31st, 1957, Canadian Parliament declared "a day of general thanksgiving to Almighty God for the bountiful harvest with which Canada has been blessed . . . to be observed on the 2nd Monday in October."; thus giving Thanksgiving a more permanent date.

Traditions

At the heart of the celebration is giving thanks; thanks for the harvest, food, family, friends. Canadians also reflect back on their ancestors' pioneering spirit, and the beauty and bountifullness of their land and people.

Food - At this time of thanksgiving people gather their family and friends near to them and have a feast of turkey, cranberry sauce, stuffing, and pie.

Cornucopias - English farm workers had a tradition of filling a curved goat's horn with fruit and grain to give thanks for their harvest having been a good one. This horn was called a Horn of Plenty or a Cornucopia. They brought this tradition with them when they came to Canada.

Decorations - Canadians decorate their homes, churches, and places of business with hay/straw, gourds, pumpkins, corn, cornucopias, and seasonal flowers (mums, marigolds).
~ Mrs. Claus ~

Mrs.Claus
The Mrs.

Re: Canadian Thanksgiving History & Traditions

Postby Noel+ » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:47 pm

Thanks for sharing Canada's roots for Thanksgiving and your traditions!

I think I'll post America's too! :dinner:

I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year! Charles Dickens
Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Jodie » Fri May 23, 2008 9:13 pm

That is interesting Mrs C, thanks.

In Australia we have rememberence day on November 11. At 11am on the 11/11 we stop for one minute silence to remember those that have fallen.

It is not a holiday but is usually observed no matter where you are.

Jodie
Toy Maker

Postby Stephanie » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:51 am

The Canadian Thanksgiving is in almost a month. Are you guys getting ready for it? What are your plans for the day?
Stephanie
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby mistletoe misfit » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

We haven't made any plans yet. Definitely lots of turkey and pumpkin pie. :dinner:
This year Thanksgiving day falls on the same day as DH and I anniversary.
This is his favourite time of year. In October we have Thanksgiving/anniversary, then DH's B-Day on the 18th followed closely by our youngest B-Day on the 21st and of course finishing off with Halloween. Busy month! Lots of celebrating! Come October I am pretty much screaming Christmas all the time then. Probably because all the celebrating puts me in an even more festive mood. :smilecc: :smilecc: :scene:
mistletoe misfit
Head Baker

Postby Merry Sage » Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:16 pm

Although I'm in England, I make a point of having a traditional turkey dinner (albeit its turkey breast, rather than the whole bird). I like to do something special for Halloween too.

It's nice to know Thanksgiving was "invented" in Canada, rather than the States, where they do tend to think that's where it came from.
:D :reindeersmile:
Merry Sage
Head Baker

Postby Mrs.Claus » Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:24 pm

Stephanie wrote:The Canadian Thanksgiving is in almost a month. Are you guys getting ready for it? What are your plans for the day?

Nope not much to get ready for. We go to in-laws and they just tell us what we need to bring, usually dinner rolls.
~ Mrs. Claus ~

Mrs.Claus
The Mrs.

Postby suzysnowflake » Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:21 pm

I'm so excited for Thanksgiving, it is my favorite time of year becauase of all the holidays that follow. I will be making the traditional turkey dinner with pumpkin and apple pie and I can't wait.
suzysnowflake
Bulb Tester

Return to Thanksgiving