2000 Posts By Christmas 2012

The place for Christmas and non-Christmas chatter.

Re: 2000 Posts By Christmas 2012

Postby CandyKane » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:40 pm

Since I enjoyed 'The Christmas Box' so much I thought I would check out another book by Richard Paul Evans. I chose 'The Christmas List'. It's an awesome book. Really makes you think and puts you in the Spirit of Christmas. :scene:

“Our hearts grow tender with childhood memories and love of kindred, and we are better throughout the year for having, in spirit, become a child again at Christmastime.”

― Laura Ingalls Wilder
CandyKane
Sleigh Assistant

Postby Noel+ » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:21 am

CandyKane wrote:Since I enjoyed 'The Christmas Box' so much I thought I would check out another book by Richard Paul Evans. I chose 'The Christmas List'. It's an awesome book. Really makes you think and puts you in the Spirit of Christmas. :scene:

Yes they are both very good Christmas-themed books CK. So glad you have enjoyed reading them! :D

I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year! Charles Dickens
Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby mistletoe misfit » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:26 am

I haven't read either of those books. I will have to see if they have them at our closest book store or if I can get them for my Kobo. :D

I know Christmas is coming soon now. We just received our schedule for our sons hockey season. Games start October 14th! Both my son and hubby are very excited. DH is coaching his team. He has coached teams before but never the Rep. Next week practices start for our son and DD 10 (her games begin in November)and figure skating starts as well for DD almost 8. I think we need to just set up residence at the arena until April. :laugh:
mistletoe misfit
Head Baker

Postby Noel+ » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:06 pm

mistletoe misfit wrote:I haven't read either of those books. I will have to see if they have them at our closest book store or if I can get them for my Kobo. :D

I know Christmas is coming soon now. We just received our schedule for our sons hockey season. Games start October 14th! Both my son and hubby are very excited. DH is coaching his team. He has coached teams before but never the Rep. Next week practices start for our son and DD 10 (her games begin in November)and figure skating starts as well for DD almost 8. I think we need to just set up residence at the arena until April. :laugh:

Hi MM! So glad to know you're feeling the closeness of Christmas! And cold weather & hockey are good signs on the road to Christmas. Hope you find a copy of the books -- you'll enjoy them! :smilecc:

I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year! Charles Dickens
Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:31 am

Hej Christma friends! I start a volunteer job at the "church café" next thursday.Think "upscale" soup kitchen. In Sweden, if you are getting assistance, you are required to do some kind of volunteer work. I did not want an internship becuase it pays the same as unemployment, is 40 hours, and you do not have time to look for a job. But this will be good. It will teach me a bit about the law and large scale food prep in case we ever open that B/B we dream about. Anyone can eat there and in addition to the usual crowd, I saw workmen and senior citizens. It will be interesting! I am still praying for a job but between my evening class, my library discussion group and now my "job", I find I do not have time to "worry", which is a good thing. Next week is Swedish Thanksgiving! Woohoo! One holiday closer to Christmas! :peekleaves2:

:thanks: :leafjump: :cheer:
Jennifer Lundgren
originally from San Antonio, Texas (USA)

LIfe is one Christmas adventure after another.
Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

Postby CandyKane » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:50 am

Tomtemor~I think it's wonderful that you chose the volunteer job. And who knows, it might help you make the connections you need to find a permanent position. And filling up your life with positive things instead of worry will make you much happier and let the true Spirit of Christmas shine through. :rabstar:

“Our hearts grow tender with childhood memories and love of kindred, and we are better throughout the year for having, in spirit, become a child again at Christmastime.”

― Laura Ingalls Wilder
CandyKane
Sleigh Assistant

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:53 am

CandyKane wrote:Tomtemor~I think it's wonderful that you chose the volunteer job. And who knows, it might help you make the connections you need to find a permanent position. And filling up your life with positive things instead of worry will make you much happier and let the true Spirit of Christmas shine through. :rabstar:

I am glad I found it too. If I had not found my own, they assign you one and picking up trash on the side of the road in Swedish winter does not sound like much Christmas fun to me. Subway cleaning is quite decent but the hours are horrible. If you see a subway cleaner you are either up to early are out way too late. :snowwow:
Jennifer Lundgren

Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

Postby CandyKane » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:54 am

MistletoeMisfit~You are gonna be one busy lady. Hope you can find time for a little Christmas everyday. :smilecc:

