Perfect roast turkey

The place for Christmas and non-Christmas chatter.

Perfect roast turkey

Postby tinseltown » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:11 pm

Heres my secret to roasting your christmas turkey to perfection ! Wash well inside and out then salt and pepper it well . In your roasting tin put a large strip of foil length wise and then a long strip across . Using margarine or butter liberally spread all over the underside of the turkey and then sit on the foil in the tin . Then stuff the the turkey with whatever stuffing you prefer . Spread butter or marg then all over the breast and especially on the legs which tend to dry out . Take some strips of bacon with fat on them and lay these across the breast and over the legs . The fat from the bacon will soak in while cooking and keep the meat moist . Salt and pepper again and take take the foil and crimp together at the top so the turkey is enclosed but not to snug , you need air to circulate inside . Oven must be at 220 for the first 20 minutes then lower to 180 and cook 20 minutes per pound plus an extra 20 minutes at the end . Every hour i open the foil and baste well. Final 20 minutes turn back the foil and brown the breast and until timer popper pops up if there is one . Take out of oven and leave to sit for 20 minutes before carving . Prod the leg with a fork to make sure juices run clear and its cooked through . There you have a perfectly cooked turkey . The bacon is usually devoured by my cat and dog !! I will post a recipe for gravy made with the giblets if anyone,s intrested . My mouths watering just thinking about it !! :dinner:
[url][/url]
tinseltown
Christmas Tree Finder

Re: Perfect roast turkey

Postby kiwidogy_max » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:22 am

Turkey is my absolute favorite!!! I just made some turkey chili for dinner this evening.
Love and Joy Come to You!
Santa's coming Santa's coming! I know him!
kiwidogy_max
Toy Maker

Re: Perfect roast turkey

Postby Christmas Crazy » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:57 pm

tinseltown wrote:Heres my secret to roasting your christmas turkey to perfection ! Wash well inside and out then salt and pepper it well . In your roasting tin put a large strip of foil length wise and then a long strip across . Using margarine or butter liberally spread all over the underside of the turkey and then sit on the foil in the tin . Then stuff the the turkey with whatever stuffing you prefer . Spread butter or marg then all over the breast and especially on the legs which tend to dry out . Take some strips of bacon with fat on them and lay these across the breast and over the legs . The fat from the bacon will soak in while cooking and keep the meat moist . Salt and pepper again and take take the foil and crimp together at the top so the turkey is enclosed but not to snug , you need air to circulate inside . Oven must be at 220 for the first 20 minutes then lower to 180 and cook 20 minutes per pound plus an extra 20 minutes at the end . Every hour i open the foil and baste well. Final 20 minutes turn back the foil and brown the breast and until timer popper pops up if there is one . Take out of oven and leave to sit for 20 minutes before carving . Prod the leg with a fork to make sure juices run clear and its cooked through . There you have a perfectly cooked turkey . The bacon is usually devoured by my cat and dog !! I will post a recipe for gravy made with the giblets if anyone,s interested . My mouths watering just thinking about it !! :dinner:

I may just have to do this, this summer. Sounds so good!
Thanks Tinseltown!
Christmas Crazy
Sleigh Assistant

Return to Holiday Chatter