Christmas in August...September...

For those who just can't wait until December.

Christmas in August...September...

Postby XmasDVD » Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:38 pm

Don't forget, QVC Shopping channel will also have Christmas in August, September, October, etc. 25th of each month till Christmas!
ImageImage
XmasDVD
Bulb Tester

Re: Christmas in August...September...

Postby Snowbelle27 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:41 pm

That sounds wonderful I hope QVC here in the UK is doing that too.

:snowwow:
Snowbelle

Snowbelle27
Ornament Hanger

Postby XmasDVD » Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:43 pm

Snowbelle27 wrote:That sounds wonderful I hope QVC here in the UK is doing that too.

:snowwow:

..good question. What's the website, I'll do some checking.
ImageImage
XmasDVD
Bulb Tester

Postby Noel+ » Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:08 am

Yes, QVC does a COUNTDOWN TO CHRISTMAS on the 25th of every month through November.

For a link just go to qvc.com and clock on Great Britain at the bottom of page.

I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year! Charles Dickens
Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Snowbelle27 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:13 am

Thanks for that Noel, I'll check it out.
Snowbelle

Snowbelle27
Ornament Hanger

Postby XmasDVD » Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:22 am

great!! Glad to hear it...
ImageImage
XmasDVD
Bulb Tester

Postby Noel+ » Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:27 am

Please see the new thread for UK & USA! :D

I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year! Charles Dickens
Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Winterself » Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:39 pm

oh i didnt no that..thanks ive got it on my calender now..yeah... :smilecc:
Winterself
Christmas Tree Finder

Postby Noel+ » Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:11 am

August 25!!! The first Countdown to Christmas on QVC! I have to work..........but I'll shop when I am home!! Have fun and enjoy!! :jump:

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:23 am

Christmas in August in our house is usually a one day celebration with a Yellowstone Park/Korean theme. However, this year it falls during 'hell week' at my job so we are considering moving it to the weekend before. We watch Christmas in August (the Korean movie) even though it isn't really about Christmas and have Korean food. There is also an Old Time Radio program called Korean Christmas about a soldier who spends Christmas at a Korean orphanage during the war only to find out it had been bombed out years before. Very 'twilight zone'.

We listen to one Christmas CD, usually Handel's Messiah. I'd love to find a video performance of that, but so far, no luck here in Sweden. We read about the performances at Yellowstone in the past. I would have loved to have been able to hear one of those at the park. We found a BBC series about Yellowstone online and have been watching it. They had a program at Christmas here in Sweden called Christmas in Yellowstone but we had no way of recording it. The weather is strangely similar....... :muffs:

I think this year, we will have an Asian food fest weekend. I might even try to make bulgogi, it is the one thing I miss most. I am from San Antonio, Texas, but we had GREAT asian food there as well. Another favorite movie for Christmas in August is Autumn in New York. The Fall colors are beautiful and it does have a Christmas scene in it. We also like Call me Claus with Whoopie Goldberg for the home shopping channel theme. I watch QVC online when I'm cooking as well.

I grew up with Christmas in August as a service project for missionaries. I forgot about it until I worked again for a church from 2002-2006. We have celebrated it in Sweden since I got here in 2008 as a 'summer relief' day and an excuse to party. :smilecc:

I forgot to mention in the Christmas in July section but our usual food themes are: Christmas in July-Hawaiian, usually Hawaiian chicken or haystacks
Christmas in August-Korean, varies, my goal is bulgogi but only recently found all the ingredients!

I look forward to participating in this group!
Jennifer Lundgren
originally from San Antonio, Texas (USA)

LIfe is one Christmas adventure after another.
Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

Postby Mrs.Claus » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:32 am

That sounds awesome! I like the theme idea - Hawaiian would be great - not sure if my girls would go for Korean yet, maybe when they're a bit older (and hopefully less picky eaters).
~ Mrs. Claus ~

Mrs.Claus
The Mrs.

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:39 am

Mrs.Claus wrote:That sounds awesome! I like the theme idea - Hawaiian would be great - not sure if my girls would go for Korean yet, maybe when they're a bit older (and hopefully less picky eaters).

Holidays are a great time to introduce them to new and 'ethnic' foods. You can mix a couple of dishes in with the old favorites. Korean is good because it is more 'flavor' than 'hot'. You could start with bulgogi and white rice, that's not too threatening. :D
Jennifer Lundgren

Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

Postby Noel+ » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:10 am

Thanks for sharing your great ideas with us! :D

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:08 am

I had a dream I can't share with anyone else or they think I'm nuts. So, here goes. As stated above, I grew up with Christmas in August as a church missionary project. Well, in my dream, I was an adult in one of the churches I attended as a child, and the Wednesday evening potluck and service was transformed into a Christmas in August party. People were encouraged to bring donations of toiletries, writing supplies, school supplies, etc from the missionaries 'wish' list and place them under the tree, or on a table.

My husband says I am a born administrator because I dream in such detail. :wink:
The decorations were those paper table cloths you can get at the dollar store, maybe even starting now, paper chains made by the girls service organization (Girls in Action), there were paper Christmas ornaments on the tree with the names of missionaries and their location on the tree for people to take as they walked in. Garland, and used Christmas cards rounded out the decorations.

The meal consisted of cold ham bought by the church. (It's August in San Antonio, Texas in my dream) The congregation brought cold salads to go with the ham and the church purchased a cake from a bakery for dessert decorated in a christmas motif. (Yes, even in my dream they thought I was crazy). People were encouraged to wear Christmas or hawaiian clothes, or just red and green to add to the festivity. I was wearing a Santa 'camp' shirt with a red tank top and jeans (which we never wore to church in my 'day' :santa: )

After dinner the program was led by the girls. We sang 'Go Tell it On the Mountain' which I did not even know was a Christmas song until I was in my 30's because we sang it all year round. Then everyone was welcomed and people went around the table reading the names of their missionaries and their locations. and encouraged to pray for them throughout the months until Christmas. Then a scripture was read: Acts 1:8, The Great Commission, and one of the Christmas gospels. A short message was given reminding everyone that we don't really KNow when Christ was born to keep the spirit of Christmas in your hearts all year round, then the service concluded with the mission service hymn 'We've A Story to Tell To the Nations.'

I thank you for your indulgence. Many of these ideas can also be adapted to any civic organization. I hope they inspire someone.

Merry Christmas in August!
Sung Tan Chuk Ha

http://www.debwebonline.com/Mercy_in_Jesus/merry.html
Jennifer Lundgren

Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:34 am

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/242002.stm

found this surfing the net today.

Enjoy! :snowwow:
Jennifer Lundgren

Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

Postby Noel+ » Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:52 am

jwlundgren, you're a marvel at finding Christmas in any month! Great job!

As for your dream........women dream with more detail in more often in color so your hubby was right! It was a meaningful dream - thanks for sharing it with us! :snowwow:

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:57 am

[quote="Noel+"][b][color=#008080]jwlundgren, you're a marvel at finding Christmas in any month! Great job! [quote]

It's a new hobby since joining this group. February, March, and May are tough though. Then again, the Annunciation is on March 25 May 31 is the Visitation. So, there ya go! :wink:

:peekleaves2:
Jennifer Lundgren

Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

Postby Noel+ » Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:31 pm

And there you go!

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:31 am

and I remembered that Feb. 2 is Candlemas or the Presentation of Jesus in the Temple. I think I read that in previous times, Candlemass, Feb 2, marked the final end of 'Christmas'. Here in Sweden, it ends on January with St. Knut's Day. Have to do more research on that one.

:peekleaves2: :snowwow:
Jennifer Lundgren

Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

Postby Noel+ » Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:11 pm

You're a fact-file on Christmas and its fun to learn so much! Thanks!

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Next

Return to Christmas in July