2000 Posts By Christmas 2012

The place for Christmas and non-Christmas chatter.

Re: 2000 Posts By Christmas 2012

Postby Christmas Crazy » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:05 pm

Noel+ wrote:
CandyKane wrote:I saw on the news last night where the pumpkin patch/corn maze operators are debating on whether or not they will even open this year because of the dismal crops thanks to the drought. The Fall Pumpkin Patch trip is a family tradition. Hope that they will open. :pumpkin: With so much bad stuff this summer, I hope for a cheery Fall. :cheer: And even cheerier Christmas. :treeclap:

Yes, the drought, fire and storms have depleted cattle, turkeys and much of the country's potatoe/vegetable supply. Prices, they predict, will soar. As a child we once had meatloaf for Turkey Day......so if it comes to that we'll eat with smiles on our faces. And a nice dessert makes Christmas light up! :dinner: :scene:

Noel, sorry to hear about your job situation. I'll be praying for you and everyone else who is still looking for work.
And I don't care what I eat for Thanksgiving. As soon As I'm done eating, the Christmas tree is going up!
:merrytree:
Christmas Crazy
Sleigh Assistant

Postby Christmas Crazy » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:10 pm

CandyKane wrote:I could be completely wrong but I would guess the lack of turkey is just a result of consumers not being accustomed to it. How popular would turkey be in the U.S. if it weren't for Thanksgiving and Christmas? I come from a family of hunters and wild turkey has always been on the menu, and it's always fried, not baked like the holiday ones. I think it's just a lack of holiday customs associated with it and a lack of consumer demand. Just my 2 cents. And now I'm hungry. :dinner:

CK, I think you're right about the holiday custom. But Jennifer could be starting something that just might stick. We'll have to see how her husband likes it.
No pressure Jennifer! :wink:
Christmas Crazy
Sleigh Assistant

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:14 am

Noel+ wrote:This is a short post, and I apologize for it being a downer. I was fired from my part-time job yesterday. The average length of full=time unemployment where I live is 14 months so starting Monday I'm looking for part-time again. Many of you are hurting very much also and my heart goes out to you.

Christmas will be celebrated with our spirits and hearts even if our pocket books are 'thin'. :snowwow:

So sorry to hear that! Will keep you in prayer. I am glad we bought decorations the last couple of years when we were both working. I do not care if there are presents, but putting up the decorations lifts my Christmas heart, which is of course, where we know Christmas lives! Hang in there! :gbhouse:
Jennifer Lundgren
originally from San Antonio, Texas (USA)

LIfe is one Christmas adventure after another.
Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:20 am

Christmas Crazy wrote:
CandyKane wrote:I could be completely wrong but I would guess the lack of turkey is just a result of consumers not being accustomed to it. How popular would turkey be in the U.S. if it weren't for Thanksgiving and Christmas? I come from a family of hunters and wild turkey has always been on the menu, and it's always fried, not baked like the holiday ones. I think it's just a lack of holiday customs associated with it and a lack of consumer demand. Just my 2 cents. And now I'm hungry. :dinner:

CK, I think you're right about the holiday custom. But Jennifer could be starting something that just might stick. We'll have to see how her husband likes it.
No pressure Jennifer! :wink:

Oh he loves the idea, but supply and finances do not always comply. I often listen to Old Time Radio and have a collection of "thanksgiving episodes" from the Depression era. They often ate corn meal mush (yuck), applesauce (homemade chunky style), chicken, or even fish for the holidays. Nutloaf is common with vegetarians. Stuffed squash served as a main dish is also nice or a good root vegetable casserole. I do not know how available or expensive minced pork is but I have made a couple of nice "pork" loaves for special occassions. I used to have a recipe for a "rice turkey", puffed pastry formed into a turkey shape filled with stuff rice. Will try to locate it and post. Bread pudding was also a common depression era dessert (and a family favorite). Christmas (and Thanksgiving) is in the heart and we are only limited by our imaginations. :scene:
Jennifer Lundgren

Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:24 am

CandyKane wrote:Merry Friday Christmas to you Christmas Crazy! I love how we can turn the odd-and-end happy bits of our lives and relate them to Christmas. :scene:

I love your Friday Christmases! In Sweden, we have a CD album called Absolute Christmas which is a mix of english and swedish pop "holiday" songs. It is great "house cleaning music". Hubby´s mother trained him well. He said she used to listen to Christmas music year round while doing house work. :whistle:
Jennifer Lundgren

Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:03 am

Here is one recipe from Vegetarian Times. That would look great as the main item on the plate surrounded by other traditional sides such as sweet potatoes, cranbeery salad, etc. Or even such non traditional things as potatoe salad or coleslaw (I come from Texas where Thanskgiving/Christmas is often cold turkey and salads).

http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipe/r ... ith-gravy/

I have the magazine with the "veggie bird" in it, but cannot find an online source for it. It is Veggie Life from Winter 2001-2002. If anyone wants the recipe I will see if hubby can copy it as work and scan it in. I have always wanted to try it just for the fun of it, but have not so far.

I now have the Veggie bird pages scanned in the computer and can send them as a PDF or Word doc. If anyone wants copies, send me your email address.
Looking at these magazines makes me wish it was Christmas!
Jennifer Lundgren

Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

Postby Noel+ » Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:32 pm

Tomtemor wrote:
Noel+ wrote:This is a short post, and I apologize for it being a downer. I was fired from my part-time job yesterday. The average length of full=time unemployment where I live is 14 months so starting Monday I'm looking for part-time again. Many of you are hurting very much also and my heart goes out to you.

Christmas will be celebrated with our spirits and hearts even if our pocket books are 'thin'. :snowwow:

So sorry to hear that! Will keep you in prayer. I am glad we bought decorations the last couple of years when we were both working. I do not care if there are presents, but putting up the decorations lifts my Christmas heart, which is of course, where we know Christmas lives! Hang in there! :gbhouse:

Thank you and you too Jennifer! And I agree some Christmas decorations and carols make the season bright and keep me focused on the birth of Christ!

I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year! Charles Dickens
Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Noel+ » Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:33 pm

Christmas Crazy wrote:
Noel+ wrote:
CandyKane wrote:I saw on the news last night where the pumpkin patch/corn maze operators are debating on whether or not they will even open this year because of the dismal crops thanks to the drought. The Fall Pumpkin Patch trip is a family tradition. Hope that they will open. :pumpkin: With so much bad stuff this summer, I hope for a cheery Fall. :cheer: And even cheerier Christmas. :treeclap:

Yes, the drought, fire and storms have depleted cattle, turkeys and much of the country's potatoe/vegetable supply. Prices, they predict, will soar. As a child we once had meatloaf for Turkey Day......so if it comes to that we'll eat with smiles on our faces. And a nice dessert makes Christmas light up! :dinner: :scene:

Noel, sorry to hear about your job situation. I'll be praying for you and everyone else who is still looking for work.
And I don't care what I eat for Thanksgiving. As soon As I'm done eating, the Christmas tree is going up!

:merrytree:

Your prayers are gratefully appreciated Christmas Crazy. :smilecc:

I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year! Charles Dickens
Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:21 am

hm.....Christmas in August?

http://www.pillsbury.com/recipes/three- ... aca1a3bfb/

also maybe our Dec. 23 tradition. Swedes have "dip in the pot" which fortunately hubby does not like. So we are still looking for our own tradition. It is "put up the tree" night, but our little tree only takes about 15-20 minutes and is a big let down to "fill the evening". On the other hand, I do not want to do alot of cooking since we will be doing that the 24 and 25.
Jennifer Lundgren

Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

Postby Christmas Crazy » Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:50 pm

Have a great week my Christmas Friends!

