2000 Posts By Christmas 2012

The place for Christmas and non-Christmas chatter.

Re: 2000 Posts By Christmas 2012

Postby CandyKane » Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:20 pm

Just placed an order from the DaySpring.com after Christmas clearance. I got an awesome Thomas Kinkade snowglobe for my Mom, a couple of gifts for Dirty Santa at church, and some cute bags. :santa:

“Our hearts grow tender with childhood memories and love of kindred, and we are better throughout the year for having, in spirit, become a child again at Christmastime.”

― Laura Ingalls Wilder
CandyKane
Sleigh Assistant

Postby CandyKane » Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:36 pm

I'm making a big pot of homemade potato soup for our supper tonight. Usually I just use bacon, but I'm also gonna toss in some leftover Christmas ham. Yum, yum! :dinner:

“Our hearts grow tender with childhood memories and love of kindred, and we are better throughout the year for having, in spirit, become a child again at Christmastime.”

― Laura Ingalls Wilder
CandyKane
Sleigh Assistant

Postby Noel+ » Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:44 pm

Trying out my new Kindle Fire here at the forum. Hoping my transactions complete as normal. My fingers are wider than the keys! Christmas fun! :lol:

I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year! Charles Dickens
Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Noel+ » Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:44 pm

Still have our Christmas lights burning brightly in the night! I'm putting off taking it all down til the 1st. :P

I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year! Charles Dickens
Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby kiwidogy_max » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:46 pm

CandyKane, I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your dog. They are such an important part of the family. They get just as excited about the Christmas season as we do! You were both lucky to have each other!
Love and Joy Come to You!
Santa's coming Santa's coming! I know him!
kiwidogy_max
Toy Maker

Postby kiwidogy_max » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:47 pm

I wanted to post something I saw from another thread in our forum. Great idea!!

I'm going to do something that for me is weird and unusual..i'm a man and have never considered doing anything like this as i figure that women are normally the ones likely to do it..but i'm going to extend the feeling of the holiday season all year long via purchasing certain items to keep displayed in the apartment.i've noticed that many stores here in the dfw area have like fake plants and flowers as well as what i would call ...branches..like branches on a bush..sounds dull but the kind i'm speaking of are made of some kind of refelctive ,cellophane and some are made a foil looking substance..they're beautiful but i've never bought anything like that and yet i see them al the time ,usually in the lawn and garden departments./i plan to buy a lot of this stuff and arrange it through out the apartment,but not in a tacky manner. i also have two 3 foot,prelighted trees that while they are christmas trees ,i should be able to find something to pass as decorations(non holiday specific) that will look attractive hanging on the trees and offer a look of joviality/.

while browsing through the stores this holiday season i noticed quite a few things i can purchase to display inside my apartment in order to extend the jovialness of the holiday season but without the chrristmas theme being directly attached/.
none of this stuff was terribally expensive either./
kiwidogy_max
Toy Maker

Postby Christmas Crazy » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:31 am

Kiwi, great idea. Keep us up to date and post some pics when you can.

Hope your Christmas was wonderful.
Christmas Crazy
Sleigh Assistant

Postby Christmas Crazy » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:35 am

We got a lot of snow today at my parents house (Indiana). But not much of it stuck.
It wasn't here in time for Christmas, but at least I got to see some snow before heading home (Georgia).
:flake: :flake: :flake: :flake: :flake: :flake: :flake: :flake: :flake: :flake: :flake: :flake: :flake: :flake:
Christmas Crazy
Sleigh Assistant

Postby Noel+ » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:34 am

Christmas Crazy wrote:We got a lot of snow today at my parents house (Indiana). But not much of it stuck.
It wasn't here in time for Christmas, but at least I got to see some snow before heading home (Georgia).
:flake: :flake: :flake: :flake: :flake: :flake: :flake: :flake: :flake: :flake: :flake: :flake: :flake: :flake:

I'm a born/raised Hoosier - enjoy that beautifuly Indy snow! what a sweet Christmas gift for ya'll! :flake: :flake:

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby kiwidogy_max » Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:50 am

I was a little disappointed when one of my outside Christmas decorations (a solar powered light post with a snowman on it) broke yesterday because of high winds. Thankfully, my father said that he would help to fix it.
kiwidogy_max
Toy Maker

Postby kiwidogy_max » Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:53 am

I got to spend a great evening with my brother and sister-in-law. They are headed back to CT tomorrow after coming up for Christmas. We started the evening with Thai food, then had a relaxing evening just chatting. I love the family time at Christmas! :treeswave:
kiwidogy_max
Toy Maker

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:33 am

Noel+ wrote:When do ya'll take down your Christmas decorations?

We wait til New Year's weekend.......and I'm scheduled to work this weekend.......so it may January 6th before the indoor decorations are safely stored away. :holly1:

IN Sweden, the decorations stay up until Janaury 13, St. Knuts Day. Unfortunately, this is not a day off. Hubby and I are earning extra money at the university that weekend being test monitors, so no clue when ours will come down. I will take down a few things this weekend. I need my laundry rods back up, etc. Some things, like the christmas pot holder that was left for me in my US apartment by the previous occupant stay out all year round.

The more I think about my interview tomorrow, the more I think it is a "token" interview. So they can say they had more than one candidate, a law in Sweden. But that is okay, it is good practice. It also means they know I will put my work (my current job) ahead of any potential job as I said I would rather come this week (the dead week) than next (the beginning of registration). We shall see. I was having a "fear moment" this morning, but am now reassured that no matter what this year holds, God is still in control. Or course, a post Christmas miracle would be nice..... :elfgrin:

Over the holidays we have seen: The Christmas Bunny (cute movie, good for Christmas in April), Mrs. Miracle, and a couple of Fresh Prince christmas episodes. November Christmas has arrived in the mail. I am still hoping Christmas in Paradise pops up. I really want to see that movie.

