Which do you enjoy most

The place for Christmas and non-Christmas chatter.

Which do you enjoy most

Postby DJTEEL » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:17 pm

1.Christmas day itself or the holiday season leading up to it?

I actually enjoy the season more so than Christmas day itself.of course,realising too that Christmas day is the resulting reason for the season,i wouldn't say nay to it.

and
2.should the holiday season itself be officially lengthened to more than just november and december?i'd like to see the holiday season officially ,nationwide or globally,begin October 1st...maybe

and
3. of these 6 if only one was allowed to be played on the radio during the Christmas season which should it be?
1.Johnny Mathis 2.Bing Crosby 3.The carpenters 4, Burl Ives 5.Elvis Presley 6.Andy Wiiliams. 7Lady Gaga and katy the elderly tapeworm<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<kidding
>>>>>>> i found it in the last place that i looked,as they say.
what's weird is that i found it in the next place i looked also.
so now i have two of them and i only need one!!
<<<<<<<
DJTEEL
Elf Apprentice

Re: Which do you enjoy most

Postby mistletoe misfit » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:05 pm

:think:
1 The whole season and Christmas day itself! :D
2 Globally starting October 1st.
3 It wouldn't be Christmas without Holly,Jolly Christmas or White Christmas! :roll:
Thanks for the questions! Sorry I can't pick just one! :lol:
mistletoe misfit
Head Baker

Postby Christmas Crazy » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:33 am

1. I enjoy the holiday season leading up to it more. There's more to love. Decorating, baking, driving around to see the lights, the music and songs, the anticipation, shopping (and yes, I'm a guy who likes to shop, but only if I'm with my wife. Too boring alone.) The day itself has a whole other dynamic that I still enjoy.

2. Officially lengthen the holiday season? No. Too much of good thing can be bad in the long run. And I think most people on this forum already have a longer holiday season than most.

3. If I had to pick just one, then it's got to be Bing Crosby. I like the others listed a lot. But I think he's the best.

Great questions!

Only 100 shopping days left. :shop:
Christmas Crazy
Sleigh Assistant

Postby CandyKane » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:37 am

1) I love everything about Christmas. Christmas Day wouldn't be nearly as special without the joys of the season.

2) No, No, No. I would never want to extend the season into October. I enjoy Halloween and Thanksgiving WAY too much. For me the actual Christmas Season starts the day after Thanksgiving. Of course that doesn't stop me from enjoying Christmas year round.

3) If i had to choose only one.......Burl Ives

“Our hearts grow tender with childhood memories and love of kindred, and we are better throughout the year for having, in spirit, become a child again at Christmastime.”

― Laura Ingalls Wilder
CandyKane
Sleigh Assistant

Postby Stephanie » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:43 pm

1. I agree with you in that I enjoy the season more than the actual day. I enjoy Christmas Day, put part of the fun is preparing for the big day and the anticipation.

2. Nah. I wouldn't want to extend the season. But I've always including Thanksgiving as a part of the "Season". When I think of "The Holidays", I think of Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years. So, for me, The Holiday Season Starts November 1st and I usually step up my fall decorating and sometimes, Christmas sneaks in a little early. But I guess that, in a sense, I have extended the season, but I wouldn't want to start in October. However, if want to start in Octoer in your home then I say GO FOR IT! You're the only one that can say what's "too early" in your own home. :D

3. I have to say Johnny Mathis. He just sounds like Christmas to me. His rendition of "The Most Wonderful Time of the Year" is my absolute favorite. :singing:
Stephanie
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Noel+ » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:27 pm

To me Christmas is the day of the birth of my Savior, so that day truly is the most impactful. That said, we all enjoy all the activities leading up to the celebration of Jesus' birth.

And no........extending the season would be commercializing it more than it already is now. And then it would also lose some of the longing for that special day each year.

I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year! Charles Dickens
Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Pretjah » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:12 am

1 - i enjoy the season more for all the activities, anticipation and feel of the season but respect the actual day more if that makes sense.

2 - not in favor of globally doing anything. i think allowing people to make their own traditions and experiences around the holidays is the best thing.

3 - thats tough between crosby, mathias, ives and williams if i had to choose out of that group it'd probably be Ives with crosby being a very close second.
Pretjah
Toy Maker

Postby sugarcookie » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:14 pm

I definitely enjoy the anticipation of Christmas. I love spending time with my family surrounded by the twinkling lights and decorations, shopping for gifts & wrapping them, decorating, baking, listening to Christmas music, watching holiday movies...so many things. I actually get a bit sad on Christmas day because I know it's about to come to an end. I usually make myself feel better by thinking that the anticipation for the next Christmas can start all over again.

I don't think the holiday season should be officially lengthened. Although, most stores seem to see October as a Christmas month. By October, the shelves are usually stacked with holiday items. I think part of the reason Christmas is so special to many of us, besides the religious aspect, is that it lasts for a short period. It leaves us wanting more.

