"CHRISTMAS" Thread - 1500

The place for Christmas and non-Christmas chatter.

Re: "CHRISTMAS" Thread - 1500

Postby Noel+ » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:49 am

My family doesn't have any Christmas celebrations til December. After Christmas in July we anticipate Autumn and the coming holidays. I start my revised Grand Plan and starting making decorating decisions. It's so hot and humid here that snow is a far away but bright memory! :snowwow:

I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year! Charles Dickens
Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby mistletoe misfit » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:10 am

No, We had a huge Christmas in July bash a few years back though. I would love to do it again one year. It was such fun! This summer was too busy with the kids in summer hockey as well as soccer. Maybe next year. :think:
mistletoe misfit
Head Baker

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:20 am

We celebrate Christmas in July for a week, then Christmas in August usually for one day only, but transferred to a weekend this year due to my work schedule. September brings St. Michael's Day on Sept. 29 (a chicken eating holiday), swedish thanksgiving in October followed by Halloween, then we try to have an american thanksgiving, but that might not happen this year due to an SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism) event, and then we are into the best time of the year!

:snowwow:

Happy Christmas in August! :peekleaves2:
Jennifer Lundgren
originally from San Antonio, Texas (USA)

LIfe is one Christmas adventure after another.
Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

Postby CandyKane » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:24 pm

Finally a little break from the heat. It's so nice to turn off the air conditioning and open up the windows to get a little fresh, cool air! It's put me in the mood to do some major house cleaning. My Christmas closet is starting to spill out to make a Christmas room. :smilecc:

“Our hearts grow tender with childhood memories and love of kindred, and we are better throughout the year for having, in spirit, become a child again at Christmastime.”

― Laura Ingalls Wilder
CandyKane
Sleigh Assistant

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:28 pm

CandyKane wrote:Finally a little break from the heat. It's so nice to turn off the air conditioning and open up the windows to get a little fresh, cool air!

I did that one year in San Antonio, had this wonderful yellow pollen on everything and was sick with a sinus infection for two weeks. LOL Never opened the windows again.

Looking forward to Christmas!

Jennifer Lundgren

Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

Postby mistletoe misfit » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:26 pm

jwlundgren wrote:We celebrate Christmas in July for a week, then Christmas in August usually for one day only, but transferred to a weekend this year due to my work schedule. September brings St. Michael's Day on Sept. 29 (a chicken eating holiday), swedish thanksgiving in October followed by Halloween, then we try to have an american thanksgiving, but that might not happen this year due to an SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism) event, and then we are into the best time of the year!

:snowwow:

When in October is your Swedish Thanksgiving?
I like the idea of celebrating Christmas in July for an entire week. :smilecc:
mistletoe misfit
Head Baker

Postby Noel+ » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:34 pm

The new Nanny McPhee flick is being released this Friday. My children are so excited to see the sequel.........err, Nanny again. A little magic before Christmas. :wink:

I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year! Charles Dickens
Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:21 am

mistletoe misfit wrote: When in October is your Swedish Thanksgiving?
I like the idea of celebrating Christmas in July for an entire week. :smilecc:

'Thanksgiving' is the second Sunday in October. It is usually just a 'church day'. If you are not someone who goes to church, you probably don't know it's happening. The altar is decorated with wheat and fruits of the harvest, etc. It's very low key compared to American Thanksgiving. Goose was once traditional, probably transferred or in anticipation of St. Martin's Day in November. We usually have a 'fancy' chicken dish as opposed to the usual weeknight chicken fair. Blackberry and apple are also common flavors of the season.

We celebrate Christmas in July from Sunday to Sunday encompassing the 25th. This year we started the first Sunday celebration with eggnog. No commercial eggnog here, so you have to make it from scratch. The advantage is, you can have it any time you want. :D I put out the Christmas place mats, but don't haul anything else out. I keep telling myself I'm going to leave a few things out to put up, but so far it hasn't happened. For one week, we avoid regular tv, radio and internet. If it's not Christmas, it doesn't exists for us. :gbhouse: I can watch QVC online, it's great! We immerse ourselves in Christmas music and movies. Usually have a simpler one day celebration in August, but with this being 'hell month' at the university we decided to have the weekend before registration as Christmas in August. The 23rd is the first day of registration for me and Anders' (Birkabusen on the list) first day of teaching at his new job. We decided we needed some Christmas fun.

I used to know someone who tried to have 'christmas' on the 25th of every month with either a movie or a CD at work. We usually watch a christmas movie about once a month, but no 'schedule' other than Nov-dec, july and aug.

