Signs of the Season

The place for Christmas and non-Christmas chatter.

Signs of the Season

Postby Merry Sage » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:57 am

With a little over a month to go before the Autumnal Equinox, are you seeing any signs of change? Its very gradual, but I'm noticing lots of little signs here; the wind has changed direction for one. There's wild blackberries on Beacon Hill and I've seen a tree with a big patch of red and gold leaves on it already. Spotted a squirrel the other day with bulging cheek pouches. I assume he/she's stocking the larder for Autumn. :peekleaves2: And I noticed the little wool & craft supply shop in the village has Christmas card making supplies in the window now.
Merry Sage
Head Baker

Re: Signs of the Season

Postby Stephanie » Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:44 pm

I've been noticing things as well. A lot of the trees are starting to get some patches of color. I'll take pictures the next time I go to the park. :peekleaves2:
Stephanie
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Noel+ » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:24 am

Here, things go browner as temps decrease and at 109F today it just looks sunbakied!

I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year! Charles Dickens
Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Mrs.Claus » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:10 pm

I haven't noticed anything up here yet, but with all the summer weather we're finally getting all I notice is the heat! When I start to see things I'll post them. I can hardly wait till Autumn, besides Christmas, it is my favourite season.
:leafjump:
~ Mrs. Claus ~

Mrs.Claus
The Mrs.

Postby Noel+ » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:18 am

There's nary a sign of Autumn here - :peekleaves2: - and its my 2nd fave season! We get Autumn about October, before Halloween - what little there is - and then Christmas all over place once November 1st arrives.

I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year! Charles Dickens
Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby mistletoe misfit » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:49 am

No signs here in the country of Autumn. Late summer signs are every where though. The golden rod are plenty, also the purple cone flowers are in full bloom and will remain, slowly dying off by the end of September.
mistletoe misfit
Head Baker

Postby Merry Sage » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:00 am

Some of the oak trees now have big clusters of the prickly green shells containing the shiny chestnut, hanging off them. Odd though how some of them have it and some don't.

Lots more insects about now too. That's normal for August as its sort of a bug's last chance to annoy al and sundry. To go along with that, I've seen loads more spiders than in June or July. Mind you, the weather didn't dry out til August, so that would partially explain it. I think. I'm not an entymologist so I'm just speculating on the whole bug thing.
:whistle:
Merry Sage
Head Baker

Postby Noel+ » Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:27 am

Not a tiny sign of Autumn in the brown desert -- you have to go up higher to see the birch trees in October. Still........I'm getting in the mood for Autumn's splendor. Even if I only have it on my desktop! :peekleaves2:

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Mrs.Claus » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:04 pm

Not really a sign of Autumn, more of late summer - loads and loads of bees. Might have something to do with the fact we have a ton of clover growing in the front yard.
~ Mrs. Claus ~

Mrs.Claus
The Mrs.

Postby Noel+ » Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:33 am

:shock: Rain! Thunder! Lightening! Just about 20 minutes ago we had a flurry of all three! Okay, it only lasted 10 minutes............but we lost satellite so that proves it was a storm! It reminded me of home [Indana] and early fall storms. Okay, I am so in the mood for some crisp cold air and autumn leaves!!! :peekleaves2:

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Pretjah » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:36 pm

TBS is showing the santa clause tommorrow at 7 ET
Pretjah
Toy Maker

Postby Merry Sage » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:12 pm

Its gotten quite a bit cooler at night lately. And if this can be taken as a sign, hubby asked about Christmas dining arrangements for this year. :elfgrin:
Merry Sage
Head Baker

Postby Noel+ » Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:13 am

Pretjah wrote:TBS is showing the santa clause tommorrow at 7 ET

I adore Tim Allen in that flick. I'll let my DH know so he and the children can enjoy together! Thanks!

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Merry Sage » Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:26 pm

I actually saw berries on a holly tree while out for a walk today. Now its way too early for that, which makes me wonder if we're in for a very early Autumn and a colder than usual Winter in England. The holly berries are hard and bitter until they get hit a few times by frost. Then they soften up and the birds can really get to enjoy them. :holly1:
Merry Sage
Head Baker

Postby Noel+ » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:20 am

OH, Merry Sage, I just love holly & ivy with berries! Now that puts me in an autumn mood........and so do the sprinkles outside. :peekleaves2:

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby mistletoe misfit » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:50 am

Sunday while driving down our country roads, I noticed the first signs of Autumn. Every few moments I would see a tree or two with some leaves that have begun to change their colour. They looked to be oak trees, but none of our oaks have started to change at all so maybe they were something else. :leafjump:
mistletoe misfit
Head Baker

Postby Noel+ » Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:04 am

:peekleaves2: Oh, how enjoyable MM! I so miss the crisp Autumn air and beautiflly clad leaves.......enjoy! :peekleaves2:

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Merry Sage » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:10 am

The steady march to shorter days continues. I've watched it go from 9:30 p.m. to 9 p.m. Then to 8:30......this week its now dark at 8.

Daylight at 6 a.m. which I find interesting. It seems like the darker mornings are slower in coming. Just my perception.
:holly1:
Merry Sage
Head Baker

Postby Noel+ » Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:22 am

Oh, well,. does under 105F temps count as a sign??? :laugh:

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Merry Sage » Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:07 am

Noel+ wrote:Oh, well,. does under 105F temps count as a sign??? :laugh:

I don't know how you stand it Noel!

A sale catalogue in the mail today. Some nice Christmas things in it too. Dang the dang budget or I'd order a few things. Bah!
:snowwow:
Merry Sage
Head Baker

Next

Return to Holiday Chatter