Christmas Crazy
Sleigh Assistant

Postby Noel+ » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:27 pm

Christmas Crazy wrote:Have a great week my Christmas Friends!

Just luv that photo Christmas Crazy! I've seen several of Santa with baby Jesus, but this one is new to me. And I do share your belief! :D

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Noel+ » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:27 pm

Tomtemor wrote:hm.....Christmas in August?

also maybe our Dec. 23 tradition. Swedes have "dip in the pot" which fortunately hubby does not like. So we are still looking for our own tradition. It is "put up the tree" night, but our little tree only takes about 15-20 minutes and is a big let down to "fill the evening". On the other hand, I do not want to do alot of cooking since we will be doing that the 24 and 25.

What fun! Thanks for the Christmas link! :smilecc:

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:45 pm

Noel+ wrote:
Tomtemor wrote:hm.....Christmas in August?

What fun! Thanks for the Christmas link! :smilecc:

seems like I vaguely remember red and green tortilla chips in SA during Christmas season. Probably terrible for you with all I keep reading about food dyes, but would still be cute for Christmas eve or another informal gathering. Maybe one of those fancy layered dips to be served with regular chips on the side.....I would love mexican salad, but we do not have jicama here. :cry: :dinner:
Jennifer Lundgren

Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

Postby CandyKane » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:04 pm

Thanks for another beautiful Christmas image Christmas Crazy. And I don't think I've ever seen this one before either. :smilecc:

“Our hearts grow tender with childhood memories and love of kindred, and we are better throughout the year for having, in spirit, become a child again at Christmastime.”

― Laura Ingalls Wilder
CandyKane
Sleigh Assistant

Postby ksrjreed » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:32 am

Love the picture Christmas Crazy, truly sums up my love for Christmas.

Was out shopping yesterday and our local Sam's Club already has out autumn decor and Halloween decorations as well, and with me listening to Christmas music for the past two weeks I have figured out why I am ready to say goodbye to summer and say hello to fall, because I think everyone around is ready as well. :smilecc:

Some men are Baptists, others Catholics; my father was an Oldsmobile man.
ksrjreed
Bow Maker

Location: Helping the Old Man Change a Tire,,,,,,,OH FUDGE!!!

Postby Noel+ » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:11 pm

On September 1st I always take out the Autumn decorations! It'll be near 110F here but inside it will look & smell like Autumn. And that is the surest sign that Christmas is coming and its almost time to celebrate! :smilecc:

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby CandyKane » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:16 pm

WooHoo!! I got my first Christmas catalog in the mail today. It's the 'Leanin Tree' Chistmas cards and gifts 2012 catalog. I can't wait to check it out. :elfgrin:

“Our hearts grow tender with childhood memories and love of kindred, and we are better throughout the year for having, in spirit, become a child again at Christmastime.”

― Laura Ingalls Wilder
CandyKane
Sleigh Assistant

Postby Christmas Crazy » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:01 pm

ksrjreed wrote:Love the picture Christmas Crazy, truly sums up my love for Christmas.

Was out shopping yesterday and our local Sam's Club already has out autumn decor and Halloween decorations as well, and with me listening to Christmas music for the past two weeks I have figured out why I am ready to say goodbye to summer and say hello to fall, because I think everyone around is ready as well. :smilecc:

I am sooooo ready also. :leafjump:
Christmas Crazy
Sleigh Assistant

Postby Christmas Crazy » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:14 pm

CandyKane wrote:WooHoo!! I got my first Christmas catalog in the mail today. It's the 'Leanin Tree' Chistmas cards and gifts 2012 catalog. I can't wait to check it out. :elfgrin:

Ooooh! Now I will be checking my mailbox every day with great expectation. :elfgrin:
Christmas Crazy
Sleigh Assistant

Postby Noel+ » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:24 am

Oh, my Lakeside Christmas catalog came over a week ago!

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

PreviousNext

Return to Holiday Chatter