2013: 2300 Posts til Christmas

The place for Christmas and non-Christmas chatter.

Re: 2013: 2300 Posts til Christmas

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:28 pm

Christmas Crazy wrote:
Noel+ wrote:Our Christmas Countdown officially starts the day before Thanksgiving according to my sweet DH. The real truth is we start celebrating the day after Christmas and continue on til the next one. :wink: Still, as always, trying to keep Christmas in my heart every day of the year [thanks to Dickens] :smilecc:

According to Michelle, our family Christmas countdown doesn't begin untill Thanksgiving Day just after lunch. My Christmas All Year thing is only mine. (Bah Humbug)
Just this week I was chastised for talking about Christmas. I was telling her that it would be fun to go to SeaWorld at Christmas time. They have a thing called Christmas Town.
http://seaworldparks.com/en/christmastown-tampa Check it out. Very neat.

I bet if you took them to Christmas Inn they might change their mind. Sea World in San Antonio had Christmas shows for a few years, but do not know if they continued. It was a lot of fun. Christmas in SA can be 30F or 80F........not much Christmas snow. :snowwow:
Jennifer Lundgren
originally from San Antonio, Texas (USA)

LIfe is one Christmas adventure after another.
Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

Postby Noel+ » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:22 pm

In Arizona we've had temps over 98F on Christmas Day. I still dream of S N O W - :snowwow: - and love it when we go 'home' to Indy to celebrate.

I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year! Charles Dickens
Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Noel+ » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:26 pm

A friend of my brother is driving him up to Phoenix tomorrow to see the house! I am so excited and pray he truly loves it. We're also going to move his solid cherry furniture into the house: he has a king sleigh bed and nightstand for the bedroom. I also need to find room for 3 more bookcases in the family room. The study is full.

Bringing in 5 pieces of furniture after donating 5 of our older ones. We also gave away our old large-screen Mitsubishi and 2 Panasonic flat screens [old technology per my brother]. I opted not to have tvs in the bedrooms now. While I've missed having tv at night, it distracts from family & private time. So tomorrow off we go to Walmart & Best Buy to purchase a new smart tv, blue ray player and cords. Directv installs our HD system next Tuesday and I'm excited to have Netflix/Hulu/Amazon Prime streaming on a large tv.

Best of all by Christmas movie time I'll have learned how to use this fancy new technology! Err..........I hope so anyway.

:scene: HA! God has such a great sense of humor.

I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year! Charles Dickens
Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:36 am

Merry Friday Christmas! It has been so hectic this week. I am so looking forward to the start of the term when all the "emergencies" calm down for a bit. Will try listening to some christmas tunes later. I found an extra charging cord for the mp4 in work storage, so I appropriated it and can now listen to my mp4 without fear the battery will go to low for the trip home. Christmas is so far away..........
Jennifer Lundgren

Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

Postby Christmas Crazy » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:18 am

Noel+ wrote:A friend of my brother is driving him up to Phoenix tomorrow to see the house! I am so excited and pray he truly loves it. We're also going to move his solid cherry furniture into the house: he has a king sleigh bed and nightstand for the bedroom. I also need to find room for 3 more bookcases in the family room. The study is full.

Bringing in 5 pieces of furniture after donating 5 of our older ones. We also gave away our old large-screen Mitsubishi and 2 Panasonic flat screens [old technology per my brother]. I opted not to have tvs in the bedrooms now. While I've missed having tv at night, it distracts from family & private time. So tomorrow off we go to Walmart & Best Buy to purchase a new smart tv, blue ray player and cords. Directv installs our HD system next Tuesday and I'm excited to have Netflix/Hulu/Amazon Prime streaming on a large tv.

Best of all by Christmas movie time I'll have learned how to use this fancy new technology! Err..........I hope so anyway.

Wow! Exciting times Noel. It sounds like you are truly having Christmas in August. :elfgrin:
Christmas Crazy
Sleigh Assistant

Postby jlcarey » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:48 am

Noel+ wrote:
We also gave away our old large-screen Mitsubishi and 2 Panasonic flat screens [old technology per my brother]. I opted not to have tvs in the bedrooms now. While I've missed having tv at night, it distracts from family & private time. So tomorrow off we go to Walmart & Best Buy to purchase a new smart tv, blue ray player and cords. Directv installs our HD system next Tuesday and I'm excited to have Netflix/Hulu/Amazon Prime streaming on a large tv.

