Christmas in August...September...

For those who just can't wait until December.

Re: Christmas in August...September...

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:21 pm

Noel+ wrote:You're a fact-file on Christmas and its fun to learn so much! Thanks!

Thanks. One of those useless talents we all have that are fascinating to other people but won't earn a living. :laugh:

Just finished watching the Hart to Hart episodes 'Twas the Christmas to be murdered' on Youtube.

Merry Christmas in August! September is on it's way! :peekleaves2: :scene: :snowwow:
Jennifer Lundgren
originally from San Antonio, Texas (USA)

LIfe is one Christmas adventure after another.
Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

Postby Noel+ » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:38 pm

Yes, I loved Hart to Hart too! And last year someone here at CAY posted to check out YouTUbe for Christmas episodes...........we had a blast!

I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year! Charles Dickens
Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Mrs.Claus » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:57 am

jwlundgren wrote:and I remembered that Feb. 2 is Candlemas or the Presentation of Jesus in the Temple. I think I read that in previous times, Candlemass, Feb 2, marked the final end of 'Christmas'. Here in Sweden, it ends on January with St. Knut's Day. Have to do more research on that one.

:peekleaves2: :snowwow:

When I leave my tree and decorations up after January 6th I always tell people that Christmas isn't over till Candlemass and that it starts at Michaelmass which is at the end of September. They, of course, think I'm a little crazy - Christmas crazy! :lol:
~ Mrs. Claus ~

Mrs.Claus
The Mrs.

Postby Noel+ » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:16 pm

Mrs.Claus wrote:
jwlundgren wrote:and I remembered that Feb. 2 is Candlemas or the Presentation of Jesus in the Temple. I think I read that in previous times, Candlemass, Feb 2, marked the final end of 'Christmas'. Here in Sweden, it ends on January with St. Knut's Day. Have to do more research on that one.

:peekleaves2: :snowwow:

When I leave my tree and decorations up after January 6th I always tell people that Christmas isn't over till Candlemass and that it starts at Michaelmass which is at the end of September. They, of course, think I'm a little crazy - Christmas crazy! :lol:

May I borrow that rationale Mrs C? :lol:

I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year! Charles Dickens
Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:42 am

[/quote]When I leave my tree and decorations up after January 6th I always tell people that Christmas isn't over till Candlemass and that it starts at Michaelmass which is at the end of September. They, of course, think I'm a little crazy - Christmas crazy! :lol:[/quote]

May I borrow that rationale Mrs C? :lol: [/quote]

I read on another blog that someone counted St Wenceslaus Day as the beginning of 'Christmas'. That is one day sooner on September 28. :lol:

St. Wenceslaus
(Also Vaclav, Vaceslav.)

Duke, martyr, and patron of Bohemia, born probably 903; died at Alt-Bunzlau, 28 September, 935.

His parents were Duke Wratislaw, a Christian, and Dragomir, a heathen. He received a good Christian education from his grandmother (St. Ludmilla) and at Budweis. After the death of Wratislaw, Dragomir, acting as regent, opposed Christianity, and Wenceslaus, being urged by the people, took the reins of government. He placed his duchy under the protection of Germany, introduced German priests, and favoured the Latin rite instead of the old Slavic, which had gone into disuse in many places for want of priests. Wenceslaus had taken the vow of virginity and was known for his virtues. The Emperor Otto I conferred on him the regal dignity and title. For religious and national motives, and at the instigation of Dragomir, Wenceslaus was murdered by his brother Boleslaw. The body, hacked to pieces, was buried at the place of murder, but three years later Boleslaw, having repented of his deed, ordered its translation to the Church of St. Vitus in Prague. The gathering of his relics is noted in the calendars on 27 June, their translation on 4 March; his feast is celebrated on 28 September.
Jennifer Lundgren
originally from San Antonio, Texas (USA)

LIfe is one Christmas adventure after another.
Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

Postby Noel+ » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:03 am

CAYers are all Christmas crazy! :lol:

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Previous

Return to Christmas in July