Hope you can find the books. But I must tell you they are addictive. I picked up my third book yesterday. 'Grace' I have no idea what order they were written in or even how many books Richard Paul Evans has written but our library has a very large and impressive selection of his works. :carolbells:

― Laura Ingalls Wilder
CandyKane
Sleigh Assistant

Postby jlcarey » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:28 pm

Hi everyone! It's OCTOBER! Yay!! Time to start putting up my Christmas lights!
Got an email from Kellogg's today with an advertisement for their "limited edition" pop-tarts...MARSHMALLOW HOT CHOCOLATE! Yum! lol And the box has a pretty wintery scene with snow and Christmas trees...I know it's silly but it just got me SO EXCITED!! lol You all understand though...right?! :)
jlcarey
Bulb Tester

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:34 pm

I have been watching YouTube videos trying to remind myself how to cook a turkey. It has been at least 5 years and before that I only cooked one for myself (deboned and saved the meat for future casseroles, I did NOT eat a whole turkey by myself). Does anyone have any advice? The videos have the skin on, but I vaguely remember removing the skin. I also do not remember having a package of "innards". I told hubby we are not boiling the neck and innards for broth. We can use a nice powdered mix for gravy. ;-)

HELP! :thanks:

Fortunately Swedes eat ham for Christmas. :peekleaves2:
Jennifer Lundgren

Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

Postby Christmas Crazy » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:45 pm

Tomtemor wrote:Hej Christma friends! I start a volunteer job at the "church café" next thursday.Think "upscale" soup kitchen. In Sweden, if you are getting assistance, you are required to do some kind of volunteer work. I did not want an internship becuase it pays the same as unemployment, is 40 hours, and you do not have time to look for a job. But this will be good. It will teach me a bit about the law and large scale food prep in case we ever open that B/B we dream about. Anyone can eat there and in addition to the usual crowd, I saw workmen and senior citizens. It will be interesting! I am still praying for a job but between my evening class, my library discussion group and now my "job", I find I do not have time to "worry", which is a good thing. Next week is Swedish Thanksgiving! Woohoo! One holiday closer to Christmas! :peekleaves2:

Hooray for the "job"! There may be a Christmas blessing heading your way. Make a lot of friends "connections" while you are there. I don't know about anyone else, but I have got all but one of my jobs thru friends or friends of friends "connections". And I have helped a few friends get a job where I work.
Connections are good! :wink: GOOD LUCK!
Oh, and good luck with the turkey.
Last edited by Christmas Crazy on Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Christmas Crazy
Sleigh Assistant

Postby Christmas Crazy » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:58 pm

jlcarey wrote:Hi everyone! It's OCTOBER! Yay!! Time to start putting up my Christmas lights!
Got an email from Kellogg's today with an advertisement for their "limited edition" pop-tarts...MARSHMALLOW HOT CHOCOLATE! Yum! lol And the box has a pretty wintery scene with snow and Christmas trees...I know it's silly but it just got me SO EXCITED!! lol You all understand though...right?! :)

Christmas lights in October?! I'm jealous.

I just Googled the Pop Tarts and they look good! I may have to get some for the kids and myself.
Christmas Crazy
Sleigh Assistant

Postby Noel+ » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:49 am

Tomtemor wrote:Hej Christma friends! I start a volunteer job at the "church café" next thursday.Think "upscale" soup kitchen. In Sweden, if you are getting assistance, you are required to do some kind of volunteer work. I did not want an internship becuase it pays the same as unemployment, is 40 hours, and you do not have time to look for a job. But this will be good. It will teach me a bit about the law and large scale food prep in case we ever open that B/B we dream about. Anyone can eat there and in addition to the usual crowd, I saw workmen and senior citizens. It will be interesting! I am still praying for a job but between my evening class, my library discussion group and now my "job", I find I do not have time to "worry", which is a good thing. Next week is Swedish Thanksgiving! Woohoo! One holiday closer to Christmas! :peekleaves2:

That is wonderful news, Jennifer! I am very proud of you for sharing your time & talents with others in need. There is no higher joy than giving.......that's what Christmas is all about! I believe God will honor your heart with a great job in His perfect timing. Continuing to pray........ :smilecc:

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Noel+ » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:50 am

jlcarey wrote:Hi everyone! It's OCTOBER! Yay!! Time to start putting up my Christmas lights!

MMMM........those pop tarts sound yummy and will make a nice surprise for all the littles at our Christmas Eve [morning] brunch! Thanks for sharing!

