"CHRISTMAS" Thread - 1500

The place for Christmas and non-Christmas chatter.

Re: "CHRISTMAS" Thread - 1500

Postby CandyKane » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:06 pm

We got a nice rain last night, and it's really cooled things off today. It's not feeling like summer anymore. The trees are really getting beautiful colors now. :peekleaves2:

I love seeing all the houses and businesses decorated for Halloween. Pretty soon those decorations will be Christmas ones. :scene:

“Our hearts grow tender with childhood memories and love of kindred, and we are better throughout the year for having, in spirit, become a child again at Christmastime.”

― Laura Ingalls Wilder
CandyKane
Sleigh Assistant

Postby CandyKane » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:07 pm

Our town recently announced the date and time for our annual Christmas parade and tree lighting ceremony. The last few years the interest in the parade has been down, but it's so nice to know that people are already making plans for it. :smilecc:

“Our hearts grow tender with childhood memories and love of kindred, and we are better throughout the year for having, in spirit, become a child again at Christmastime.”

― Laura Ingalls Wilder
CandyKane
Sleigh Assistant

Postby CandyKane » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:53 pm

Louis Prang, a Bavarian-born lithographer who came to the USA from Germany in the 19th century, popularized the sending of printed Christmas cards. He invented a way of reproducing color oil paintings, the "chromolithograph technique", and created a card with the message "Merry Christmas" as a way of showing it off.

― Laura Ingalls Wilder
CandyKane
Sleigh Assistant

Postby Noel+ » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:35 am

CandyKane wrote:Louis Prang, a Bavarian-born lithographer who came to the USA from Germany in the 19th century, popularized the sending of printed Christmas cards. He invented a way of reproducing color oil paintings, the "chromolithograph technique", and created a card with the message "Merry Christmas" as a way of showing it off.

The history of our Christmas traditions is always fascinating! :D

I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year! Charles Dickens
Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Noel+ » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:36 am

For the 3rd holiday season in a row I put in for a few days off the week of Christmas. And this year? APPROVED! I'm so excited to have Christmas Eve off to go to church with my family! :D :D :D

I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year! Charles Dickens
Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby mistletoe misfit » Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:47 am

Noel+ wrote:For the 3rd holiday season in a row I put in for a few days off the week of Christmas. And this year? APPROVED! I'm so excited to have Christmas Eve off to go to church with my family! :D :D :D

I am so happy for you Noel! :smilecc:
That is wonderful you will be able to spend Christmas with your family.
:nav1:
mistletoe misfit
Head Baker

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:09 am

For 7 years I worked two jobs, one in retail. My first Christmas doing both, I worked 40 hours at my regular job and 30 at the mall the week before Christmas. I said 'never again' and starting using my seniority to take off Dec. 15-26 from my regular job much to the chagrin of my co-workers. I'm quite sure they were happy when I was laid off. ;-P

I was even more evil in not telling my mall job I was off during the day so I actually had some time to prepare for my family Christmas.

You do what you have to do.

Merry Christmas in oktober! :snowkiss: :leafjump: :rake: :cheer: :pumpkin:
Jennifer Lundgren
originally from San Antonio, Texas (USA)

LIfe is one Christmas adventure after another.
Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

Postby CandyKane » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:15 am

Yay Noel!! I am so glad that you get Christmas Eve off to spend with your wonderful family! What a fabulous early Christmas present. :smilecc:

― Laura Ingalls Wilder
CandyKane
Sleigh Assistant

Postby Stephanie » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:22 pm

Noel+ wrote:For the 3rd holiday season in a row I put in for a few days off the week of Christmas. And this year? APPROVED! I'm so excited to have Christmas Eve off to go to church with my family! :D :D :D

That is awesome Noel!!! :smilecc:

Since I've moved, I went to a few of my favorite catalog sites to update my address so I won't miss any of the Christmas catalogs. I really enjoy browsing Christmas catalogs before bed. :shop:
Stephanie
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby CandyKane » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:07 am