I have also lost one of hubby´s gifts. Fortunately, his family has the tradition of saving one gift until New Year's. I hope it will pop up. :shop:
Jennifer Lundgren
originally from San Antonio, Texas (USA)

LIfe is one Christmas adventure after another.
Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

Postby mistletoe misfit » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:20 am

CandyKane I am so sorry for the loss of your beloved doggy! I too believe we will see them again. They bring such joy to our lives, they're up there waiting to be re-united with us again one day.

Christmas here of course went by way too fast!
Our hockey tournaments began yesterday. DD9 played yesterday and will play again today. DS plays tomorrow and Friday.

I think I will take our real tree down either Saturday or Sunday. The rest of the decorations and 2 artificial trees will be put away sometime over the next 2-3 weeks. It always gives me a little bit of the blues, so I have to spread it out over time.
I think the mini trees on our front deck and the outside lights will remain on until the end of January. We only received our first real snow fall just yesterday and the trees look so pretty lit up now. :lol:
mistletoe misfit
Head Baker

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:57 am

kiwidogy_max wrote:I wanted to post something I saw from another thread in our forum. Great idea!!

I'm going to do something that for me is weird and unusual..i'm a man and have never considered doing anything like this as i figure that women are normally the ones likely to do it..but i'm going to extend the feeling of the holiday season all year long via purchasing certain items to keep displayed in the apartment.i've noticed that many stores here in the dfw area have like fake plants and flowers as well as what i would call ...branches..like branches on a bush..sounds dull but the kind i'm speaking of are made of some kind of refelctive ,cellophane and some are made a foil looking substance..they're beautiful but i've never bought anything like that and yet i see them al the time ,usually in the lawn and garden departments./i plan to buy a lot of this stuff and arrange it through out the apartment,but not in a tacky manner. i also have two 3 foot,prelighted trees that while they are christmas trees ,i should be able to find something to pass as decorations(non holiday specific) that will look attractive hanging on the trees and offer a look of joviality/.

my ex boyfriend, of oh...gosh, 20 or more years ago, used to put fake birds from the craft store in the branches of trees with white lights. He had these in the living room year round.

Happy christmas!

:merrytree:
Jennifer Lundgren

Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

Postby CandyKane » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:41 am

Just ordered some awesome toys from the Amazon after Christmas toy sale. Some are for dd's birthday gifts this summer, and the rest are for Christmas. :snowgirl:

― Laura Ingalls Wilder
CandyKane
Sleigh Assistant

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:47 am

I am now starting to think about recipes for New Year´s Eve and New Year´s Day. I did not make mince pies for Christmas, so I want to make them for New Year´s. Hubby asked me to make champagne jello (will post recipe below), and we will probably have "leftover soup" with stuffed mushrooms on the side. For New Year´s Day we will have apple sage pork loaf (the only pork hubby could find at the grocery today), with black eyed pea salad (amazingly, we actually have those in Sweden), some sort of greens (looking at recipes now) and cornbread. We need lots of leftovers for work lunches as most places will be closed for the holidays until after January 13.

http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Blac ... ea-Salad-5
http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/Jell ... ne-Dessert
http://www.putporkonyourfork.com/recipe ... cipeID=249

What do my other Christmas friends have for new year's eve or new year's day dinner?
Jennifer Lundgren

Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

Postby ksrjreed » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:40 pm

Noel+ wrote:Still have our Christmas lights burning brightly in the night! I'm putting off taking it all down til the 1st. :P

That is exactly how I am right now, it took to long to put them up to just take them down right now. Also, it is kinda making me sad, just last night I was looking at my Christmas tree and wondering how in the world did it go by so fast this year. Already can't wait for next Chrismtas season. :smilecc:

Some men are Baptists, others Catholics; my father was an Oldsmobile man.
ksrjreed
Bow Maker

Location: Helping the Old Man Change a Tire,,,,,,,OH FUDGE!!!

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:37 pm

ksrjreed wrote:
Noel+ wrote:Still have our Christmas lights burning brightly in the night! I'm putting off taking it all down til the 1st. :P

Because we are in the eternal darkness now, many leave their outside lights on their balcony up long after christmas, even into february. Some also put them up as soon as november. I think we will do that next year. I am seriously thinking of having November be Christmas prep and then we can enjoy some of the weekend Christmas activities without thinking, I can't I have to "clean, decorate, etc".

In Sweden, after Christmas, you say "God försättning" which means "good continuation" (of the Christmas season).

:scene:
Jennifer Lundgren

Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

Postby Noel+ » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:14 pm

Tomtemor wrote:
ksrjreed wrote:

Because we are in the eternal darkness now, many leave their outside lights on their balcony up long after christmas, even into february. Some also put them up as soon as november. I think we will do that next year. I am seriously thinking of having November be Christmas prep and then we can enjoy some of the weekend Christmas activities without thinking, I can't I have to "clean, decorate, etc".

In Sweden, after Christmas, you say "God försättning" which means "good continuation" (of the Christmas season).

:scene:

Just love that tradition and I think you'd be smart to prepin November! Then you could just relax and enjoy the entire Christmas month of December! :D

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Noel+ » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:15 pm

Anyone else eaten too much Christmas Day? This elf is having a hard time cutting back.........so New Year's is the cut off day!

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

PreviousNext

Return to Holiday Chatter