And her it is still 106F -- too hot to put out lights yet. :wink:

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby mistletoe misfit » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:12 am

Tomtemor wrote:I have been watching YouTube videos trying to remind myself how to cook a turkey. It has been at least 5 years and before that I only cooked one for myself (deboned and saved the meat for future casseroles, I did NOT eat a whole turkey by myself). Does anyone have any advice? The videos have the skin on, but I vaguely remember removing the skin. I also do not remember having a package of "innards". I told hubby we are not boiling the neck and innards for broth. We can use a nice powdered mix for gravy. ;-)

HELP! :thanks:

Fortunately Swedes eat ham for Christmas. :peekleaves2:

Hi Tomtemor

I have never taken the skin off my turkey, it looks so lovely when it's cooked all golden brown. Most turkeys here have the innards and the neck, but my family doesn't like them so I throw them out. I always stuff my bird. I melt butter and fry up onions in it then add poultry seasoning or sage and pour over a bowl of broken up bread. I don't measure I just make sure that all bread pieces are moist. I give it a little taste and if I don't think there is enough poultry seasoning I add more to it. I rinse the inside and outside of the turkey thoroughly with cold water and then stuff it. I wrap the wings in foil so they don't dry out .It takes about 15-20 minutes per pound cooking at 350. I make the gravy after the turkey is cooked using the drippings and water from some of the veggies. I also use a couple of Knorr Chicken oxo packets for added flavour, then thicken the gravy with corn starch. My mom always used flour as a thickener though.
I am sure it will turn out wonderful! I was really nervous the first couple of times I cooked a turkey for my family at Christmas. Just make sure it is cooked thoroughly and it will be fine. Mine turned out a little dry a couple of times, but that's the glory of gravy, no one noticed. :D Enjoy your turkey and all the left overs!
:thanks:
mistletoe misfit
Head Baker

Postby mistletoe misfit » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:31 am

We are closing up the trailer this weekend. I have mixed emotions,sad the season is over but happy hockey season is beginning and of course soon Christmas! I wish everyone celebrating this weekend a Happy Thanksgiving! I will be cooking our family turkey feast on Thanksgiving Day! I can't wait to smell it cooking and to know the next time we cook turkey it will be on Christmas!
:thanks:
mistletoe misfit
Head Baker

Postby Noel+ » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:40 am

Hi MM. Your mixed emotions are understandable........love your excitement about turkey dinner meaning Christmas is coming soon! :smilecc:

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby CandyKane » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:10 pm

A cold front moved through this morning and it brought a strong thunderstorm and a LOT of rain. Temps will get down in the 30's and 40's this weekend. Brrrrrrr :cold: But the really good thing is cold weather always puts me in the Christmas Spirit. joyelf

― Laura Ingalls Wilder
CandyKane
Sleigh Assistant

Postby jlcarey » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:11 pm

Me too CandyKane!! I'm in Cincinnati, Ohio and it's supposed to get down to 33 Sunday morning, and only up to 52 or so! I'm so excited for it! And I can't wait to go home and put out some fall decorations and light up my cinnamon and pumpkin candles! (I'm LATE ON THIS!!) Also, going to pick up a Marshmallow Pumpkin bar for my Scentsy warmer today! Yummy!! Can't wait! I am SO in the Christmas mood right now! Just came back from Gatlinburg on Monday and went to the Christmas Place for the first time while I was there!! Holy cow, I could LIVE in that store!!! It is like WONDERLAND! It got me so so excited for Christmas! I'm listening to my Pandora Christmas station today and LOVING it! Everyone around me is a GRINCH! I say Christmas, and they GROAN! What?!?! How can so many people be so grouchy about Christmas?! I don't care if I can't buy one gift, I will still enjoy the holiday with my family and friends! The sights, and foods, and smells, the traditions and events...I can't wait!! Happy Friday everyone! Enjoy your weekend!

BTW...Alan Jackson's "Let It Be Christmas" is such a good song and really gets me in the mood...along with "The Carol Of The Bells"....LOVE THEM!

Oh who am I kidding?....they all do!!! lol :sing:
jlcarey
Bulb Tester

Postby Noel+ » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:03 pm

Congrats! CK and JCarey on the nice cold weather. A chill wind reminds us of Christmas! :snowwow:

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

PreviousNext

Return to Holiday Chatter