Ha, sounds like my house, Noel! We don't do tv's in bedrooms either (MUCH to the dismay of my two kids!) and we have 3 large flat panel tv's, with Roku boxes attached to them all so we can stream Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Plex, which streams our movies that are copied to a special hard drive designated JUST for them (my husband is a super techie...)...and our Google Chromecast is being shipped as I type this (hubby is SUPER excited about this new technology!) We also have the new XBox One pre-ordered...even I am super excited for that, it has some REALLY cool new technology embedded in it! We will be able to control EVERYTHING to do with our tv, movies, etc., by VOICE (even changing inputs on the tv, stereo, etc.)! It's going to be awesome! Needless to say, that was HIS Christmas present...so saves me having to go buy something! lol (I probably will anyway...) :smilecc:
jlcarey
Bulb Tester

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:35 am

I can understand not having TV´s in the bedroom, but for us, the only time we watch tv is between 9 and 10 pm and in bed. We usually sometimes watch movies on the weekendsa but usually are too tired and go to bed at the regular time to sleep! Kids think adults get to stay up as long as we want, and in reality we just want to go to bed early so we can sleep. LOL Too bad we cannot bottle all that energy for later in life. I have a computer in the kitchen which is where most ofmy tv show/movie watching takes place while I am doing other things. That is one thing I miss about my former life, the simplicity of dinner, dishes, shower, and then a good movie every night. Oh, those were the days, so many christmas movies, so little time.
Jennifer Lundgren

Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

Postby Christmas Crazy » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:25 am

ImageMerry Friday Christmas!!!Image
Christmas Crazy
Sleigh Assistant

Postby Noel+ » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:00 pm

Jolly O'Leary wrote:Merry Friday Christmas! It has been so hectic this week. I am so looking forward to the start of the term when all the "emergencies" calm down for a bit. Will try listening to some christmas tunes later. I found an extra charging cord for the mp4 in work storage, so I appropriated it and can now listen to my mp4 without fear the battery will go to low for the trip home. Christmas is so far away..........

Oh, Jennifer, Christmas is very close now. It's September with Autumn's beauty in just a few days. You need a little Christmas music and happy for you to be able to use your MP4! :D

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Noel+ » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:03 pm

Christmas Crazy wrote:
Noel+ wrote:A friend of my brother is driving him up to Phoenix tomorrow to see the house! I am so excited and pray he truly loves it. We're also going to move his solid cherry furniture into the house: he has a king sleigh bed and nightstand for the bedroom. I also need to find room for 3 more bookcases in the family room. The study is full.

Wow! Exciting times Noel. It sounds like you are truly having Christmas in August. :elfgrin:

Yes, its been a hectic, stressful Christmas in August BUT God is working it all out in his time & way. You know, when the flood occured,. both my siblings said to me: "I think this is perfect timing". I was overwhelmed, and the fight with the insurance company continues [and my pocketbook dimenishes daily to provide for what they will not cover] BUT God! is completing it beautifully. In a month or so we need a new roof and outside trim painted. Life is never sedentary..........and a home is a major expense........but brings such joy to family! :D

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Noel+ » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:07 pm

jlcarey wrote:
Noel+ wrote:
We also gave away our old large-screen Mitsubishi and 2 Panasonic flat screens [old technology per my brother]. I opted not to have tvs in the bedrooms now. While I've missed having tv at night, it distracts from family & private time. So tomorrow off we go to Walmart & Best Buy to purchase a new smart tv, blue ray player and cords. Directv installs our HD system next Tuesday and I'm excited to have Netflix/Hulu/Amazon Prime streaming on a large tv.

Ha, sounds like my house, Noel! We don't do tv's in bedrooms either (MUCH to the dismay of my two kids!) and we have 3 large flat panel tv's, with Roku boxes attached to them all so we can stream Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Plex, which streams our movies that are copied to a special hard drive designated JUST for them (my husband is a super techie...)...and our Google Chromecast is being shipped as I type this (hubby is SUPER excited about this new technology!) We also have the new XBox One pre-ordered...even I am super excited for that, it has some REALLY cool new technology embedded in it! We will be able to control EVERYTHING to do with our tv, movies, etc., by VOICE (even changing inputs on the tv, stereo, etc.)! It's going to be awesome! Needless to say, that was HIS Christmas present...so saves me having to go buy something! lol (I probably will anyway...) :smilecc:

WOW! jlcarey your hubby is a super-techie! I didn't even know Google Chromecast existed. I'm a total low-techie. It sounds wonderful! ENJOY!

Ode to my brother: he kept telling me that I needed to give in to DH as we needed new electronics. I come from poor backgrounds, and we didn't replace something unless it was broken. Ok, and I can be a tad stubborn :oops: When we looked at the new smart tvs last night at Walmart/Fry's I was astounded to see how thin, light and totally clear the picture beamed. Now, I see the wisdom behind the need to replace electronics atleast once a decade. :lol: :lol:

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Noel+ » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:09 pm

Jolly O'Leary wrote:I can understand not having TV´s in the bedroom, but for us, the only time we watch tv is between 9 and 10 pm and in bed. We usually sometimes watch movies on the weekendsa but usually are too tired and go to bed at the regular time to sleep! Kids think adults get to stay up as long as we want, and in reality we just want to go to bed early so we can sleep. LOL Too bad we cannot bottle all that energy for later in life. I have a computer in the kitchen which is where most ofmy tv show/movie watching takes place while I am doing other things. That is one thing I miss about my former life, the simplicity of dinner, dishes, shower, and then a good movie every night. Oh, those were the days, so many christmas movies, so little time.

