CHRISTMAS 2015

The place for Christmas and non-Christmas chatter.

Re: CHRISTMAS 2015

Postby Noel+ » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:56 pm

Jolly O'Leary wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNqFvv_Imjg

Since Sweden does not have a "thanksgiving culture", we have to borrow from the Canadian. First Thanksgiving, then Halloween, then Thanksgiving, then Christmas! I was teasing Perky saying that if we had had children, they would have been so confused. Swedes already get Thanksgiving and Halloween mixed up. :laugh: :thanks:

:laugh: Too Thanksgiving/Halloween/Thanksgiving/Christmas cute. :wink:

I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year! Charles Dickens
Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Noel+ » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:58 pm

CandyKane wrote:You could not ask for a more beautiful Fall day. I've been outside playing with the puppies. My Dads stock dog had pups and of course my dd had to have one. And since she couldn't decide which one she wanted she had to have two. They really are sweet but I foresee lots of problems when the Christmas decorations go up. They love to play....with everything. :elf:

What a beautiful Autumn day you described CK. :peekleaves2: And puppies are always a joy....until Christmas trees are set up. Time to puppy-proof your home. :wink:

I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year! Charles Dickens
Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Noel+ » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:04 pm

Facebook is bringing out a grinch in me. Struggling to remain a calm elf. Remember a few months ago I posted a hacker had set up duplicate accounts? Three of them with my info. Facebook "closed" the accounts. They wiped mine clean n & I reset using no family details. Well somehow that account is "locked" due to another hack attempt. No Facebook for this elf.

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby CandyKane » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:42 pm

Sorry about your Facebook troubles Noel. I know a lot of people have been hacked. If it weren't for messages I wouldn't even check mine anymore. It used to be fun now it's more problems and drama. Sending Christmas wishes for a quick Facebook fix. :rabstar:

“Our hearts grow tender with childhood memories and love of kindred, and we are better throughout the year for having, in spirit, become a child again at Christmastime.”

― Laura Ingalls Wilder
CandyKane
Sleigh Assistant

Postby Noel+ » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:48 pm

Thank you CandyKane. That lifts my Christmas spirits! :angelsnow:

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Christmas Crazy » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:59 pm

Noel+ wrote:Facebook is bringing out a grinch in me. Struggling to remain a calm elf. Remember a few months ago I posted a hacker had set up duplicate accounts? Three of them with my info. Facebook "closed" the accounts. They wiped mine clean n & I reset using no family details. Well somehow that account is "locked" due to another hack attempt. No Facebook for this elf.

I think it's time for Facebook to go away. I've been seriously thinking of closing my account. Next they'll be taking all the fun out of Christmas.
Christmas Crazy
Sleigh Assistant

Postby Christmas Crazy » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:05 pm

Noel+ wrote:
CandyKane wrote:You could not ask for a more beautiful Fall day. I've been outside playing with the puppies. My Dads stock dog had pups and of course my dd had to have one. And since she couldn't decide which one she wanted she had to have two. They really are sweet but I foresee lots of problems when the Christmas decorations go up. They love to play....with everything. :elf:

What a beautiful Autumn day you described CK. :peekleaves2: And puppies are always a joy....until Christmas trees are set up. Time to puppy-proof your home. :wink:

Love them puppies too. As long as they are someone elses.
We had a beautiful fall day also. High 50's this morning to low 80's this afternoon.

Michelle and I went fishing this morning at a friends cabin deep in the woods of Georgia. Didn't catch very many. Maybe 10 fish total. But we had a great time. Tomorrow we are heading to a zoo in Albany, GA. Looking forward to a great time.

Nothing Christmasy to report right now.
Christmas Crazy
Sleigh Assistant

Postby Noel+ » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:43 pm

Christmas Crazy wrote:
Noel+ wrote:Facebook is bringing out a grinch in me. Struggling to remain a calm elf. Remember a few months ago I posted a hacker had set up duplicate accounts? Three of them with my info. Facebook "closed" the accounts. They wiped mine clean n & I reset using no family details. Well somehow that account is "locked" due to another hack attempt. No Facebook for this elf.

