US Presidential Inauguration

The place for Christmas and non-Christmas chatter.

US Presidential Inauguration

Postby Mrs.Claus » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:22 am

Did you watch it? Were you able to actually be there? Any thoughts?
~ Mrs. Claus ~

Mrs.Claus
The Mrs.

Re: US Presidential Inauguration

Postby Mrs.Claus » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:26 am

Here in Canada (at my kids' school at least), it happened over the lunch hour and the principal was trying to get it so that each class could watch it in their classroom on the computer. Only thing was it played for a few seconds, then paused, then played a bit more, than paused longer; it was awful. So they wound up listening to it via radio over the PA system. That was pretty good. I was amazed at the kids' behaviour, especially the Grade 7 & 8s, they were respectful and actually listened. It was definitely a good moment.
~ Mrs. Claus ~

Mrs.Claus
The Mrs.

Postby Jodie » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:08 pm

Quite an historical moment for the USA, I think.

There seems to be a lot riding on this new President, I do hope he is up for the job (I can't imagine it would be an easy task, ever).

I really like him from what I have seen of him. He is charismatic and has great enthusiasm. The little girls are very cute.

I hope that he can do all that he has promised to do for the US. Recessions are such hard things.
Australia went through one back in the 1980's and so many lost jobs, homes, businesses - it was horrible. They say we are heading for another one because of the global economy and I don't doubt it but I do believe we are in a good position here in Australia to not have it too hard.

Jodie
Toy Maker

Postby Noel+ » Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:30 am

No, I missed all of it due to work schedule. I did see nightly news coverage and a coworker went to the ceremonies! He said it was "SOOOOO!" crowded you couldn't catch a glimpse of Obama with binoculars!!

As for the recession, it is worldwide. My financially geek DH thinks it will take 2 years at best to recover. He's hoping he, and other economists are wrong. He's made a new flat rule: get all debt paid off and stay debt free. I believe!

One country can't alter a world-economy enough to stop a recession. I feel empathy for Obama because people expect a quick fix. It is like a wedding...........it may be beautiful, but it doesn't make a good marriage without hard work!

I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year! Charles Dickens
Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby mistletoe misfit » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:15 am

I wasn't able to watch the inauguration. I was taking care of 5 little kiddies.
I have however watched interviews with him and his wife. He seems to be an honorable and good man. He's human, he makes mistakes and admits to doing so. I like him, however he is not a miracle worker. The man has come to be president in hard times. I believe he will do great things but he can't fix everything. I wish your president the best of luck!
mistletoe misfit
Head Baker

Postby Merry Sage » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:49 am

I find it a bit disturbing, and perhaps I'm wrong here, that he got elected more on the basis of his colour. Rather than his experience and abilities. The man's ethnicity isn't going to magically fix the problems facing America and the rest of the Planet. And he certainly doesn't need the added pressure of the race card. Its the 21st century and things like colour and gender should be a non-issue by now.

I wish him and his family all the luck in the World. Even a small amount of change for the better will be welcome. Perhaps if he can lead by example, others will follow.
:holly1:
Merry Sage
Head Baker

Postby Noel+ » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:27 am

Perhaps if he can lead by example, others will follow.

Yes, the best way to lead! :smilecc:

I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year! Charles Dickens
Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Stephanie » Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:52 am

Merry Sage wrote:I find it a bit disturbing, and perhaps I'm wrong here, that he got elected more on the basis of his colour. Rather than his experience and abilities. The man's ethnicity isn't going to magically fix the problems facing America and the rest of the Planet. And he certainly doesn't need the added pressure of the race card. Its the 21st century and things like colour and gender should be a non-issue by now.

I wish him and his family all the luck in the World. Even a small amount of change for the better will be welcome. Perhaps if he can lead by example, others will follow.
:holly1:

I don't think he was elected b/c he's black but people are making a big deal about it b/c he is black. I hope that made sense. LOL I don't think he was elected b/c he was black b/c he wasn't the first black man to run for president. He was just the first to win.

I feel bad for Obama though b/c this was a pretty divisive election. A lot of people are expecting him to do wonderful things and another group is just waiting for him to fail so they can say "I told you so!". Like someone else said, he's not a miracle worker and he's not perfect. I wish him the best though and I hope he's up for the challenge. :holly1: :D
Stephanie
Santa's Top Advisors

Return to Holiday Chatter