2000 Posts By Christmas 2012

The place for Christmas and non-Christmas chatter.

Re: 2000 Posts By Christmas 2012

Postby mistletoe misfit » Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:33 pm

Thanks so much my Christmas friends for all of your prayers! :D
My wonderful, amazing, husband fixed the furnace!! :D

Noel our house is under 20 years old. Unfortunately the furnace and many other things of importance that were installed in our house when it was built were not of very good quality.

We will ring in the New Year with smiles and Thankfulness for a warm home!! :scene:

HAPPY NEW YEARS EVE!!
mistletoe misfit
Head Baker

Postby Noel+ » Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:49 pm

GREAT NEWS!!!

MM, I just rejoice for you & your DH! Congrats! to him for his perseverance, wisdom, skill and hard work! A woonderful Christmas miracle!!

Celebrating with you as welcome in 2012 in warmth!!! :carolbells: :happyny:

I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year! Charles Dickens
Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby kiwidogy_max » Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:51 am

Happy New Year and happy warm furnace!! I hope everyone has a happy safe time! The Christmas season continues on for another year!
Love and Joy Come to You!
Santa's coming Santa's coming! I know him!
kiwidogy_max
Toy Maker

Postby kiwidogy_max » Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:52 am

Welcome 2012!!! I look forward to what you will bring. Oh.. And Christmas. :muffs:
kiwidogy_max
Toy Maker

Postby Noel+ » Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:09 am

kiwidogy_max wrote:Welcome 2012!!! I look forward to what you will bring. Oh.. And Christmas. :muffs:

Here's to a more prosperous and healthier 2012! :smilecc:

I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year! Charles Dickens
Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:16 am

kiwidogy_max wrote:Do they normally show Chritmas movies on TV in July? I had never really looked. What types of things do people do for Christmas in July parties? I would like to start that up in 2012.

There is a bit of info on the net about it. In fact, I think that is how I found this group, on my annual Christmas in July web search. :-)

When I was in the US, some channels have movies. Hallmark or Family or Cartoon network would be ones to watch. It is also fun to ignore regular programming and just watch your christmas dvd´s you do not usually have time for during the regular season. I used to tape much more stuff than I had time to watch during december. Some particular suggestions are: Christmas in July with Dick Powell and Rudolph and Frosty´s Christmas in July. Also, Off Season with Hume Cronin is great!

We celebrate for one week. I usually put up some garland and hope to make pennant banners this year that are easily put up. It is just too hot to do more. Hubby suggested we put up an american "liberty" tree with red white and blue ornaments, but we shall see. As stated above, it is sometimes just too hot to move. No AC in Europe. Then we immerse ourselves in christmas music and media, no non christmas allowed, which means we don't turn on regular tv (I don´t watch much regular tv anyway in sweden). I have some Old Time radio discs from www.otrcat.com which we play instead of listening to the regular radio. In the past I have tried to make a nice Christmas in July meal on Saturday evening like hawaiian chicken, but this year I think we will have a simple swedish smörgåsbord with meatballs and prins sausage (like little smokies). Easy stuff to prepare on top of the overn rather than baked chicken. We also try to take a Christmas in July cruise on the local baltic sea line. They serve a a buffet that is very similar to the swedish christmas bord (table) and we watch christmas movies in the cabin. I always wanted to have a white elephant party in July but our friends think we are weird enough, so we have not. Swedes to not understand the concept of "white elephant parties" as they find it rude to 1) regift something someone else has given them and 2) they find it rude to "take something away from someone else" even if it is supposed to be part of the fun. We tried it at a midwinter party and it flopped. So now we just have an inexpensive annonymous gift exchange. It is the closest I can get. If I were in the US, I would love to go to one of the christmas hotels or amusement parks I have read about. We have one in Sweden called Tomteland, we even applied for jobs there last year, but no luck. We might make it out to visit once we have jobs and regular income! I almost forgot to mention, Christmas in July gifts must be under $10 or bought at after christmas sales.

Last year we were on vacation in Northern Sweden and made an american christmas dinner for my swedish sister in laws family of ham, turkey, sweet potatoes, cranberry sauce, and green beans. I wore a short sleeved snow man t shirt my mother sent from san Antonio, They had a blast! As I prefer to miss the annual Midsommer drinking fest, we thought this might be a nice tradition to share. As we will both soon be jobless again, we shall see. It was GREAT fun. They think I am strange anyway. :elfgrin:

That is probably much more than you needed to know. As a side note, we also celebrate Christmas in August which is only a one day celebration with only the "merry christmas" sign put up and a movie with a more festive than usual dinner. It is still hot. Christmas in August gifts are kept at 10 SEK (about $1).
Jennifer Lundgren
originally from San Antonio, Texas (USA)

LIfe is one Christmas adventure after another.
Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

Postby mistletoe misfit » Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:39 pm

