2013: 2300 Posts til Christmas

The place for Christmas and non-Christmas chatter.

Re: 2013: 2300 Posts til Christmas

Postby CandyKane » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:25 pm

Noel+ wrote:
kiwidogy_max wrote:Noel, we got some snowshoeing in too. What do you make the wreathes for the birds out of? That is nice that even they get Christmas decorations!

Oh, what fun kiwidogy! So happy you had a day of snow-fun! :D

I buy or make a pinecone [on a hanger] wreath. Then I cover it is peanut butter, and sprinkle on unsalted nuts. Sometimes I add cereal [no sugar]. They love it!!

I have never made the pinecone wreath, but I do make the individual pinecone, peanut butter, and :feedbird: birdseed 'ornaments' and hang them out for the birds. They do love them and I have been known to put ribbons on the birdfeeders to dress them up for Christmas. A few years ago I made a birdseed wreath by braiding bread dough, brushing it with butter, then rolling it in birdseed. I found the instuctions online and the birds loved it. :feedbird:

“Our hearts grow tender with childhood memories and love of kindred, and we are better throughout the year for having, in spirit, become a child again at Christmastime.”

― Laura Ingalls Wilder
CandyKane
Sleigh Assistant

Postby CandyKane » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:28 pm

kiwidogy_max wrote:I'm going sliding!!! This takes me back to Christmases gone by.

Sounds like you are having a fabulous time playing in the snow. I for one am getting a little sick of it. :razzberry: It's not much fun having snow and not having Christmas. :pile:

“Our hearts grow tender with childhood memories and love of kindred, and we are better throughout the year for having, in spirit, become a child again at Christmastime.”

― Laura Ingalls Wilder
CandyKane
Sleigh Assistant

Postby CandyKane » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:30 pm

Noel+ wrote:
CandyKane wrote:Miles Kimball has a coupon code out for free shipping plus 10% off any order. I just stocked up on gold star and glitter confetti tissue wrap for Christmas and assorted color tissue wrap for gifts throughout the year. Great deal! :hohat:

That is a great deal! :D I'm off to website to make use of the savings too! Congrats! on your deals CandyKane! :D

I found the code on retailmenot. I never go online Christmas shopping without a coupon code. :smilecc:

― Laura Ingalls Wilder
CandyKane
Sleigh Assistant

Postby Noel+ » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:39 pm

CandyKane wrote:
Noel+ wrote:
kiwidogy_max wrote:Noel, we got some snowshoeing in too. What do you make the wreathes for the birds out of? That is nice that even they get Christmas decorations!

Oh, what fun kiwidogy! So happy you had a day of snow-fun! :D

I buy or make a pinecone [on a hanger] wreath. Then I cover it is peanut butter, and sprinkle on unsalted nuts. Sometimes I add cereal [no sugar]. They love it!!

I have never made the pinecone wreath, but I do make the individual pinecone, peanut butter, and :feedbird: birdseed 'ornaments' and hang them out for the birds. They do love them and I have been known to put ribbons on the birdfeeders to dress them up for Christmas. A few years ago I made a birdseed wreath by braiding bread dough, brushing it with butter, then rolling it in birdseed. I found the instuctions online and the birds loved it. :feedbird:

Yes I always add red ribbons so it is both festive and easy for the birds to find. I always make atleast 2 wreaths -- so the big birds don't get all the seeds before the little ones!

I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year! Charles Dickens
Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Noel+ » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:44 pm

[b][color=#8040BF]Kiwidogy: here is the basic recipee my grandma used for the bird-feeder wreaths. I tweak them all the time and use what I have on hand, so you can too!

Supplies for Multiple Wreaths

Twig Wreaths boughten or assemble pine cones on wire hanger in any shape

Peanut Butter

Bird Seed

Strong Twigs for Perches [optional]

Instructions for Assembly

Assembling a bird feeder wreath can be a little messy. You may want to purchase a box of gloves to make things a little less sticky and a little more enjoyable.

The ingredients for your bird feeder wreath are simple to put together and customize.

For a basic bird feeder wreath, all you will need to do is cover a twig wreath with peanut butter. After coating the wreath completely, cover the peanut butter with birdseed or bird feed. Once coated with the birdseed or bird feed, just stick the strong twigs into the wreath at various points for bird perches. Afterwards, just hang and you will be finished the basic bird feeder wreath.

To add a little variety to your home, try using black oil seeds along with sunflower seeds or shelled nuts.

I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year! Charles Dickens
Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Noel+ » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:46 pm

CandyKane wrote:
Noel+ wrote:
CandyKane wrote:Miles Kimball has a coupon code out for free shipping plus 10% off any order. I just stocked up on gold star and glitter confetti tissue wrap for Christmas and assorted color tissue wrap for gifts throughout the year. Great deal! :hohat:

That is a great deal! :D I'm off to website to make use of the savings too! Congrats! on your deals CandyKane! :D

I found the code on retailmenot. I never go online Christmas shopping without a coupon code. :smilecc:

Thanks for the heads-up, CK. I'll add retailmenot to my bookmarks! :D

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Noel+ » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:47 pm

Well, the kiddos are portraying Heat Miser vs Snow Miser as the movie plays, so time to return to the post-Christmas fun! :smilecc:

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby kiwidogy_max » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:17 pm

Thank you for all of the great bird wreath ideas. I will definitely put them to good use and the local birds will thank you. Christmas is coming just a few days later for them.
Love and Joy Come to You!
Santa's coming Santa's coming! I know him!
kiwidogy_max
Toy Maker

Postby kiwidogy_max » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:20 pm

I just got home from a 3 year old birthday party. I got him a sled for his birthday. We certainly have the snow for it! It was so much fun watching his excitement all while the house was still nicely decorated for Christmas. And the cupcakes were delicious!! :hbd: :sled:
kiwidogy_max
Toy Maker

Postby Noel+ » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:07 am

kiwidogy_max wrote:Thank you for all of the great bird wreath ideas. I will definitely put them to good use and the local birds will thank you. Christmas is coming just a few days later for them.

