"CHRISTMAS" Thread - 1500

The place for Christmas and non-Christmas chatter.

"CHRISTMAS" Thread - 1500

Postby Mrs.Claus » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:13 pm

We did it!!! 2009 we reached our goal of 1200 posts!!! Congratulations everyone!!! Not sure what we should set as our goal for 2010 - how about we try for 1500.

Now remember, in this thread we can talk about anything - how life is going, memorable moments, frustrations, joys, etc.. The only one "rule" is that somewhere in each post you mention the word 'Christmas'. It could be in your greeting or closing - you could just throw it in anywhere as long as it's there.

Have fun and Enjoy!

:merrysleigh:
~ Mrs. Claus ~

Mrs.Claus
The Mrs.

Re: "CHRISTMAS" Thread - 1500

Postby CandyKane » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:38 am

Mrs Claus----Thanks for restarting this thread. 1500 posts is a great goal! :D

I am really in a Christmas mood right now. :snowjump: We have 3 inches of snow on the ground with more coming tonight, tomorrow, and Thursday. :jump:

“Our hearts grow tender with childhood memories and love of kindred, and we are better throughout the year for having, in spirit, become a child again at Christmastime.”

― Laura Ingalls Wilder
CandyKane
Sleigh Assistant

Postby CandyKane » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:03 pm

Seed and garden catalogs have replaced Christmas cards in my mailbox. I even got a swimwear catalog today. :muffs:

“Our hearts grow tender with childhood memories and love of kindred, and we are better throughout the year for having, in spirit, become a child again at Christmastime.”

― Laura Ingalls Wilder
CandyKane
Sleigh Assistant

Postby Noel+ » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:04 pm

Just coming up to start the threads as usual Mrs. C has it all wrapped up! Great job! And whohoo to the 1500 post goal! :smilecc:

Christmasis coming..........again!

I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year! Charles Dickens
Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby nettescraps » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:29 pm

I cannot believe Christmas is over. We had to take down our tree before New Years because it was completely dry (typical CA for ya). I have a lot to reflect on for my planning for next year. This year I used the Holiday Grand Plan and all was well until the week before Christmas my husband decided to retexture the walls, paint, re-carpet my son's room, and buy a new family room set! It was nice and ready by Christmas but it caused me to be a wreck (I'm a control freak and the remodeling was a surprise).
Holiday Baker
Mother of two beautiful children, wife to a wonderful husband, and fan of holiday movies
nettescraps
Bulb Tester

Postby nettescraps » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:35 pm

I was thinking of doing a Holiday Cookie exchange to celebrate Christmas in July, has anyone ever done this? Any suggestions?
I wanted to have one this year for Christmas but because this was the first time my daughter was in the Nutcracker we were not used to the time commitment. My sisters and I love to watch the xmas movies in July so I thought it would be a great time to have the exchange and try out new cookie recipes. :gbhouse:
Holiday Baker
Mother of two beautiful children, wife to a wonderful husband, and fan of holiday movies
nettescraps
Bulb Tester

Postby Mrs.Claus » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:07 pm

nettescraps - I've been in a couple Christmas cookie exchanges but never one for Christmas in July. Sounds like fun. My biggest suggestion is to make a simple Christmas cookie. If you have lots of people in on the exchange this will make things way easier for you.

Here's hoping everyone had a Merry & Bright Christmas! :smilecc:
~ Mrs. Claus ~

Mrs.Claus
The Mrs.

Postby CandyKane » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:26 pm

I have done cookie exchanges with friends but I never thought about doing one for Christmas in July. What a great idea. :smilecc:

I saw an idea on another site. It was about doing a monthy Christmas ornament challenge. Every month someone posts a new idea for an ornament to craft. You get full instructions and a materials list then everyone can make it. It would be a fun way to get some new and creative Christmas ornaments. :ornasmile:

― Laura Ingalls Wilder
CandyKane
Sleigh Assistant

Postby kiwidogy_max » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:23 pm

CandyKane, I love the Christmas ornament every month idea!! I would Iove to be a part of a group like that. I need to develop my craftyness and a Christmas theme is right up my alley!! :smilecc:

By the way, we got 36 inches of snow this weekend! Yay!!!
Love and Joy Come to You!
Santa's coming Santa's coming! I know him!
kiwidogy_max
Toy Maker

Postby Mrs.Claus » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:22 am

CandyKane - what an awesome idea!!! A Christmas ornament a month - I'm thinking I could get some great ideas for the my kids' Christmas party too. We do at least one ornament craft.
~ Mrs. Claus ~

Mrs.Claus
The Mrs.

Postby Noel+ » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:34 am

Oh, I am so loving the ideas to have a cookie exchange at Christmas in July =and= a new ornament a month! Great ideas! :scene:

I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year! Charles Dickens
Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby nettescraps » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:08 pm

Candykane-Thank you for the idea about the Christmas ornament exchange. I would love to get some more details on this idea. The sister-in-law (I have 5) who is hosting Christmas this year would like to decorate her home with homemade decorations. The ornaments would be a great addition to her tree.

In regards to the cookie exchange, I was thinking of only inviting a few people. I am currently reading the book Christmas Cookie Club by Ann Pearlman and in that book they limit the invite list so that it is more intimate. I have many sis-in-laws, cousins, and friends to invite but only a very few that bake. If I only invite these bakers I feel we can get the most out of the exchange. But what else happens in cookie exchanges? Any fun ideas?
Holiday Baker
nettescraps
Bulb Tester

Postby CandyKane » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:57 pm

I just posted our first 'Christmas Ornament Challenge' in the Homemade Holiday section of this site. I also posted a bonus ornament to make with the kids. Let me know what you think. :smilecc:

― Laura Ingalls Wilder
CandyKane
Sleigh Assistant

Postby Noel+ » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:11 pm

Thanks CandyKane! How Christmasy fun that will be! :shop:

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Mrs.Claus » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:15 pm

At the Christmas Cookie exchange I was at - all they did was talk and eat some cookies. I kind of wished there was more. Perhaps you could sing carols or play Christmas-type party games (like at wedding showers and baby showers).
~ Mrs. Claus ~

Mrs.Claus
The Mrs.

Postby Noel+ » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:55 am

Our church has a huge cookie exchange the 3rd week of December, and we decorate the church, sing carols and play a few games! One year we did a craft! So definitely it can be more fun than just eating! :smilecc:

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby CandyKane » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:37 pm

The winter weather here is just brutal. We have about 3 inches of snow and last night the temp. dipped down to 6 degrees F. And it's gonna get colder tonight. The wind started blowing yesterday and it howled all night long. :snowwow: We're just so grateful that the power has stayed on.

It's a full time job to keep the cattle and horses fed and watered. We've had two new calves born the last two days. We put the mammas and babies in the barn and they're just doing fine. The animals are so tough.

I hate the dreariness of winter when I don't have Christmas to brighten things up. :holly1:

― Laura Ingalls Wilder
CandyKane
Sleigh Assistant

Postby nettescraps » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:01 pm

We have just had our third "big enough to feel" earthquake in two days about 10 min ago. I wonder if the next CA "Big One" will be coming soon. I better get prepared.
Holiday Baker
nettescraps
Bulb Tester

Postby Noel+ » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:11 pm

nettescraps, I lived in California for quite a long time and endured many earthquakes. You can only be so prepared -- the rest you just deal with at the time. Wishing your family a safe 2010!

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby CandyKane » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:11 pm

Noel--I love your Christmas sig. It's really beautiful! :scene:

― Laura Ingalls Wilder
CandyKane
Sleigh Assistant

Next

Return to Holiday Chatter