I think it's time for Facebook to go away. I've been seriously thinking of closing my account. Next they'll be taking all the fun out of Christmas.

My DH said they never delete your account even if you close it! What?! They leave the info on the net forever for anyone to steal. He wants me to close it but I want to keep it for contact with relatives far away. But it's FROZEN so I won't be able to share Christmas with them. They are officially crunches. :|

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Noel+ » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:47 pm

Christmas Crazy so glad you are enjoying your vacation days. A beautiful way to enjoy the beauty of Autumn! :peekleaves2:

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:27 am

57F at the North Pole at the moment. Yesterday I saw frost on the ground from the bus and Perky said he saw people scraping ice of their cars. Time to dig out the ice boots and heavy gloves just in case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlBfu1S1Hug

There is a link to the OTR program Our Miss Brooks. On further inspection of my tiny chicken, I am wondering if it is a squab, so that makes the episode quite appropriate. I will make that on Saturday along with the pumpkin tarts (no evaporated milk at the North Pole, so always a challenge) and then make "Just like thanksgiving chicken" for hubby on Sunday. We have a "big" (think large chicken size) turkey in the freezer. I am not sure if we will cook it the weekend before American Thanksgiving or Christmas Day. The problem is not cooking and eating, it is the cleaning of the carcus (sp). I like the results, but not the process. :thanks:
Jennifer Lundgren
originally from San Antonio, Texas (USA)

LIfe is one Christmas adventure after another.
Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:29 am

Also in honor of Swedish and Canadian Thanksgiving is a movie list.

http://www.poemofquotes.com/articles/th ... movies.php

I checked with a Canadian friend to see if there were any Canadian thanskgiving movies. They said they just watch the American ones. LOL I saw a really sad one last year with at least 2 generations of the Bridges Family. Don't remember the name of it, but if you find it, have hankies handy. It is not nearly as much fun as Christmas.
Jennifer Lundgren

Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:21 am

Noel+ wrote:

Since Sweden does not have a "thanksgiving culture", we have to borrow from the Canadian. First Thanksgiving, then Halloween, then Thanksgiving, then Christmas! I was teasing Perky saying that if we had had children, they would have been so confused. Swedes already get Thanksgiving and Halloween mixed up. :laugh: :thanks:

to make matters even more confusing. Swedes do not necessarily celebrate Halloween on October 31. They celebrate the week before "All Saints Day" weekend which is the Saturday that falls between October 31 and November 6. The Friday before "All saint's day" is a half holiday for most or a whole holiday. So this year, "Halloween" is October 24 when the schools let out for "höstlov" (fall break) , All Saints day is October 31, and usually All Soul's Day is on Sunday of that weekend. However, I see my Swedish calendar calls both Saturday and Sunday "all saints day". Perky finds it confusing that the rest of the world celebrates Halloween (All Hallow's Eve.........) on October 31, All Saint's Day is November 1, and All Souls Day is Nov. 2. IN San Antonio, they sort of all merge into Dia de los muertos, but no one gets a day off from work.

I had a teacher complain yesterday that the students have a break the last week of October because their previous course ends early and the new one does not start until November 2. Technically it is not a break, but I was not allowed to schedule classes that week because I was told "It's like Christmas". huh???? In the old days, people would travel to where they ancestors were buried much like Dia de los muertos, but nowadays it is a big commercial holiday.

We got married on October 27, which was Swedish Halloween that year. The Corpse Bride is our "wedding movie". We usually plant the cemetery garden the week before and take an anniversary cruise over the long weekend. Friday is a half day.
Jennifer Lundgren

Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:24 am

Looking through my old Thanksgiving cooking magazines and feeling homesick. The proposed March trip may not work out because of my job move so we might be there for next Thanskgiving which gives us more time to save, is cheaper to travel, and is better weather in San Antonio. It might be the year we get to go for Thanksgiving and stay until Christmas.
Jennifer Lundgren

Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:34 am

Does anybody have ambrosia and a side salad on your Thanksgiving table? The ex's aunt used to do Thanksgiving in a big way. Some of the most beautiful table scapes you could imagine with a crystal cup of ambrosia and a side salad already prepared at each spot. I am trying to remember if she made ambrosia for Thanksgiving as well as Christmas. I am thinking pear salad is a nice idea.
Jennifer Lundgren

Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

Postby CandyKane » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:35 am

Christmas Crazy wrote:
Noel+ wrote:

Love them puppies too. As long as they are someone elses.
We had a beautiful fall day also. High 50's this morning to low 80's this afternoon.