You're very welcome! And winter is coming, so the birds will need more in Jan-March than Christmas!

BTW: my DH buys a seed wreath at Home Depot/Lowe's and then adds the peanut butter or suet before seeds/nuts. Its easier!

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Noel+ » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:08 am

kiwidogy_max wrote:I just got home from a 3 year old birthday party. I got him a sled for his birthday. We certainly have the snow for it! It was so much fun watching his excitement all while the house was still nicely decorated for Christmas. And the cupcakes were delicious!! :hbd: :sled:

So glad you made his birthday extra-special so few days after Christmas. Sledding always brings out the child in an adult's heart! You've just extended your Christmas joys another day! :scene:

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby kiwidogy_max » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:03 am

Kissing ball on our porch. Ah Christmas time
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kiwidogy_max
Toy Maker

Postby Noel+ » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:20 am

Just gorgeous kiwidogy! Thanks tor sharing your Christmas beauty with us.

My DH & I were reflecting on Christmas past in Indiana when the snow covered the farm, porch and everything in between. Sweet memories from snow-filled days! :D

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:04 am

Noel+ wrote:Tonight we are going to watch Christmas dvd films. We're snacking, instead of a full dinner, on pizza, :D popcorn, Christmas cookies & cocoa. The kiddos are squealing with delight!

oh that sounds like a wonderful christmas evening!
Jennifer Lundgren
originally from San Antonio, Texas (USA)

LIfe is one Christmas adventure after another.
Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:06 am

:dinner:
Noel+ wrote:
kiwidogy_max wrote:Thank you for all of the great bird wreath ideas. I will definitely put them to good use and the local birds will thank you. Christmas is coming just a few days later for them.

You're very welcome! And winter is coming, so the birds will need more in Jan-March than Christmas!

BTW: my DH buys a seed wreath at Home Depot/Lowe's and then adds the peanut butter or suet before seeds/nuts. Its easier!

I have often wished to put up an outdoor tree with edible christmas ornaments for the birds. Never had a chance in the US and in Sweden it occurred to me that maybe we did not want to have birds coming in on the balcony and leaving us "presents". Not to mention providing a buffet for the cats.
Jennifer Lundgren

Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

Postby Noel+ » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:44 am

Tomtemor wrote:
Noel+ wrote:Tonight we are going to watch Christmas dvd films. We're snacking, instead of a full dinner, on pizza, :D popcorn, Christmas cookies & cocoa. The kiddos are squealing with delight!

oh that sounds like a wonderful christmas evening!

The best part is watching the kiddos re-enact scenes from the movies! :D

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Noel+ » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:46 am

Tomtemor wrote::dinner:
Noel+ wrote:

I have often wished to put up an outdoor tree with edible christmas ornaments for the birds. Never had a chance in the US and in Sweden it occurred to me that maybe we did not want to have birds coming in on the balcony and leaving us "presents". Not to mention providing a buffet for the cats.

In my experience cats, or dogs, do not chase the birds in winter. We place the feeder-wreath high on the trees. AND the pets are cold and as soon as their 'business' is done they want back in the warm house! We used to really deck out the trees in snowy Indiana. Here, in the southwest, we have to be careful not to draw more termites, scorpions or black widows to the house! :x

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Noel+ » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:48 am

Good Morning, Christmas friends! It is a beautiful morning with the golden southwest light just beginning to glow. Christmas tunes are on the stereo as we prepare our breakfast. The kiddies are 'deciding' [um, arguing] which movie[s] we should watch tonight. New Year's Eve makes them sad, because we take down the Christmas decorations. Since the tree will be discarded, I decided to leave it up for an extra week sans decorations so they can slowly wean off. The house is so plain after Christmas decorations are packed away, despite my efforts to spruce it up for Spring in a couple of months.

Hope your Sunday is still very Christmasy & bright! :smilecc:

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:04 am

Noel+ wrote:In my experience cats, or dogs, do not chase the birds in winter. We place the feeder-wreath high on the trees. AND the pets are cold and as soon as their 'business' is done they want back in the warm house! We used to really deck out the trees in snowy Indiana. Here, in the southwest, we have to be careful not to draw more termites, scorpions or black widows to the house! :x

Good point, I guess that is why we do not put edibles on christmas trees in San Antonio either. One thing I do not miss, roaches! We have our share of mosquitoes, gnats, bees and wasps in the summer, but I have rarely seen a spider or anything larger than a sugar ant. I know there are scorpions in the san antonio area, usually in the "new build" sites but for some reason they do not make it into the inner city.
Jennifer Lundgren

Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

Postby Noel+ » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:36 am

Tomtemor wrote:
Noel+ wrote:In my experience cats, or dogs, do not chase the birds in winter. We place the feeder-wreath high on the trees. AND the pets are cold and as soon as their 'business' is done they want back in the warm house! We used to really deck out the trees in snowy Indiana. Here, in the southwest, we have to be careful not to draw more termites, scorpions or black widows to the house! :x

Good point, I guess that is why we do not put edibles on christmas trees in San Antonio either. One thing I do not miss, roaches! We have our share of mosquitoes, gnats, bees and wasps in the summer, but I have rarely seen a spider or anything larger than a sugar ant. I know there are scorpions in the san antonio area, usually in the "new build" sites but for some reason they do not make it into the inner city.

Here we have scorpions & black widows in all areas. They are impossible to kill or stop procreating.

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

PreviousNext

Return to Holiday Chatter