"CHRISTMAS" Thread - 1500

The place for Christmas and non-Christmas chatter.

Re: "CHRISTMAS" Thread - 1500

Postby Noel+ » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:47 am

jwlundgren wrote:
Sounds like you'll need a lot of Christmas spirit during registration! Hang in there!

We'll be having Christmas in August this weekend. I thought about introducing the idea of a cookie exchange after it is all over as a fun stress reliever, but the administrativ cheif is not a 'fun-type' person and I'm only a temp. Maybe next year if I'm still there. :snowwow:

Absolutely! Maybe your neighbors would be interested in a Christmas cookie exchange in December? They're so much fun!

I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year! Charles Dickens
Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:44 am

Noel+ wrote: Absolutely! Maybe your neighbors would be interested in a Christmas cookie exchange in December? They're so much fun!

Uh........don't think so. What you have heard about the 'islamization' of Europe and Sweden in particular is true. Most of our neighbors are celebrating Ramadan this month. We open the balcony doors and blast American patriotic music all over the compound on American holidays, and then duck. :razzberry:

We also serenade them with Handel's Messiah at Christmas and Easter. :lol:
We like to live dangerously.

Happy Christmas in August! :snowwow:
Jennifer Lundgren
originally from San Antonio, Texas (USA)

LIfe is one Christmas adventure after another.
Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

Postby CandyKane » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:59 pm

Here's a link to a great site I just found. www.thetoymaker.com Lots of great free printables including toys and Christmas stuff. :smilecc:

“Our hearts grow tender with childhood memories and love of kindred, and we are better throughout the year for having, in spirit, become a child again at Christmastime.”

― Laura Ingalls Wilder
CandyKane
Sleigh Assistant

Postby Noel+ » Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:30 am

jwlundgren wrote:
Noel+ wrote: Absolutely! Maybe your neighbors would be interested in a Christmas cookie exchange in December? They're so much fun!

Uh........don't think so. What you have heard about the 'islamization' of Europe and Sweden in particular is true. Most of our neighbors are celebrating Ramadan this month. We open the balcony doors and blast American patriotic music all over the compound on American holidays, and then duck. :razzberry:

We also serenade them with Handel's Messiah at Christmas and Easter. :lol:
We like to live dangerously.

Happy Christmas in August! :snowwow:

Oh, the population is now higher Muslim than Swedish? I learned something new today.

I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year! Charles Dickens
Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Noel+ » Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:31 am

CandyKane wrote:Here's a link to a great site I just found. http://www.thetoymaker.com Lots of great free printables including toys and Christmas stuff. :smilecc:

Thanks CandyKane! What fun for the kids! :smilecc:

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:51 am

Noel wrote:Oh, the population is now higher Muslim than Swedish? I learned something new today.

Not yet. but Sweden is predicted to be a muslim country by 2049. Unfortunately, I'm not scheduled to die until 2050. You can read the Swedish news in english here at http://www.thelocal.se.

Christmas in August is being derailed by work. Have to do grocey shopping today and chores this afternoon. Must work tomorrow. On the plus side, my husband is now fully employed at a IT high school. We migh have to rethink Christmas in August and be content with Christmas in July as August is a very busy time for both of us if I keep a university job.

Merry Christmas in August! Bring on the Fall weather.
:peekleaves2:

:snowwow:
Jennifer Lundgren

Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

Postby Noel+ » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:37 pm

Thanks for the link to the Swedish news.......it was fun to read in English!

Its a relief to know you're not scheduled to die til 2050! :lol: Know what you meant though.

Yes its 109F here and I'm more than ready for Fall. :peekleaves2:

We've already adjusted our Christmas plans too. It will be Christmas in its fullest form just with less spending. And that's a good thing because we are blessed!

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:40 am

Noel+ wrote: We've already adjusted our Christmas plans too. It will be Christmas in its fullest form just with less spending. And that's a good thing because we are blessed!

Christmas in Sweden is alot simpler than the US. Decorations usually consists of Christmas curtains and linens, with lighted stars in the windows and a candelabra that looks amazingly like a menorah make popular worldwide by IKEA. The tree doesn't go up until the 23rd when Swedes across the an decorate it as a family affair. Then it stays up until Jan. 13. Gifts are usually based more on thoughtfulness than dollar amount and fewer of them. My husband's family had the tradition of saving one gift until New Year's.

I might be unemployed on Dec. 1, and if so, will spend December reorganizing the living room to try to make room for a Christmas tree. Most Swedish apartments are small by US standards and this was a 'bachelor pad' for 24 years. :wink:

I prefer the simplicity in gifts, but miss the decorations. I asked my parents to send the chintzy stuff from the dollar store in my christmas box. :santa: My mother used to transform the house from floor to ceiling on the day after Thanksgiving.

My usually oily skin is finally drying out, so maybe Fall is on the way after all. Woohoo! :peekleaves2:

Merry Christmas in August! :snowwow:
Jennifer Lundgren

Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

Postby Noel+ » Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:40 pm

Yes, I'm aware of the IKEA candelabra -- think it is pretty. I've seen pictures from Norway where they play stars in the windows as decorations -- must be similiar to Sweden -- and I love them!

