What did you do today?

The place for Christmas and non-Christmas chatter.

Re: What did you do today?

Postby Merry Sage » Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:19 pm

Errands, bit of housekeeping, trip to the library and the post office. Got a house/flat wanted ad on a couple of rental sites. Boy, its really hard to find a private landlord rather than the rental agents, who's fees in no way reflect service rendered. :roll:
Merry Sage
Head Baker

Postby nettescraps » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:13 pm

Today I will:
Go to work. I am giving a Geometry exam this week so we will be reviewing.
Take my DD to ballet class which means I get out of cooking a dinner (soup and sandwiches).
Reviewing addition facts with my DD. Her teacher is concerned about her math grade because she does not do well on her math timed tests. She knows her facts, I go over them weekly with her but because she becomes flustered when she is being timed the teacher is now concerned about her grade and her math placement. It is crazy that they are so concerned with speed in kindergarten. I teach high school math and I don't expect the students to whip through their assignments, that gives them more room for error. Crazy. :x
Holiday Baker
Mother of two beautiful children, wife to a wonderful husband, and fan of holiday movies
nettescraps
Bulb Tester

Postby mistletoe misfit » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:53 pm

nettescraps wrote:Today I will:
Go to work. I am giving a Geometry exam this week so we will be reviewing.
Take my DD to ballet class which means I get out of cooking a dinner (soup and sandwiches).
Reviewing addition facts with my DD. Her teacher is concerned about her math grade because she does not do well on her math timed tests. She knows her facts, I go over them weekly with her but because she becomes flustered when she is being timed the teacher is now concerned about her grade and her math placement. It is crazy that they are so concerned with speed in kindergarten. I teach high school math and I don't expect the students to whip through their assignments, that gives them more room for error. Crazy. :x

WOW!!!
Math timed tests in kindergarten!!! Oh, my Goodness!
I have a DD in grade 1 and another DD in junior kindergarten. DS is in grade 3 and just started taking tests in grade 2.
I thought that having any amount of homework in Kindergarten was a little crazy. Apparently that's nothing!
Poor dear, no wonder she's flustered!
I am shocked and almost speechless!
mistletoe misfit
Head Baker

Postby Noel+ » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:21 am

WORK: 11.5 hrs :cry:

I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year! Charles Dickens
Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby mistletoe misfit » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:06 pm

Today I will clean house, spend time with DH and kids. DS has a play off game at 6, so we will be off to cheer on his team. Tomorrow is family day, hubby took it off from work and we will all spend it just hanging out watching movies, playing games.
mistletoe misfit
Head Baker

Postby Merry Sage » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:21 pm

Breakfast and an hour with Countryfile on the BBC. My favourite way to start a Sunday. Did a quick load of wash, dishes done. Spent a chunk of the afternoon working on some things for my business. Must go have a poke round the freezer soon and decide what to make for supper. :holly1:
Merry Sage
Head Baker

Postby Noel+ » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:27 am

I slept in until I woke up! Beautiful rest! Then just a quiet day of fixing meals, watching dvds w/family, and paying some bills. A great day of rejuvenation!

I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year! Charles Dickens
Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Merry Sage » Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:30 am

Noel+ wrote:I slept in until I woke up!

:laugh:
Merry Sage
Head Baker

Postby mistletoe misfit » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:15 pm

Yesterday we had a very nice Family day! We went over to the outdoor rink at the sports fields. DH,DD6 and DS8 skated for quite awhile. DD4 who is trying to learn was done in about 20 minutes. LOL So I took her to play on the slide. Afterwards we came home and watched Wall E.
Today DD4, the little one I take care of and I went to playgroup. Had lunch, now the little one is sleeping peacefully, DD4 is resting(not sleeping) on the couch. I am about to pour a coffee and popped on here for a little bit.
mistletoe misfit
Head Baker

Postby Merry Sage » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:38 pm

I've got a cold so I was pretty slow getting out of bed this morning. But I did get out for a short walk late this afternoon. Made a nice dish of cheesy cottage pie for supper. :holly1:
Merry Sage
Head Baker