Heres a link to a neat site with Christmas crafts.
http://ediblecraftsonline.com/christmas/index.htm
Has a lot of great stuff for other holidays too! :smilecc:

― Laura Ingalls Wilder
CandyKane
Sleigh Assistant

Postby CandyKane » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:15 am

It's awful to see the price of gasoline creeping up again. It's a struggle to keep the fuel bills paid. I filled up our propane tank yesterday and even though it took a huge chunk from the bank account I'm glad it's paid. The farm reports have been predicting that the corn prices would skyrocket. That spells really bad news to those of us feeding livestock, but it's also going to be especially bad at the grocery store. Yesterday I got a mailing from the local food pantry asking for donations. I'm sending them some money and wish it could be more. It's time to start stocking the pantry for winter, so I'll be picking up some extra canned goods for the food drives. Christmas is coming and my one wish would be for no one to go hungry. :holly1:

― Laura Ingalls Wilder
CandyKane
Sleigh Assistant

Postby CandyKane » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:18 am

I saw on the news this morning where ToysRUs is opening a lot pop-up stores in malls and shopping centers for the holiday season. This means thousands of temporary jobs. That will help brighten alot of folks Christmas. :scene:

― Laura Ingalls Wilder
CandyKane
Sleigh Assistant

Postby Noel+ » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:25 pm

mistletoe misfit wrote:

I am so happy for you Noel! :smilecc:
That is wonderful you will be able to spend Christmas with your family.
:nav1:

Thanks, MM! I'm jumping for joy! :smilecc:

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Noel+ » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:26 pm

CandyKane wrote:Yay Noel!! I am so glad that you get Christmas Eve off to spend with your wonderful family! What a fabulous early Christmas present. :smilecc:

Yes, CC, it is absolutely an early Christmas gift! YAY! :smilecc:

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Noel+ » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:27 pm

Stephanie wrote:

That is awesome Noel!!! :smilecc:

Since I've moved, I went to a few of my favorite catalog sites to update my address so I won't miss any of the Christmas catalogs. I really enjoy browsing Christmas catalogs before bed. :shop:

Thanks Stephanie! And yes, you don't want to miss a single issue of a Christmas catalog. I look at mine over and over..........and dream on! :D

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Noel+ » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:28 pm

CandyKane wrote:I saw on the news this morning where ToysRUs is opening a lot pop-up stores in malls and shopping centers for the holiday season. This means thousands of temporary jobs. That will help brighten alot of folks Christmas. :scene:

Yes, and Walmart plans on opening smaller stores in more areas. Some neighborhoods have protested a supercenter, so now they have a creative solution. And just for Christmas - more jobs! YAY! :smilecc:

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Stephanie » Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:01 pm

We had a nice Christmassy day today. We went to Hollydays in Baton Rouge today. It's a Christmas bazaar type thing with lots of vendors. We had a lot of fun, ate a lot of free samples, and got to eat some gingerbread cookies. Yum! :gbhouse: Also, a friend gave us a gift certificate to Cracker Barrel a while ago and I forgot that I had it. So, we went to Cracker Barrel to eat and they had their Christmas items out in the store, so we had a nice time browsing the store before we ate.

We're going to give the Christmas Store another try today. I REALLY hope they're done setting up! I'm going in either way this time though. :lol:
Stephanie
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby CandyKane » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:21 pm

Today was a perfect Fall day. :peekleaves2: The weather has been beautiful. We went to church this morning and worked on some more things for the Christmas bazaar. I brought home a huge box of crafts to work on since our time is running out and we don't have many weeks left.

― Laura Ingalls Wilder
CandyKane
Sleigh Assistant

Postby CandyKane » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:25 pm

My friend goes back to the doctor tomorrow and hopefully they will induce her labor and she will have her baby girl. I'm so excited. I'll have a new little angel at Christmas time. :D

― Laura Ingalls Wilder
CandyKane
Sleigh Assistant

Postby CandyKane » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:57 pm

"I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year."-Charles Dickens-

― Laura Ingalls Wilder
CandyKane
Sleigh Assistant

PreviousNext

Return to Holiday Chatter