CHRISTMAS 2015

The place for Christmas and non-Christmas chatter.

Re: CHRISTMAS 2015

Postby kiwidogy_max » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:43 pm

Those Hallmark Christmas cookie cutters are indeed an amazing find!
Love and Joy Come to You!
Santa's coming Santa's coming! I know him!
kiwidogy_max
Toy Maker

Postby Noel+ » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:41 pm

kiwidogy_max wrote:Noel, thank you for the support. This christmas community always makes me feel better.

Me too Kiwi. People who love Christmas make the beet friends.

:smilecc:

I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year! Charles Dickens
Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby kiwidogy_max » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:24 am

While looking up creative and interesting ways to use your Christmas tree after the season is over (even though it's never really over in my head), I learned that they make great winter mulch for gardens. Apparently they protect and fertilize the soil during the harsh winter months. I also learned that If you collect bunch of the needles, you can put them in a small bag and use them like potpourri. I love the smell of Christmas trees and would love to try this to keep the house smelling great all year long. I will be slicing up part of the trunk and hang the disks throughout the cellar to keep that atmosphere as well.
kiwidogy_max
Toy Maker

Postby kiwidogy_max » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:27 am

:smilecc: Tonight was the first night back for pickup basketball after the Christmas break. I moved around like I ate 5 pounds of fudge (I willnit divulge whether that is in fact accurate). My knees are going to be very sore tomorrow. I hope everyone has a good night. It is going to get down to -20 degrees F in the next few days here. Everyone stay warm! :scene:
kiwidogy_max
Toy Maker

Postby Noel+ » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:58 am

kiwidogy_max wrote:While looking up creative and interesting ways to use your Christmas tree after the season is over (even though it's never really over in my head), I learned that they make great winter mulch for gardens. Apparently they protect and fertilize the soil during the harsh winter months. I also learned that If you collect bunch of the needles, you can put them in a small bag and use them like potpourri. I love the smell of Christmas trees and would love to try this to keep the house smelling great all year long. I will be slicing up part of the trunk and hang the disks throughout the cellar to keep that atmosphere as well.

Wow that's a great tip to keep the Christmas scent in/around the house. Thanks :D

I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year! Charles Dickens
Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Christmas Crazy » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:45 am

kiwidogy_max wrote:While looking up creative and interesting ways to use your Christmas tree after the season is over (even though it's never really over in my head), I learned that they make great winter mulch for gardens. Apparently they protect and fertilize the soil during the harsh winter months. I also learned that If you collect bunch of the needles, you can put them in a small bag and use them like potpourri. I love the smell of Christmas trees and would love to try this to keep the house smelling great all year long. I will be slicing up part of the trunk and hang the disks throughout the cellar to keep that atmosphere as well.

Those are some great ideas kiwi. Now I wish we had a real tree instead of an artificial one.
:peek:
Christmas Crazy
Sleigh Assistant

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:05 am

Christmas Crazy wrote:
kiwidogy_max wrote:Jolly, I sometimes too feel like I grew up in the wrong era based on the music and traditions of Christmas. Then I laugh because I enjoy the music, movies, and decoration ideas that I find on my iPad and iPhone. Ironic or what! We are just old souls to some extant.

I feel the same way Kiwi. I love technology, but when it comes to Christmas music, I like the 30's and 40's music best as well as some 50's and 60's.
Bing, Nat King Cole, Sinatra...