Well, Jolly, I loved having a tv in the bedroom for some of the same reason as yours. But kids watch way too much tv/games now-a-days and then they're not participating in family movie times. AND to be honest, we really cannot afford to replace all 4 tvs and add Directv boxes in each room, [from my POV]. I'll miss being able to set the sleep timer, watch a relaxing Christmas movie in bed, and nod off to sleep. What I think I'll gain is more control of my time..........more for God, more for family and more for me. That's the intent ........I'll let ya'll know how it works out in reality. :wink:

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:51 pm

Noel+ wrote:
Jolly O'Leary wrote:I can understand not having TV´s in the bedroom, but for us, the only time we watch tv is between 9 and 10 pm and in bed. We usually sometimes watch movies on the weekendsa but usually are too tired and go to bed at the regular time to sleep! Kids think adults get to stay up as long as we want, and in reality we just want to go to bed early so we can sleep. LOL Too bad we cannot bottle all that energy for later in life. I have a computer in the kitchen which is where most ofmy tv show/movie watching takes place while I am doing other things. That is one thing I miss about my former life, the simplicity of dinner, dishes, shower, and then a good movie every night. Oh, those were the days, so many christmas movies, so little time.

Well, Jolly, I loved having a tv in the bedroom for some of the same reason as yours. But kids watch way too much tv/games now-a-days and then they're not participating in family movie times. AND to be honest, we really cannot afford to replace all 4 tvs and add Directv boxes in each room, [from my POV]. I'll miss being able to set the sleep timer, watch a relaxing Christmas movie in bed, and nod off to sleep. What I think I'll gain is more control of my time..........more for God, more for family and more for me. That's the intent ........I'll let ya'll know how it works out in reality. :wink:

Someone was saying they used a program to upload their own movies and transfer them to their own devices. We do this, but I think their information is newer. Your brother can probably help you with that. Then you can watch a little (no pun intended) in bed. I use the mp4 on the bus and in bed when hubby is sleeping and I cannot. I think it was jlcarey that mentioned such technology. You have to read back on the posts a few pages. I started Sweet November (1968) today . Hubby asked if we are gearing up for "Christmas in December"....actually. He said we need a fall Christmas.
Jennifer Lundgren

Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

Postby jlcarey » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:02 pm

Jolly O'Leary wrote:
Someone was saying they used a program to upload their own movies and transfer them to their own devices.

That was me!! That is the Plex program I mentioned... :holly1:
jlcarey
Bulb Tester

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:02 pm

JLcarey,

so if you do not do tv´s in the bedroom, where do you have your three flat tv´s? That would be three times the fun Christmas viewing.
Jennifer Lundgren

Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

Postby jlcarey » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:05 pm

Jolly O'Leary wrote:JLcarey,

so if you do not do tv´s in the bedroom, where do you have your three flat tv´s? That would be three times the fun Christmas viewing.

We have one in our living room, one in our "computer room" (this is the one the kids use the most) and one in the hubby's "workout room"...I sure would LOVE to have one in my kitchen though...I do spend an awful lot of time in there, and I'm always using the tablet or my phone to watch movies while I'm cooking. :elfgrin:
jlcarey
Bulb Tester

Postby Noel+ » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:24 pm

:D :D agreed!

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Noel+ » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:27 pm

jlcarey wrote:

We have one in our living room, one in our "computer room" (this is the one the kids use the most) and one in the hubby's "workout room"...I sure would LOVE to have one in my kitchen though...I do spend an awful lot of time in there, and I'm always using the tablet or my phone to watch movies while I'm cooking. :elfgrin:

You'd love one in the kitchen. My sister has one and it helps pass the hours standing there preparing dishes. On Sunday she bakes ahead for the next week and that's such a help. My kitchen is ranch style..........my house is old.........and there just isn't room for one now. I'd love to watch Christmas movies when preparing Turkey Day meal! :D

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Noel+ » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:28 pm

What a very long but joyous day!!

My brother decided to help us and then had a pneumonia breathing relapse. We finished the chores.

My Samsung smart tv is gorgeous and bought a blu-ray player to go with it. Now I have to read the books to learn how to use it.

Smiling and looking forward to watching Christmas movies!!! :smilecc:

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Christmas Crazy » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:48 pm

Noel+ wrote:What a very long but joyous day!!

My brother decided to help us and then had a pneumonia breathing relapse. We finished the chores.

My Samsung smart tv is gorgeous and bought a blu-ray player to go with it. Now I have to read the books to learn how to use it.

Smiling and looking forward to watching Christmas movies!!! :smilecc:

I've always bought Sony TVs. But the new Samsung smart TVs are very impressive. Not sure which one I will buy next, but that will be many Christmases from now.
Enjoy your smart TV.
:D
Christmas Crazy
Sleigh Assistant

PreviousNext

Return to Holiday Chatter