2000 Posts By Christmas 2012

The place for Christmas and non-Christmas chatter.

Re: 2000 Posts By Christmas 2012

Postby Christmas Crazy » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:28 pm

jlcarey wrote:Heading out on my lunch break to watch my daughter's Halloween Parade at school. Can't wait till tomorrow to start decorating my cubicle! I finally work for a company that allows you to do all the decorating you want!! It's so going to be a Christmas wonderland in my cubicle! Pictures to come when I get it done! :gbhouse:

That's the Christmas Spirit jlcarey! :shop:
Christmas Crazy
Sleigh Assistant

Postby Christmas Crazy » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:09 am

HAPPY NOVEMBER!
Christmas is next month! :shop:
Christmas Crazy
Sleigh Assistant

Postby mistletoe misfit » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:41 am

I hope everyone had a fun Halloween! All 3 of my kiddies were scary creatures this year. Our son wore a really freaky skeleton mask that looked like it was bleeding, DD 10 was a gorilla, and DD 8 was a vampire.
I happily welcome November! November is always filled with so many wonderful parades. Two nearby small town Christmas parades, The Toronto Santa Claus Parade and of course The Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade! Not to mention I get to start my Christmas decorating! Somehow every year my DH forgets we begin the Christmas season on November 1st. I spoke to him last night about it and he just gave me that look and then rolled his eyes. