QotM: Advent

The place for Christmas and non-Christmas chatter.

QotM: Advent

Postby Mrs.Claus » Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:46 am

Wow - I totally forgot about doing this. Here's the next question:

Do you celebrate Advent (the 4 weeks before Christmas)? If so, what does Advent mean to you? What things do you do for Advent?
~ Mrs. Claus ~

Mrs.Claus
The Mrs.

Re: QotM: Advent

Postby snowshoveler » Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:07 pm

I'm Lutheran and we celebrate by having a mid-week (wednesday) advent services. We have an advent wreath set up in the church and light a candle for every week in advent up to Christmas eve. For me, advent is a time to look forward to celebate Jesus's birth.
snowshoveler
Elf Apprentice

Postby Noel+ » Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:18 am

My parents did not include an Advent countdown in our celebrations, but some of my Aunts/Uncles and Grandparents did. I have an Advent Tree for my children -- each day they take out a tiny ornament depicting the scene in Bethlehem and we focus on the true meaning of Christmas.

I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year! Charles Dickens
Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Mrs.Claus » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:39 am

At the end of our chaotic day yesterday, I made sure we had the Advent wreath, tree books, and manger scene out, so we could still take a quiet few moments to focus on the Christ in Christmas.

I read a little devotional. One of the kids light a candle on the Advent wreath. Then we read the Christmas story (it's an ornament book) while reading one of the kids sets up the manger scene. Afterwards one of them puts the first ornament from the book on the tree. It surprises me that they really love doing it.
~ Mrs. Claus ~

Mrs.Claus
The Mrs.

Postby Merry Sage » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:57 pm

I'm trying to revive the Season of Advent among my friends and acquaintances. I'm a bit shocked sometimes at the number of people who claim never to have heard of it.

I've decided that its an excellent way to start getting Christmas back to what it once was ie: an entire season of waiting, preparation and celebration. Rather than the bah humbug-a lot of expense and bother for one day-nothing but a commercial rip-off attitude that seems so prevalent.

When the kid were small, we had a large felt hanging Advent calendar with a big felt tree on it. The 24 pockets on the calendar had a stuffed felt ornament that went on the tree each day. I set up a special Christmas card box in the kitchen and as cards were received, they went into the box, with everyone taking turns opening, then adding to the card display. Lots of squabbles; "you did it last time! its my turn! Mooooommmmm!" :elfgrin:

Each weekend there were Christmas stories to read and films to watch. The kids would take it in turns to set a new figurine in the Nativity barn under the tree. Baking, shopping and gift wrapping would be a family affair, insofar as you can do that with two excited children. We may all be living in different cities (countries in my case at the mo) and there's no little ones about (yet), but I still try to mark the passing of the Advent season with the same degree of thoughtfulness and enjoyment I did in years past.
Merry Sage
Head Baker

Return to Holiday Chatter