"CHRISTMAS" Thread - 1500

The place for Christmas and non-Christmas chatter.

Re: "CHRISTMAS" Thread - 1500

Postby CandyKane » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:10 am

We have one box completed for our Operation Christmas child project. It's for a young boy. Since we don't have many kids in our class, this may be the only box we're able to do this year. But I'm not complaining because I know that every box counts when you're helping make Christmas special for a child. We're also getting a name off of our towns angel tree. :santa:

“Our hearts grow tender with childhood memories and love of kindred, and we are better throughout the year for having, in spirit, become a child again at Christmastime.”

― Laura Ingalls Wilder
CandyKane
Sleigh Assistant

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:07 am

Got an email from a former co-worker. He was my office mate for my praktik (internship). He is on sick leave and asked if I could come see him. He must really be bored. He has to be the NICEST person I have ever met in my life so I am asking my husband if we can go over and cook him Swedish Thanksgiving on Sunday. Not sure it will work out yet, but he has a MARVELOUS kitchen. It would be my privilege to cook in it.

Unfortunately, he is two hours away from us and we will have to miss worship services. But I feel it's more in the spirit of thanksgiving.

Can't start spreading the Christmas spirit too early!

:thanks: :leafjump: :rake: :cheer: :pumpkin:
Jennifer Lundgren
originally from San Antonio, Texas (USA)

LIfe is one Christmas adventure after another.
Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

Postby CandyKane » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:57 pm

That's the Spirit! It's never too early for Christmas. (or Thanksgiving) :smilecc:

“Our hearts grow tender with childhood memories and love of kindred, and we are better throughout the year for having, in spirit, become a child again at Christmastime.”

― Laura Ingalls Wilder
CandyKane
Sleigh Assistant

Postby CandyKane » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:59 pm

I'm really missing my Christmas shows on my DVR. Since there's not much holiday fare on TV right now I guess I'll have to go look through my Christmas movie collection and find something great to watch. :elfgrin:

― Laura Ingalls Wilder
CandyKane
Sleigh Assistant

Postby CandyKane » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:38 pm

I've have already posted one link to a site where you can print a free Santa letter, but here is another one. This offers a really cute free Christian version. I'll be printing one for dd this Christmas.

http://www.freechristiansantaletters.co ... a-letter-1

― Laura Ingalls Wilder
CandyKane
Sleigh Assistant

Postby CandyKane » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:41 pm

Also here's a really interesting site offering information on obtaining a US Christmas Postage Cancellation from the North Pole and from other states with holiday names.

http://blog.christmaslettertips.com/200 ... postmarks/

― Laura Ingalls Wilder
CandyKane
Sleigh Assistant

Postby mistletoe misfit » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:20 pm

Thank You for the links CandyKane!
I like -Christmas Florida!! :smilecc:
mistletoe misfit
Head Baker

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:28 am

CandyKane wrote:That's the Spirit! It's never too early for Christmas. (or Thanksgiving) :smilecc:

There used to be a frozen casserole type thing called Thanksgiving Tonight. For some reason your comment made me think of that. It hadn't been around the last few years before I left, but it was great for a 'quick' mental holiday with all the flavors. Just add a can of green beans, and a can of cranberry sauce and you had instant thanksgiving or christms. I've tried to find a recipe from scratch, but no luck yet.

Happy Thanksgiving to our Canadian brothers and sisters. Glad Tacksägelsedagen!

:snowkiss: :thanks: :leafjump: :rake: :cheer: :pumpkin:
Jennifer Lundgren

Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

Postby CandyKane » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:06 am

One of my friends recently had a baby shower at her work and for the meal she requested a Thanksgiving style buffet. :dinner: For our Thanksgiving dinner we always have turkey and all the trimmings and for Christmas we have ham. Yum! joyelf

― Laura Ingalls Wilder
CandyKane
Sleigh Assistant

Postby CandyKane » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:08 am

With all this talk of Thanksgiving, I have a serious craving for pumpkin pie. My favorite pumpkin dessert is a pumpkin roll but I've never been really good at making them. Maybe with some practice I can perfect it by Christmas. :thumbs:

― Laura Ingalls Wilder
CandyKane
Sleigh Assistant

Postby CandyKane » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:40 am

In many households, part of the fun of eating Christmas pudding is finding a trinket that predicts your fortune for the coming year. For instance, finding a coin means you will become wealthy. A ring means you will get married; while a button predicts bachelorhood. The idea of hiding something in the pudding comes from the tradition in the Middle Ages of hiding a bean in a cake that was served on Twelfth Night. Whoever found the bean became "king" for the rest of the night.

