Christmas in July

For those who just can't wait until December.

Christmas in July

Postby Jodie » Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:59 am

We celebrate Christmas in July here in Australia (not everyone does, but we do). The English and Irish are said to have started it up in the Blue Mountains because they missed their hot Christmas dinners - it is way too hot here in Australia to have a hot Christmas dinner with all the trimmings because it is rarely below 30C here on Christmas day (being the middle of summer).

I celebrate it on the Saturday night that is the closest date to the 25th.

We have baked ham, turkey and all the trimmings - I even make a Christmas pudding. I usually invite from 20 to 40 people and I do all the cooking. It is such a wonderful opportunity to catch up with friends that we don't get to see at the real Christmas because of family obligations...

I will post more about it as we get closer.

Jodie
Toy Maker

Re: Christmas in July

Postby Noel+ » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:58 pm

Christmas in July

As a young woman I began watching Christmas movies on 7/25 and when I started our traditions I added Christmas in July,

It was Jodie who inspired me to add the festive dinner, invite friends, and make it truly a celebration! Here it is 45C atleast so it is anindoor celebration but with hot foods. I turn the AC down low to similuate Christmas times in Indiana winters!

It brings great joy and an opportunity to celebrapte the Spirit of Christmas all year!

I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year! Charles Dickens
Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Jodie » Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:58 am

Thanks for sharing Noel.

I made up the template for our Christmas in July invitations today - although they won't be printed until the guest list is finalised later in June.

I am going for a traditional theme this year, lots of red, green, gold and silver. Oh and lots of lights.

Jodie
Toy Maker

Postby Merry Sage » Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:55 pm

My birthday is July 14th so I'm on a mission to combine CIJ and my birthday. My theme is purples, greens and pale yellow, the colours of my aromatherapy business! :flake:
Merry Sage
Head Baker

Postby Noel+ » Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:26 am

I love aromatherapy! Do you have a site on the web? If not, do you know a great one for oils? I love reed diffusers but the oil only lasts a week or so! 8-)

I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year! Charles Dickens
Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Merry Sage » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:37 am

Noel+ wrote:I love aromatherapy! Do you have a site on the web? If not, do you know a great one for oils? I love reed diffusers but the oil only lasts a week or so! 8-)

You can find my wee site here; Bloomin' Lovely Aromatherapy

If you want something longer lasting for fragrancing your home, you might look into aroma granules or get an electric oil diffuser.

The electric burners don't generate the heat the usual candle powered oil burners do, so your oils may last longer. The granules last much longer. You use about a half tsp, in the same manner as you do oils. Hope that info has been helpful. :flake:

For purchasing oils, I'm not sure where you are, but if there's a therapist in your area, he or she may be able to point in the direction of a reputable site. Here in England, I buy my oils from an organic producer in Merseyside, called Phytobotanica.
Merry Sage
Head Baker

Postby Mrs.Claus » Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:03 am

Merry Sage wrote:You can find my wee site here; Bloomin' Lovely Aromatherapy

Feel free to add your aromatherapy site to the Holiday Surfing board too. :D
~ Mrs. Claus ~

Mrs.Claus
The Mrs.

Christmas in July

Postby Jodie » Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:43 am

This year we will celebrate Christmas in July on Saturday July 26th (because we always have our party on the weekend closest to the 25th).

I am really looking forward to it, as usual. I love having two Christmas celebrations.

Jodie
Toy Maker

Postby Jodie » Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:46 am

Oh thanks, I have added your site to my favourites so I can have a good look when I have time.

Cheers

Jodie
Toy Maker

Postby Merry Sage » Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:33 am

Mrs.Claus wrote:
Merry Sage wrote:You can find my wee site here; Bloomin' Lovely Aromatherapy

Feel free to add your aromatherapy site to the Holiday Surfing board too. :D

Very kind of you. Thank you! :flake:
Merry Sage
Head Baker

Postby Merry Sage » Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:01 pm

I'm hoping to hold my Christmas in July around the 14th, which is my birthday. Thats a Monday, so I may go with Sunday the 13th. All this predicated on us being moved and settled by then!

*fingers & toes crossed"

Merry Sage
Head Baker

Postby Winterself » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:39 pm

thanks for shareing your CIJ info...interesting.I thaught everyone celebratd it in december...lol...I learn something new all the time... :jump:
Winterself
Christmas Tree Finder

Postby Noel+ » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:52 pm

Thanks for the link to your site it is lovely! Yes, I'll check out the granules! Thanks!

As for CIJ - waiting for my days off request to be approved!

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

CIJ extra

Postby Noel+ » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:53 pm

In my new position I have to wait to ask for time off so I'm hoping I'll have the 25th off because we celebrate it on 7/25 8-)

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Winterself » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:26 am

we dont do CIJ..but im looking forward to hearing all about yours...my birthday is july 17...its just too hot for me to even think of it as a holiday....usually tho i will start to make my christmas cards by then...and start searching for new music to listen too...
Winterself
Christmas Tree Finder

Postby Jodie » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:23 am

Winterself wrote:thanks for shareing your CIJ info...interesting.I thaught everyone celebratd it in december...lol...I learn something new all the time... :jump:

We do celebrate Christmas on December 25 like everyone else.

But we also celebrate Christmas in July as well - July is the middle of winter in Australia and when the Irish and Scots came out here, they missed their snowy, cold Christmas's. So they decided to start a tradition and have a festive feast in our winter (July). It caught on and is getting bigger and bigger each year. I know quite a few people who do it each year now.

Jodie
Toy Maker

Postby Noel+ » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:55 pm

It's a double Christmas celebration! AND it makes time fly at reindeer speed til Christmas comes again! :rudolph:

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Winterself » Sun May 25, 2008 9:23 pm

I think its a great tradition...if it was cold here during july i would do it.. :shop:
Winterself
Christmas Tree Finder

Postby Jodie » Fri May 30, 2008 8:01 am

Winterself wrote:I think its a great tradition...if it was cold here during july i would do it.. :shop:

THat is the main point of having it = in Australia we get to sample a white Christmas (like you normally have).

In the US and UK you get to sample a hot Christmas (like we normally have).

Jodie
Toy Maker

Postby Noel+ » Fri May 30, 2008 11:10 pm

Oh! It doesn't have to be cold -- its over 110F here on July 25! We just crank up the AC and sprinkle fake snow everywhere!! :snowwow:

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Next

Return to Christmas in July