2000 Posts By Christmas 2012

The place for Christmas and non-Christmas chatter.

Re: 2000 Posts By Christmas 2012

Postby CandyKane » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:30 pm

I wish I could get really excited about Christmas in July but it's just never been my thing. It's too hard for me to get in the Spirit when it's 100 degrees outside. I could never put up a tree or decorations in July. For me it would just detract from the real holiday. But I will be enjoying some of those great Hallmark Christmas movies this weekend. :smilecc:

“Our hearts grow tender with childhood memories and love of kindred, and we are better throughout the year for having, in spirit, become a child again at Christmastime.”

― Laura Ingalls Wilder
CandyKane
Sleigh Assistant

Postby Christmas Crazy » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:03 pm

No Christmas in July here. But I do listen to Christmas music all year long. :singing:
And I like hearing from people who celebrate it in July. Just not my thing either.
Christmas Crazy
Sleigh Assistant

Postby Noel+ » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:31 pm

Hi CK and Christmas Crazy. If its not your thing, then just enjoy your summertime! I know its not for everyone.......... :smilecc:

I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year! Charles Dickens
Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:26 am

Noel+ wrote:One Christmas in July, about 5 years ago, I did put up our 7.5 ft tree. I completely decorated the tree and was exhausted. AND 2 days later it was time to take it down again!

So.......since then........I decorate the front of the house sans tree. I do purchase little gift for each person and fix a compelte Christmas meal. The battery operated candles are all glowing too!

Tomorrow we'll be watching the Classic Christmas flicks on Hallmark! :smilecc:

You decorate the outside? what do the neighbors think. LOL We are in an apartment so not much "outside". If we do eat the official chrismtas in july meal we might blast the neighbors with Jimmy Buffet´s Christmas Island CD.

That does however, lead me to my next question. How long do my christmas friends celebrate Christmas in July? all month, one week, a day or two?

We do Christmas in July for a week with movies, music, a few decorations. No "non christmas" tv or radio allowed. We try to stay in so that the "christmas dream" is not ruined by the non christmas world. Looks like it will be too hot for a cruise. We do "Christmas in August" too, but only for one day. Christmas in jUly gifts are $10 (100 SEK) or less (the price of a paper back book), Christmas in August gifts are $1 or 10SEK (the bargain bin at the grocery store type thing). This year I already got my christmas in July gift, a necklace at the grocery store (walmart type) with two cats. Not sure what hubby will get, but I just remembered I have the tuxedo "t shirts" as a back up. :elfgrin:

OH, and there was a news story on Swedish tv about a family that celebrates christmas 4 times a year! June, July, November, and December. So, we are not the only swedes celebrating Jul i Juli! :scene:
Jennifer Lundgren
originally from San Antonio, Texas (USA)

LIfe is one Christmas adventure after another.
Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

Postby CandyKane » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:58 pm

Usually my Christmas planning will be in full swing right after the 4th of July and dd's birthday pass but this year with kindergarten quickly approaching it will be put off a little while longer. School supplies and pretty new clothes will have to come first. :holly1:

“Our hearts grow tender with childhood memories and love of kindred, and we are better throughout the year for having, in spirit, become a child again at Christmastime.”

― Laura Ingalls Wilder
CandyKane
Sleigh Assistant

Postby CandyKane » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:02 pm

Thanks to a lightening strike a very large pine tree in my front yard will have to be cut. Usually I would be very upset if we had to cut a tree out of my yard but I'm kinda glad about this one. Every year I complain about how it blocks the view of my Christmas decorations from the road and drive way. And of course the endless raking of pine needles. :gbhouse:

― Laura Ingalls Wilder
CandyKane
Sleigh Assistant

Postby CandyKane » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:18 pm

http://www.hsn.com/home-decor/winter-la ... 28_xp.aspx

Just saw this on HSN. It might just be my new favorite Christmas decoration. :smilecc:

― Laura Ingalls Wilder
CandyKane
Sleigh Assistant

Postby CandyKane » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:42 pm

I got dd's t-ball pictures back and they are so good. This years package included an option to purchase sports trading cards and I bought extra of those. They will be pefect to tuck into Christmas cards for family and friends. :scene:

― Laura Ingalls Wilder
CandyKane
Sleigh Assistant

Postby Noel+ » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:41 pm

CandyKane wrote:http://www.hsn.com/home-decor/winter-lane-revolving-tv-music-box_p-6752228_xp.aspx

Just saw this on HSN. It might just be my new favorite Christmas decoration. :smilecc:

Oh, just so cute! QVC's Christmas in July is all weekend! :smilecc:

I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year! Charles Dickens
Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Noel+ » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:41 pm