Yes, I often laugh at myself listening to Fibber McGee and Molly on the mp3. Their Christmas specials are classics and my favorite New Year's program is the one about the New Year's Eve Dance.
Jennifer Lundgren
originally from San Antonio, Texas (USA)

LIfe is one Christmas adventure after another.
Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:07 am

Christmas Crazy wrote:

Those are some great ideas kiwi. Now I wish we had a real tree instead of an artificial one.
:peek:

In San Antonio, they come buy and pick up the trees to create mulch, then later in the growing season, you can go get mulch either for free or not much Money. A nice way to recycle real christmas trees. I Always have artificial because of allergies, but love to look at them in the lots anyway.
Jennifer Lundgren

Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:08 am

kiwidogy_max wrote:Those Hallmark Christmas cookie cutters are indeed an amazing find!

hallmark christmas cookie cutters? I wonder if any are on ebay.
Jennifer Lundgren

Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:09 am

http://www.hemslojd.com/swedish_king_knuts_day.html

info on the Swedish St. Knut's day, the official end of Christmas. I started taking down a few things today. Potholders hanging off the ktichen cabinets that were getting in the way. Since we did not put out much, if I only take down 1 or 2 things a day, Christmas will last that much longer. :-)
Jennifer Lundgren

Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

Postby Noel+ » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:08 pm

Jolly O'Leary wrote:http://www.hemslojd.com/swedish_king_knuts_day.html

info on the Swedish St. Knut's day, the official end of Christmas. I started taking down a few things today. Potholders hanging off the ktichen cabinets that were getting in the way. Since we did not put out much, if I only take down 1 or 2 things a day, Christmas will last that much longer. :-)

Thanks Jolly for the link. Very interesting.

:D

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:31 pm

I keep being told that my job will be very stressful during the spring term, so I am unsure how often I will be able to check here. I will try to pop in for Friday Christmas to see how everyone is doing. I cannot live without my Christmas friends!
Jennifer Lundgren

Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

Postby Noel+ » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:27 pm

Jolly O'Leary wrote:I keep being told that my job will be very stressful during the spring term, so I am unsure how often I will be able to check here. I will try to pop in for Friday Christmas to see how everyone is doing. I cannot live without my Christmas friends!

Oh we will miss you Jolly! Thank goodness for Christmas Fridays. And you are stronger than the stress!
:smilecc:

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby kiwidogy_max » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:03 am

Jolly, please try to keep the stress from your job in perspective. Remember that we will be here for you to escape, just for a bit, to your Christmas home. I too am trying to keep things in balance. Do you mind if I ask what you do for a living?
kiwidogy_max
Toy Maker

Postby kiwidogy_max » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:05 am

Jolly, I will have to take a listen to those Fibber and Molly mp3's you spoke about. They sound like some Christmas fun!
kiwidogy_max
Toy Maker

Postby kiwidogy_max » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:20 am

Jolly, thank you for the information about St. Knut's day in Sweden. It is nice to celebrate the end of the official Christmas season with friends as opposed to somberly taking the Christmas tree and decorations down by yourself. It always makes me sad. I enjoy learning about Christmas traditions from all of our cultures!
kiwidogy_max
Toy Maker

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:02 am

kiwidogy_max wrote:Jolly, please try to keep the stress from your job in perspective. Remember that we will be here for you to escape, just for a bit, to your Christmas home. I too am trying to keep things in balance. Do you mind if I ask what you do for a living?

I am an academic administrator at Stockholm University. We have spring registration going on now which is now Christmas fun!
Jennifer Lundgren

Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:03 am

kiwidogy_max wrote:Jolly, I will have to take a listen to those Fibber and Molly mp3's you spoke about. They sound like some Christmas fun!

There are a lot on YouTube. We order discs from www.otrcat.com. Many a Christmas present comes from there! :shop:
Jennifer Lundgren

Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

Postby Noel+ » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:12 pm

My heart is heavy tor the victims of the terrorist assault in France. Listenening yo instrumental Christmas hymns to help lift my heart in prayer.

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby kiwidogy_max » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:31 pm

Noel, it is disheartening to hear about the tragic events in France. It is hard to make sense of things that will never make sense and never seemingly come to an end. If only people could keep the love we share at christmas time with them always, perhaps people would think about others once in a while.
kiwidogy_max
Toy Maker

PreviousNext

Return to Holiday Chatter