Lastly, I think I'd choose Bing Crosby....I like the classics. Nat King Cole, Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin...they fill my holiday cds.
Christmas is the most magical time of the year.

sugarcookie
Bulb Tester

Postby suzysnowflake » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:54 am

1. I enjoy the season leading up to it
2. I wouldn't want the season extended
3. Definitely Burl Ives for me
:carolbells:
suzysnowflake
Bulb Tester

Postby gameshowguy2000 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:46 pm

To answer #1, I prefer the entire holiday season itself.

For #2, I want it extended--in fact, like the site says, I want it ALL YEAR ROUND! (I know some of you would complain it's boring, but the site's title is why you're here, right?)

And last, but not least, for #3, I'd take Burl Ives (love Rudolph), then Mathis, then Crosby (I have his rendition of Silent Night on my MP3 player, from the Billboard Greatest Hits Christmas 1935-1954 album; does anybody know if it's featured in White Christmas, which coincidentally stars Crosby)?
"Who would imagine, who could imagine, who would imagine a king?"-Whitney Houston, The Preacher's Wife, 1996

gameshowguy2000
Tinsel Thrower

Postby tinseltown » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:05 pm

: I would love to decorate mid October but dont think my family would allow it ! :D I love the run up to christmas , the decorating ,shopping ,preparing special foods and listening to christmas songs and watching my collection of christmas films . I love the pot luck nights we have and the games we play like Humbug and charades . In Greece its a month where everyone plays poker at their homes and we only do that while the decorations are up :P Christmas dinner is special ,its the heart of christmas but towards New year i start to feel sad as i know we are getting close to finishing the holidays . Bing Crosbys White Christmas is hard to beat for a christmas song but i love the carols especially Oh Holy Night . :singing:
[url][/url]
tinseltown
Christmas Tree Finder

Postby msstock87 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:26 pm

I have always enjoyed the season more so then the actual day. I love all the preperations up to it, the baking, buying presents, decorating, planning. Although, I do enjoy the actual day as well :)
msstock87
Elf Apprentice

Postby ShellAvery » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:35 am

1. That's a tough one. I think it depends on the year, but it's hard to beat a real white Christmas morning with your family. It IS the reason for the season :)

2. No! I already hate how early they try to stretch it out. I agree with PP the season starts the day AFTER THANKSGIVING! I want to enjoy Halloween and Thanksgiving for what they are before squeezing every little bit of Christmas out of December :)

3. That's a tough call, but if I HAD to choose Bing Crosby!
ShellAvery
Elf Apprentice

Postby Mrs.Claus » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:55 am

The whole season leading up to and after the day. I love the anticipation, and the preparing, and yes, even the shopping.

2.Should the holiday season itself be officially lengthened to more than just November and December?

Not sure if it should be official, as it can be a very personal thing. I start really doing stuff the first Sunday of Advent, but would really like to start a few days before our Santa Claus parade (we have a get together after the parade and it would be nice to have a few things out and decorated then).

3. Of these 6 if only one was allowed to be played on the radio during the Christmas season which should it be?
1.Johnny Mathis 2.Bing Crosby 3.The carpenters 4. Burl Ives 5.Elvis Presley 6.Andy Williams.

Boy this is a difficult question. I would most likely choose Bing Crosby as my first pick, but I could change my mind every minute because I love to listen to such a wide variety of music.
~ Mrs. Claus ~

Mrs.Claus
The Mrs.

Postby kiwidogy_max » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:16 am

The whole season leading up to it. I love it!

2.Should the holiday season itself be officially lengthened to more than just November and December?

I would love to see it officially lengthened to before November. Then we may feel less rushed and be able to really enjoy this time of year more (even though it lives strongly in our hearts all year long).

3. Of these 6 if only one was allowed to be played on the radio during the Christmas season which should it be?
1.Johnny Mathis 2.Bing Crosby 3.The carpenters 4. Burl Ives 5.Elvis Presley 6.Andy Williams.

This is a close decision between Andy and Bing, but today I would give Andy the slight advantage.
Love and Joy Come to You!
Santa's coming Santa's coming! I know him!
kiwidogy_max
Toy Maker

Postby Noel+ » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:34 am

We all have such great Christmas taste! :smilecc:

I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year! Charles Dickens
Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby kiwidogy_max » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:26 am

We do have such good Christmas tastes...we should start a club! Ha!
kiwidogy_max
Toy Maker

Postby Noel+ » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:27 am

kiwidogy_max wrote:We do have such good Christmas tastes...we should start a club! Ha!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby kiwidogy_max » Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:03 pm

I enjoy this day best... Merry Christmas everyone!
kiwidogy_max
Toy Maker

Return to Holiday Chatter