CandyKane wrote:I got dd's t-ball pictures back and they are so good. This years package included an option to purchase sports trading cards and I bought extra of those. They will be pefect to tuck into Christmas cards for family and friends. :scene:

What a creative Christmas gift, CK! :smilecc:

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby CandyKane » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:53 am

Despite the drought, I have managed to keep the gardens watered and we are enjoying boutiful harvests everyday. I've been busy canning and freezing everything. It's such a joy to enjoy our veggies with our winter meals. And something delicious always makes it's way to our Christmas feast. :dinner: :ornasmile:

― Laura Ingalls Wilder
CandyKane
Sleigh Assistant

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:52 am

CandyKane wrote:Despite the drought, I have managed to keep the gardens watered and we are enjoying boutiful harvests everyday. I've been busy canning and freezing everything. It's such a joy to enjoy our veggies with our winter meals. And something delicious always makes it's way to our Christmas feast. :dinner: :ornasmile:

Ah....then you are a good one to ask...can I steam squash and then freeze it? We do not have it year round here. Well, we have pumpkin now and acorn squash pretty much all year, they never heard of spaghetti squash, and yellow zuchinni (I yellow summer squash) and green zuchinni now. Squash makes me think of Thanksgiving and that makes me think of Christmas!

Happy Christmas in July! :dinner:
Jennifer Lundgren

Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

Postby FatherChristmas » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:24 pm

I finally went back to Bronner's Christmas Wonderland. I've been wanting to go for a while now. Merry Christmas in July everyone!
FatherChristmas
Bulb Tester

Postby Christmas Crazy » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:23 pm

FatherChristmas wrote:I finally went back to Bronner's Christmas Wonderland. I've been wanting to go for a while now. Merry Christmas in July everyone!

Oh, I'm so jealous. I will make it there someday! (I hope) :lol:
How long did it take to look at all the Christmas stuff?
Christmas Crazy
Sleigh Assistant

Postby Noel+ » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:27 pm

Christmas Crazy wrote:
FatherChristmas wrote:I finally went back to Bronner's Christmas Wonderland. I've been wanting to go for a while now. Merry Christmas in July everyone!

Congrats! Father Christmas! I live so far away now and am just as jealous as Christmas Crazy! What a great Christmas in July present!! :scene:

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby FatherChristmas » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:02 pm

Christmas Crazy wrote:

I was only inside for about an hour, but even if I had stayed in longer I still couldn't see everything the store has to offer.
FatherChristmas
Bulb Tester

Postby FatherChristmas » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:03 pm

Noel+ wrote:
Christmas Crazy wrote:

Congrats! Father Christmas! I live so far away now and am just as jealous as Christmas Crazy! What a great Christmas in July present!! :scene:

Thanks. I spent way too much money but it was worth it because I got four new Santas to go in my collection :smilecc:
FatherChristmas
Bulb Tester

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:30 am

Only 3 more days to the beginning of the Christmas in July celebration at the Lundgren Lägenhet! It is almost as fun as waiting for Christmas! Will see what I can pick up on QVC online.
Jennifer Lundgren

Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:54 am

CandyKane wrote:I wish I could get really excited about Christmas in July but it's just never been my thing. It's too hard for me to get in the Spirit when it's 100 degrees outside. I could never put up a tree or decorations in July. For me it would just detract from the real holiday. But I will be enjoying some of those great Hallmark Christmas movies this weekend. :smilecc:

Well, Christmas in July for us started just by watching christmas and snow movies to take our minds off of the heat and went on from there. In the US, Cartoon Network used to show all the family favorites during July as well, but that has been several years ago. Rudolph and Frosty´s Christmas in July is a staple as well as Christmas in July with Preston Sturges even though that is more about a shopping spree than Christmas, it is still fun and our Sunday night quick off. Other favorites include Off Season with Hume Cronin, Moonlight and mIstletoe with Tom Arnold, and Christmas Town, as well as the usual Rankin-Bass favorites. I have also found some cute Christmas in July specials on Youtube: Camp Candy, Punky Brewster, and Transformers Rescue Bots, things I would not normally watch.
Jennifer Lundgren

Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:44 pm

http://tomtarojul.wordpress.com/

Found a similar group to CAY in Sweden! They are based in Skåne and do not seem to have a running dialogue like this, but still fun. THEY say Jul i Juli (Christmas in July in Swedish) runs from July 1-24 and ends on July 24. Hm....might do that next year, but that seems an awfully long time. I like the anticipation of waiting for it to arrive and then only have it for a week. Some of it is in English and you can always translate using www.google.com/translate.
Jennifer Lundgren

Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

PreviousNext

Return to Holiday Chatter