― Laura Ingalls Wilder
CandyKane
Sleigh Assistant

Postby CandyKane » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:06 pm

O Christmas Tree! O Christmas Tree!
Thy leaves are so unchanging;
Thy leaves are so unchanging;
Not only green when summer's here,
But also when 'tis cold and drear.
Thy leaves are so unchanging!

Much pleasure thou can'st give me;
Much pleasure thou can'st give me;
How often has the Christmas tree
Afforded me the greatest glee!
Much pleasure thou can'st give me.

Thy candles shine so brightly!
From base to summit, gay and bright,
There's only splendor for the sight.

How richly God has decked thee!
How richly God has decked thee!
Thou bidst us true and faithful be,
And trust in God unchangingly.
How richly God has decked thee! !"

― Laura Ingalls Wilder
CandyKane
Sleigh Assistant

Postby Noel+ » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:30 pm

CandyKane wrote:With all this talk of Thanksgiving, I have a serious craving for pumpkin pie. My favorite pumpkin dessert is a pumpkin roll but I've never been really good at making them. Maybe with some practice I can perfect it by Christmas. :thumbs:

We're all sad that this will be the first year we won't have my Mom's pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving & Christmas. Its not that my sis and I haven't made the recipe........it just never tastes like Moms. Time for a new tradition..........

I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year! Charles Dickens
Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Noel+ » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:32 pm

This year we've decided not to decorate for Christmas. Atleast that's the words from Dh & children last weekend. I'm a bit stunned.........but they're still missing my Mom. IF they stay the course we'll just have to focus on the deeper meaning and by next year they'll be ready to restart the tradition alone.

I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year! Charles Dickens
Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby CandyKane » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:55 am

Noel-The pain from your Mom's death is still very fresh and the wounds are raw. Hopefully your family will reconsider when they realize that your Mom would not want them to be sad, but to continue with the traditions that have made all of you so happy. But if they still don't want to decorate, that's ok. Focusing on the true meaning of Christmas is a wonderful celebration all on it's own. :holly1:

― Laura Ingalls Wilder
CandyKane
Sleigh Assistant

Postby CandyKane » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:59 am

This Christmas I hope that my family focuses more on the meaning of the holiday and less on the materal aspects. Don't get me wrong, I love to shop. :shop: lol But I would much rather give to someone who is in need, than receive something else that I don't need. :scene:

― Laura Ingalls Wilder
CandyKane
Sleigh Assistant

Postby CandyKane » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:03 am

Looks like it's going to be a beautiful weekend here. I'm going to take dd out to visit my parents today. She loves to go to the farm and play with them. Dad said he was going to take her out on the four wheeler to help scout for this year Christmas tree. :smilecc:

― Laura Ingalls Wilder
CandyKane
Sleigh Assistant

Postby CandyKane » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:07 am

Last night when I put dd to bed, I read her a story then tucked her in. She said "Mommy, no leave, tell me a Christmas story". I love my little Christmas loving angel. :D :santa: :rudolph1: :elf:

― Laura Ingalls Wilder
CandyKane
Sleigh Assistant

Postby CandyKane » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:14 am

Only 78 days left until Christmas and 600 more posts to go. We'd better get busy! :smilecc:

― Laura Ingalls Wilder
CandyKane
Sleigh Assistant

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:15 am

Noel+ wrote:This year we've decided not to decorate for Christmas. Atleast that's the words from Dh & children last weekend. I'm a bit stunned.........but they're still missing my Mom. IF they stay the course we'll just have to focus on the deeper meaning and by next year they'll be ready to restart the tradition alone.

I felt that way after my divorce. You could string the christmas cards you receive over doorways and across your kitchen 'bar' (had interview in Swedish today and can't think of english words...the opening in the kitchen where you pass things through to the dining room) if you have one. That is minimal decorating and still keeping the thoughts of others around you. You could get a single flower arrangment or candle arrangment for the Christmas dinner table and go to Christmas services if you are a religious person. You could also make a 'memory table' with your mother's picture on it with some candle or flowers. When my brother got married, his wife made a 'grandmother's chair' with a shawl, hat, and gloves that had belonged to her. Drapped over as if she was going to pickthem up and sit down any time.

As for the pumpkin pie, have you tried pumpkin bread? My mother makes the absolute best! Unfortunately no canned pumpkin in Sweden.

Hang in there!

:snowkiss: :thanks: :leafjump: :rake: :cheer: :pumpkin:
Jennifer Lundgren

Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

PreviousNext

Return to Holiday Chatter