Olde Roast Pork

The place for Christmas and non-Christmas chatter.

Olde Roast Pork

Postby tinseltown » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:32 pm

This is a traditional recipe from England passed down through generations . You will need a leg of pork but it needs to have about an inch and a half of fat on it which the butcher will leave on if you ask them . Wash well and dry pork with kitchen towel . Then with a sharp knife score the pork fat with lines across the top of joint about an inch apart but dont go through to the meat . You then rub in sea salt liberally and i mean alot so its sticking all over the leg fat . Pour oil or fat into the roasting tin and place in preheated oven at 230 for around 20 minutes so that the fat hardens and starts to brown . This is called crackling . Then turn oven down to 160 and cook 25 minutes per pound and an extra 25 minutes at the end . Baste every hour with a spoon with the fat from the roasting tin. I actually just place a loose piece of foil over the top after the initial browning to stop fat from going black . The last 15 minutes of cooking remove the foil and turn oven up to 210 just to crisp the crackling up . Leave to sit 20 minutes or so before carving . The crackling is delicious and the meat inside will be tender . Apple sauce is perfect with roast pork . Enjoy ! :dinner:
[url][/url]
tinseltown
Christmas Tree Finder

Re: Olde Roast Pork

Postby kiwidogy_max » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:20 am

This sounds delicious Tinseltown! Thank you for the recipe.
Love and Joy Come to You!
Santa's coming Santa's coming! I know him!
kiwidogy_max
Toy Maker

Return to Holiday Chatter