Good luck on clearing a space for a Christmas tree in a bachelor apartment! :wink:

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby CandyKane » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:21 am

What a great weekend. We took a mini-vacation and went to hubby's family reunion. The convention center has a huge pool and an ice skating rink. Dd got to ice skate for the very first time. Of course the ice skating made me long for Christmas. :scene:

“Our hearts grow tender with childhood memories and love of kindred, and we are better throughout the year for having, in spirit, become a child again at Christmastime.”

― Laura Ingalls Wilder
CandyKane
Sleigh Assistant

Postby CandyKane » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:12 pm

I had to run some errands so I made a quick stop at the store to pick up a couple things. I bought 2 cases of quart canning jars. I thought we might make some of the jars of layered cookie and brownie mixes for our church Christmas bazaar. I think they would sell. I know I'll buy some. I have 3 good recipes, 2 cookie mixes and a brownie mix. :dinner: :D

― Laura Ingalls Wilder
CandyKane
Sleigh Assistant

Postby Noel+ » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:24 am

CandyKane wrote:I had to run some errands so I made a quick stop at the store to pick up a couple things. I bought 2 cases of quart canning jars. I thought we might make some of the jars of layered cookie and brownie mixes for our church Christmas bazaar. I think they would sell. I know I'll buy some. I have 3 good recipes, 2 cookie mixes and a brownie mix. :dinner: :D

Baskets & jars are one of my favorite Christmas gifts -- themed by a hobby of a family member/friend they're perfect You're smart to stock up now!

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:10 am

http://migs.wordpress.com/2007/12/18/pa ... ilippines/

Ran across this looking for a Christmas in September logo! hm....Christmas in August on August 31 might work out better for us some years. I also found a church in South Dakota who had a Christmas in August service on August 15, Mary Mother of God Sunday. Not sure if that is something they do every year or just because of the way the days fell this year. I've bookmarked the site so I can check next year!

http://www.sturgisglc.org/August15Bulletin.pdf

I was a church admin for 6 years and it was part of my job to surf the net to see what others were doing. :-)

Happy Christmas in August!
Day 2 of Registration
Jennifer Lundgren

Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

Postby Noel+ » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:06 am

Wow - those are great surprises! Until you I had never heard of Christmas in August and now look what I know! Thanks for sharing with us!

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:24 am

Noel+ wrote:Wow - those are great surprises! Until you I had never heard of Christmas in August and now look what I know! Thanks for sharing with us!

Actually I grew up with Christmas in August as a missionary project. I had forgotten about it until I worked at a church again in the 90's, and then again in 2002. It was nice to see it was still around. Since the advent of computers and the internet, sometimes I run random searches when I'm bored usually on whatever holiday is coming up. One year I found the Korean movie with that title and went searching and then fell in love. It is a beautiful story. When I met my husband, we started a one day celebration that has grown usually, but this year diminished because we both have new jobs. You know how it is. But, I managed to watch Christmas comes to Willow Creek last night from 1987 with Tom Wopat and John Schneider. Cute movie.

http://old.wmu.com/resources/library/hi ... August.asp

I stole their logo. :lol:

Happy Christmas in August! I wish I could watch QVC online,but have to wait until September now. :scene:
Jennifer Lundgren

Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

Postby Mrs.Claus » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:50 pm

Was out shopping for appliances last night and went to Sears Home Centre and asked if they had a catalog or wishbook for the kids to look at while we shopped and she gave me a Christmas Wishbook to keep. Usually if you don't have a card you can't get a Wishbook until October. I was thrilled!!! Hubby just laughed at me and told me to calm down. lol Unfortunately we didn't get our appliances from Sears - we found an awesome deal at Leon's though.
~ Mrs. Claus ~

Mrs.Claus
The Mrs.

Postby CandyKane » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:21 am

Busy week. I did catch a little of the Christmas shows on QVC yesterday. I found a couple of things on Santa's Toy Shop that I debated about getting, but I didn't. :holly1:

― Laura Ingalls Wilder
CandyKane
Sleigh Assistant

Postby CandyKane » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:23 am

A friend is coming over tonight to make a diaper cake and some other decorations for another friends baby shower this weekend. Hopefully we can organize another crafting night to make things for Christmas!! :smilecc:

― Laura Ingalls Wilder
CandyKane
Sleigh Assistant

Postby CandyKane » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:24 am

I was shopping at Wal-Mart this weekend and saw the new Christmas barbie. She is really beautiful. I didn't buy it cause dd was with me. I can't wait to add it to her collection. :elfgrin:

― Laura Ingalls Wilder
CandyKane
Sleigh Assistant

Postby CandyKane » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:18 am

I've been wishing for September and it's almost here! Hubby's work stresses have eased, the weather is wonderful, and Christmas is just around the corner. I'm so happy! :smilecc:

― Laura Ingalls Wilder
CandyKane
Sleigh Assistant

PreviousNext

Return to Holiday Chatter