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

Kiwidogy, Christmas in July parties are great fun! They can be simple or elaborate. Whatever you want. We had a Christmas in July party a few years back and there were about 30 people here. I cooked a turkey the day before, complete with stuffing. I asked everyone that came if they could, to bring a Christmas type food or drink or any finger food that they enjoyed. We did Christmas crafts with the kids, carols playing. Everyone brought a wrapped gift for a child.
Last July my friend and I had a mini Christmas party with our children and daycare kiddies. My friend thinks I am crazy but goes along with me because the kids love it! :laugh:
mistletoe misfit
Head Baker

Postby kiwidogy_max » Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:31 pm

Tomtemore and Mustletoe,

Thank you for the Christmas in July party ideas. I definitely want to do something. I am not sure if it will fly with my girlfriend, but my brother and his girlfriend are big fans of the idea. My mind is already working.
kiwidogy_max
Toy Maker

Postby kiwidogy_max » Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:33 pm

I have to start getting things together to take my Christmas decorations down. A but if a sad day. :cry:
kiwidogy_max
Toy Maker

Postby kiwidogy_max » Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:35 pm

It feels like Christmas day with all the football on TV.
kiwidogy_max
Toy Maker

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:52 pm

[quote="kiwidogy_max"]Tomtemore and Mustletoe,

Thank you for the Christmas in July party ideas. I definitely want to do something. I am not sure if it will fly with my girlfriend, but my brother and his girlfriend are big fans of the idea. My mind is already working.[/quote

Take her to a christmas hotel with a spa. I am sure she will warm up to the idea. :D

http://christmasplace.wordpress.com/

This seems like a cool place. Also, I have a distant cousin living in Santa Claus, Indiana, where it is Christmas all year!
Jennifer Lundgren

Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

Postby Noel+ » Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:54 pm

kiwidogy_max wrote:Tomtemore and Mustletoe,

Thank you for the Christmas in July party ideas. I definitely want to do something. I am not sure if it will fly with my girlfriend, but my brother and his girlfriend are big fans of the idea. My mind is already working.

Oh, yes, Christmas in July is such fun! And where I live in the southwest it is usually been over 110F for 5+ months and my children are weary for Christmas. So we have a dinner or party, 1 gift each, I decorate the front of the house, we play/sing Christmas carols and enjoy the day! :smilecc:

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Noel+ » Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:55 pm

kiwidogy_max wrote:I have to start getting things together to take my Christmas decorations down. A but if a sad day. :cry:

I just put off doing it another day.......... :laugh: .......it makes me sad too! :cry:

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:57 pm

Some churches are also starting to use christmas in july as their toy collection or christmas child emphasis due to the economy. I found a church last year that had a christmas in july sermon series. It was quite good. Unfortunately, my computer crashed so I will have to search for the link again.
Jennifer Lundgren

Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:59 pm

Noel, do you decorate the outside of the house for christmas in july?
Jennifer Lundgren

Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

Postby kiwidogy_max » Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:15 pm

The spa idea is a good one! I will figure out a way to make Christmas in July work.
kiwidogy_max
Toy Maker

Postby Christmas Crazy » Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:51 pm

My wife asked me yesterday if it was OK if we waited till next weekend to take down Christmas decorations.

OK?

I said "Heck ya! Wait as long as you want."
:smilecc:
Christmas Crazy
Sleigh Assistant

Postby CandyKane » Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:58 pm

Yay Mistletoe Misfit!! So glad your furnace is fixed. Hoping you make it through the rest of the winter with no problems from it. :smilecc:

I started the New Year off right with a healthy home cooked breakfast, followed by an awesome church service, followed by a good homecooked lunch. I think I've started a trend. :D Hubby and dd are outside working on taking down the decorations, and I'm suppossed to be taking down the Christmas trees and decorations inside. I'm doing it......just very slowly. :holly1:

“Our hearts grow tender with childhood memories and love of kindred, and we are better throughout the year for having, in spirit, become a child again at Christmastime.”

― Laura Ingalls Wilder
CandyKane
Sleigh Assistant

Postby Noel+ » Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:08 pm

Tomtemor wrote:Noel, do you decorate the outside of the house for christmas in july?

Just the front porch - so guests have a Christmasy greeting. When its over 115F outside the decorations made of plastic actually melt in direct sunlight! :snowwow:

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Noel+ » Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:10 pm

CandyKane wrote:Yay Mistletoe Misfit!! So glad your furnace is fixed. Hoping you make it through the rest of the winter with no problems from it. :smilecc:

I started the New Year off right with a healthy home cooked breakfast, followed by an awesome church service, followed by a good homecooked lunch. I think I've started a trend. :D Hubby and dd are outside working on taking down the decorations, and I'm suppossed to be taking down the Christmas trees and decorations inside. I'm doing it......just very slowly. :holly1:

Congrats! on your healthy lifestyle the first day of 2012!

Im watching Once Upon A Time review marathon and ate a cupcake! :lol:

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

PreviousNext

Return to Holiday Chatter