What is for dinner?

The place for Christmas and non-Christmas chatter.

What is for dinner?

Postby Jodie » Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:05 pm

Just posting in the 'what did you do today' thread and thought this would be a good idea for a thread of its own.

Tonight being Sunday, we are having a roast dinner. We usually have roasts on Sunday nights - more often in winter because it is cold.

Tonights feast will be roast leg of lamb with rosemary and garlic. Accompanied by maple roast parsnips, potatoes, beans and carrots

Jodie
Toy Maker

Re: What is for dinner?

Postby Jodie » Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:48 pm

Just thought I would add that I am making my mums chocolate pudding for dessert tonight - we have not had this for ages and it is so easy to make.

1 chocolate cake mix - make as per the directions.
Pour into a pudding dish (do not grease the dish at all, the pudding needs to be able to stick to the sides to rise above the sauce).

Now before you put it in the oven, sprinkle a mixture of 3/4 cup brown sugar and 3 tablespoons of cocoa powder over the pudding and then pour over 1 to 1 and a half cups of boiling water.

Put into the oven and bake, like you would the cake.

Serve hot with custard, cream or ice cream - yummm

Jodie
Toy Maker

Postby Noel+ » Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:28 am

I use to prepare large healthy meals but my schedule has changed that ritual. I am concerned because we're eating too much fast-healthy food like Subway and restaurant take-outs, I miss cooking and baking, there just is not time with all our schedules opposed to one another. :cry:

I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year! Charles Dickens
Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Mrs.Claus » Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:40 pm

Having steak at the in-laws and left over fruit and veggies from the memorial service. Father-in-law BBQing and we don't have to worry about fixing anything.
~ Mrs. Claus ~

Mrs.Claus
The Mrs.

Postby Noel+ » Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:00 pm

I'm very relieved to learn you are free from such tasks right now, McDLT! What a blessing people can be to our lives.

Jodie inspired me to cook today! I made apple-stuffed pork filets, herb-and-cheese rice pilaf, and home made cookies! YUM! Atleast once a week I can make certain we eat a normal healthy meal and its worth the effort. :dinner:

I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year! Charles Dickens
Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Jodie » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:28 am

I much prefer home cooked foods.

Tonight I ate out because I was at a meeting - I had a chicken snitzel and salad. It was not very nice.

I am making tuna steaks with salad and chips for dinner tomorrow night.
Wednesday night is taco night (this week)
Thursday night is chicken curry and rice
Friday night is steak with mash and veges
Saturday night, I think we are going out to friends for a BBQ.
Sunday will be roast chicken or turkey and veg (I have not decided yet and we have both in the freezer).

We decide every week before we shop what we are going to have for dinner each night and then we shop for those items.

I want to bake some brownies this weekend and maybe a slice because number two son is back at school next Monday for the start of term two.

Jodie
Toy Maker

Postby Winterself » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:29 am

tonight was easy.i went to moms for dinner.she made spaghetti and fried new potatoes in olive oil.alot more healthier.
Winterself
Christmas Tree Finder

Postby Jodie » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:13 am

I love pasta but I rarely eat it. I usually save it for when I go out - we have some of the best italian restaurants around here in Canberra.

I am looking forward to Tuna steaks tonight though.

Jodie
Toy Maker

Postby Merry Sage » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:29 am

Chicken is on the menu in our house tonight. Curried for my hubby, grilled with honey and bbq sauce for me! :dinner:
Merry Sage
Head Baker

Postby Mrs.Claus » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:11 pm

We went to East Side Mario's last night for supper. I had Angel Hair pasta with roasted veggies, sundried tomatoes, and in a spiced olive oil sauce - it's delicious!

Tonight it will be something with Caesar Salad - perhaps a quick microwaveable roast. :dinner:
~ Mrs. Claus ~

Mrs.Claus
The Mrs.

Postby Noel+ » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:32 pm

I had leftovers...........my Dh said they were corndogs.......if so, I no longer like them! LOL! BUT he tried for the family and that blesses my heart! :throw:

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Mrs.Claus » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:23 am

Hubby came home early from work today. He has a fever and aches (poor boy), so the girls and I just had chicken strips and potato wedges. He didn't eat anything, just drank ginger ale and NeoCitron.
~ Mrs. Claus ~

Mrs.Claus
The Mrs.

Postby Noel+ » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:48 am

Oh, Mrs C! There's a respiratory virus in America that is taking its toll on people! It starts out like a cold........lasts for 3 w3eks at a minimum.......and you need an anti-viral med to fight it. Watch over your hubby and take him to the doctor if this cold drags on! :shock:

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Jodie » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:22 am

I have changed my mind about tacos tonight - I had to go out for a meeting and ended up having a big lunch. So it will be some nice home made vegetable soup with some tofu added. I will add some pasta and kidney beans for the boys when I reheat it later.

Jodie
Toy Maker

Postby Merry Sage » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:26 am

Good golly, I have NO idea what to make for tonight's supper. Ever have stretches where you just seem to run out of inspiration? :dinner:
Merry Sage
Head Baker

Postby Noel+ » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:34 pm

I have an entire 5 shelf bookcase full of cookbooks so I can't run out of inspiration! I do run out of time and energy -- and order out! 8-)

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Merry Sage » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:20 am

I did lamb chops last night. Tonight I think I'll just do something light. Chicken stirfry sounds good. :dinner:
Merry Sage
Head Baker

Postby Noel+ » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:29 pm

Chicken strips, mashed potatoes and macaroni & cheese with rolls! For dessert: chocolate chip mini cakes with caramel glaze! yum :dinner:

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Jodie » Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:31 am

I am too tired tonight to stick to the dinner schedule and as I am the only one home (with Ollie), I decided to just have a cup of tea and some toast with vegemite. Ollie had turkey mince and mixed veges.

Jodie
Toy Maker

Postby Merry Sage » Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:54 am

I did cannelloni for last night's supper. Tonight its ribeye steak with potato wedges and salada. :dinner:
Merry Sage
Head Baker

Next

Return to Holiday Chatter