Postby Merry Sage » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:43 pm

Some housekeeping and a lot of phone calls and paperwork for DH's business. Also got out for a bit and picked up some multi-vitamins for us both. What with the lack of sun, our less than great eating habits of late and the grinding schedule Kev has set himself to get this business off the ground, I think a supplement is needed. :holly1:
Merry Sage
Head Baker

Postby Jodie » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:22 pm

It is Saturday 14th March at 11.21am here right now and I am just catching up on the PC with the forums - I don't get enough time to do these little things anymore

Jodie
Toy Maker

Postby Merry Sage » Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:15 am

Today I won't be doing a lot. Its been a right dog's dinner of a week here. I've aired the house, done a bit of tidying and other than a walk later and finding something in the freezer for supper later, I'm aiming to keep it simple! :flake:
Merry Sage
Head Baker

Postby Jodie » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:33 pm

Life is so busy - I really wish it would slow down.

Work, work, Uni, house cleaning, paying bills, shopping, walking the pooch (but that is not really a chore)..

I wish I had more time for photography, I have hardly done any all year so far.

Jodie
Toy Maker

Postby Merry Sage » Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:56 pm

We're now officially one of the 2 million people in the U.K. who have been hit by the recession. We spent a chunk of today getting signed up for state benefits as we've run through our savings trying to get hubby's business off the ground. Its not worked, though it may down the road. Things are pretty grim over here, but for all the bad government etc.. there is a fair bit of financial support for people who need it. You can't say that about too many countries.

Anyway, we both continue job hunting, working to improve Kev's business and trying to stay positive. They say its going to get worse before it gets better. Quite a day eh?
:sleephat:
Merry Sage
Head Baker

Postby Noel+ » Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:20 am

Here in America the recession is sliding into an official depression. My sister, who has a degree plus 2 decades of experience, cannot find a job. Neither can other family members & friends.

My job is secure for NOW. But they are keeping a records of "Errors" in preparation of layoffs. This morning I received an email that I made 2 errors on Monday. You are only allowed 2 a month.

Focusing on the fear of mistakes is not a positive solution to reducing them! I stand by affirmations and I plan to R&R all day long tomorrow!!!!!

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Merry Sage » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:49 am

We got home late yesterday afternoon after a week house/pet sitting for the SIL and her hubby. Last night and this morning I've been catching up on the inevitable mountain of laundry that mysteriously seems to appear when you've been away.

I have a couple of errands to do later and think of something for supper.
:flake:
Merry Sage
Head Baker

Postby Jodie » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:33 pm

Working to get tax returns done by June 30 for all the late lodgers at the moment. Our govt is giving everyone who earned under $80K last year a $900 bonus so they go out and spend it to stimulate the economy...

I personally think it is a waste of public funds and it would be better spent on infrastructure... We are in recession here in Australia too but not doing as badly as some countries. The job losses are starting to come now though and people are worried.

So busy trying to get all that done and read heaps because I have an exam in a few weeks.

I am looking forward to a couple of days off over easter.

Jodie
Toy Maker

Postby Merry Sage » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:33 am

Good luck with the exam Jodie! I think your right in that its mostly the U.S. and the U.K., at least at the moment, that's getting hit hardest by the recession. Them and poor little Iceland. Who ever heard of a country going bankrupt? Unemployment here is at 2M, expected to rise to 3M by the start of 2010.

Its sad to think that some people may never recover from this mess and the perpetrators are not only getting bailed out with public money, but walking away scot free to boot. :razzberry:
Merry Sage
Head Baker

Postby Jodie » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:51 am

Did a trial of a new chocolate and pistachio fudge - it was so easy and very delicious. It is going to be a perfect gift for those that drop in during Easter and at Christmas time.

350g of dark chocolate
400g can of condensed milk
30g butter
pinch of salt
150g pistachio nuts

melt chocolate, condensed milk, butter and salt in a heavy pan over low heat until combined.

put nuts in a plastic bag and bash with a rolling pin until some are in small pieces and some are in bigger pieces and then add this to the melted chocolate mixture.

Pour into a pan and let cool before refridgerating. Cut into bits and bag up in small bags for gifts or eat

Jodie
Toy Maker

PreviousNext

Return to Holiday Chatter