Groundhog day

Celebrate!!

Groundhog day

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:18 am

Anyone make anything special for ground hog day? one year I made a meatloaf in the shape of a groundhog but can't find the website with instructions now. I was thinking of making it on Sunday since I don't have time for 'real cooking' during the week so we could at least have leftovers on wednesday. Any suggestions? :dinner:
Jennifer Lundgren
originally from San Antonio, Texas (USA)

LIfe is one Christmas adventure after another.
Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

Re: Groundhog day

Postby kiwidogy_max » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:45 pm

I would love to see a picture of your groundhog meatloaf!! That is a great idea! Unfortunately, I didn't have a fancy groundhog day dinner. Any groundhog around where I live wouldn't have been able to climb out from under the 2 feet of snow on the ground.
Love and Joy Come to You!
Santa's coming Santa's coming! I know him!
kiwidogy_max
Toy Maker

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:34 am

http://www.putporkonyourfork.com/recipe ... cipeID=249

The ground hog shapes did not turn out all that well, but the recipe was great. A funny thing happened on the subway though, on Wednesday, my husband said on the way home, 'what's for dinner?' I said 'leftover ground hogs, mashed potatoes, and brussel sprouts'. The look on the woman's face next to me was priceless and worth using the groundhog cookie cutter just so I could say that! For that reason alone, I will try it again.
Jennifer Lundgren

Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

Postby kiwidogy_max » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:25 am

Jwlundgren, I can't wait to try the groundhog meatloaf! It sounds delicious! :dinner:
kiwidogy_max
Toy Maker

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:11 am

kiwidogy_max wrote:Jwlundgren, I can't wait to try the groundhog meatloaf! It sounds delicious! :dinner:

The recipe is amazing. I had never cooked with ground pork before. The only thing is you have to drain it about half way through, at least swedish pork, we might have more fat. We added mushrooms and used raisins for eyes. I bought the cookie cutter off ebay before leaving the US. I'd love to have a bigger one for the meatloaves. The 'mini meatloaf' idea worked out regardless of the shape. They cooked SO MUCH faster, in about 20 minutes. I also made a glaze of soy sauce, brown sugar and bbq sauceto try to make them more brown and then experimented brushing half before cooking and half toward the end. The ones I brushed at the begnning got 'burnt' a bit, the ones I brushed toward the end came out better.

Best of luck!! :dinner:
Jennifer Lundgren

Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

Postby kiwidogy_max » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:57 am

I am planning a 60th birthday party for my parents (surprise). Trying to get thier friends up from CT. I hope all goes well. Maybe I can switch careers to party planning??!! Ha!
kiwidogy_max
Toy Maker

Return to Other Special Days