Michelle and I went fishing this morning at a friends cabin deep in the woods of Georgia. Didn't catch very many. Maybe 10 fish total. But we had a great time. Tomorrow we are heading to a zoo in Albany, GA. Looking forward to a great time.

Nothing Christmasy to report right now.

Sounds like a lovely way to spend your day. :peekleaves2: The leaves are just beginning to turn here. Lots of beautiful reds and oranges. The cooler temps and beautiful colors makes spending time outdoors even better. Your zoo trip sounds fun. Glad you're able to make the most of your vacation. You've got your Christmas Spirit with you! :smilecc:

“Our hearts grow tender with childhood memories and love of kindred, and we are better throughout the year for having, in spirit, become a child again at Christmastime.”

― Laura Ingalls Wilder
CandyKane
Sleigh Assistant

Postby CandyKane » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:38 am

October 8th already. We'll blink a few more times and this month will be over. I love this time of year. It's filled with a flurry of activity. We're on the downhill slide to Christmas folks. And it's gonna come in a hurry. :thumbs:

― Laura Ingalls Wilder
CandyKane
Sleigh Assistant

Postby Noel+ » Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:01 pm

Jolly O'Leary wrote:Does anybody have ambrosia and a side salad on your Thanksgiving table? The ex's aunt used to do Thanksgiving in a big way. Some of the most beautiful table scapes you could imagine with a crystal cup of ambrosia and a side salad already prepared at each spot. I am trying to remember if she made ambrosia for Thanksgiving as well as Christmas. I am thinking pear salad is a nice idea.

Jolly I'm not home so cannot check recipes. Try our food section or recipes.com. Pear ambrosia sounds good for Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner.

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Noel+ » Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:06 pm

Jolly O'Leary wrote:
Noel+ wrote:

to make matters even more confusing. Swedes do not necessarily celebrate Halloween on October 31. They celebrate the week before "All Saints Day" weekend which is the Saturday that falls between October 31 and November 6. The Friday before "All saint's day" is a half holiday for most or a whole holiday. So this year, "Halloween" is October 24 when the schools let out for "höstlov" (fall break) , All Saints day is October 31, and usually All Soul's Day is on Sunday of that weekend. However, I see my Swedish calendar calls both Saturday and Sunday "all saints day". Perky finds it confusing that the rest of the world celebrates Halloween (All Hallow's Eve.........) on October 31, All Saint's Day is November 1, and All Souls Day is Nov. 2. IN San Antonio, they sort of all merge into Dia de los muertos, but no one gets a day off from work.

I had a teacher complain yesterday that the students have a break the last week of October because their previous course ends early and the new one does not start until November 2. Technically it is not a break, but I was not allowed to schedule classes that week because I was told "It's like Christmas". huh???? In the old days, people would travel to where they ancestors were buried much like Dia de los muertos, but nowadays it is a big commercial holiday.

We got married on October 27, which was Swedish Halloween that year. The Corpse Bride is our "wedding movie". We usually plant the cemetery garden the week before and take an anniversary cruise over the long weekend. Friday is a half day.

Enjoy your anniversary cruise this year Jolly. :smilecc:

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Noel+ » Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:09 pm

CandyKane wrote:October 8th already. We'll blink a few more times and this month will be over. I love this time of year. It's filled with a flurry of activity. We're on the downhill slide to Christmas folks. And it's gonna come in a hurry. :thumbs:

Still summer temps here. 93F today & near 99 for next 10 days. :peekleaves2:

Until further notice please send all unwanted cold; rain; hail;frost and snow my way. Then it will feel like Christmas is coming soon. Enjoy your beautiful Autumn weather CK! :peekleaves2:

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Noel+ » Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:10 pm

1900 Christmas posts !! :smilecc:

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

PreviousNext

Return to Holiday Chatter