Bring on the Christmas weather! :snowwow:
Jennifer Lundgren

Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

Postby mistletoe misfit » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:26 am

Thanks jwlundgren for sharing with us about your Swedish Thanksgiving. The date is very close to our Canadian Thanksgiving. This year it falls on October 11th, I usually cook up the turkey the day before on the Sunday though. This is my husbands favourite holiday.
A whole week of Christmas in the summer sounds so wonderful. :smilecc:
I don't think I could talk my sweet DH into that though. One day of Christmas in the summer is about all I have talked him into so far. Although I have worn him down a little over the years. He now tells me on the 25th of each month how much longer til Christmas. I used to drive him crazy with the countdown all the time. :lol:
mistletoe misfit
Head Baker

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:53 am

mistletoe misfit wrote:Thanks jwlundgren for sharing with us about your Swedish Thanksgiving. The date is very close to our Canadian Thanksgiving. This year it falls on October 11th, I usually cook up the turkey the day before on the Sunday though. This is my husbands favourite holiday.

Turkey is very expensive here. My first year we found a turkey breast at the last minute for Christmas day dinner. It was delicious. Last year we bought a small (as in the size of a canned good) turkey ham to add to the smörgåsbord leftovers from the night before. For Christmas in July, we had turkey sausage which was MUCH better than I anticipated. Swedes have a special 'christmas sausage' which my husband does not like, so we might make the turkey sausage our 'christmas sausage' instead. :scene:

Happy Christmas in August!
Jennifer Lundgren

Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

Postby CandyKane » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:35 am

So ready for Fall. I bought dd's Halloween costume yesterday. She's going to be a.....cupcake! Now how scary is that?? :laugh: They have the matching trick-or-treat bag but it's almost as expensive as the costume. :think: I think I'll see if I can make one. I'm so excited about Halloween and the Fall Festival. Time is flying by so fast. Christmas is coming so quickly. :elfgrin:

“Our hearts grow tender with childhood memories and love of kindred, and we are better throughout the year for having, in spirit, become a child again at Christmastime.”

― Laura Ingalls Wilder
CandyKane
Sleigh Assistant

Postby ksrjreed » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:22 am

Children started school today, which is always a happy time for my kids and for my wife and myself, because once school starts that is when we both look at each other and say,"okay, now where do we want to put our Christmas tree?" :smilecc:

Some men are Baptists, others Catholics; my father was an Oldsmobile man.
ksrjreed
Bow Maker

Location: Helping the Old Man Change a Tire,,,,,,,OH FUDGE!!!

Postby Mrs.Claus » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:41 pm

Today - I've been working on the Christmas blog - no post yet, but been working on the theme. I've almost tweaked it to where I can live with it - just can't figure out how to change the headings of the Widgets - better take a break now, maybe it will come to me when I've stepped away for a while.
~ Mrs. Claus ~

Mrs.Claus
The Mrs.

Postby Noel+ » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:19 pm

I so appreciate all you do Mrs. C for the site and the blog. Hope your break was inspirational! Christmas is closer! :snowwow:

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Stephanie » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:16 am

Don't forget that QVC is now doing Christmas all day on the 25th of each month. Wednesday is the 25. I enjoying checking in throughout the day just for a little bit of Christmas.
Stephanie
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:42 am

Stephanie wrote:Don't forget that QVC is now doing Christmas all day on the 25th of each month. Wednesday is the 25. I enjoying checking in throughout the day just for a little bit of Christmas.

Unfortuantely, that will be my worst day ever at work so far. Students registering from 9-5 and about 5 hours of follow-up work. Stockholm University is definitely behind the times in registration procedures. We had intranet registration at my home university even in the 80's. This is come and stand in front of you with paperwork in hand registration. Very 70's. LOL

Happy Christmas in August, I'll have to wait for the September show!
Jennifer Lundgren

Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

Postby CandyKane » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:50 pm

I can't wait for the next QVC Christmas show. So far I have resisted buying anything. Don't know how much longer that can last... :smilecc:

― Laura Ingalls Wilder
CandyKane
Sleigh Assistant

Postby Noel+ » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:07 pm

jwlundgren wrote:
Stephanie wrote:Don't forget that QVC is now doing Christmas all day on the 25th of each month. Wednesday is the 25. I enjoying checking in throughout the day just for a little bit of Christmas.

Unfortuantely, that will be my worst day ever at work so far. Students registering from 9-5 and about 5 hours of follow-up work. Stockholm University is definitely behind the times in registration procedures. We had intranet registration at my home university even in the 80's. This is come and stand in front of you with paperwork in hand registration. Very 70's. LOL

Happy Christmas in August, I'll have to wait for the September show!

Sounds like you'll need a lot of Christmas spirit during registration! Hang in there!

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Noel+ » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:08 pm

Oh, I never miss a QVC Countdown to Christmas unless I'm working......and Im working so I'll only see the last 3 hours. Hopefully they'll review! They're always fun!

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:17 am

Sounds like you'll need a lot of Christmas spirit during registration! Hang in there!

We'll be having Christmas in August this weekend. I thought about introducing the idea of a cookie exchange after it is all over as a fun stress reliever, but the administrativ cheif is not a 'fun-type' person and I'm only a temp. Maybe next year if I'm still there. :snowwow:
Jennifer Lundgren

Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

PreviousNext

Return to Holiday Chatter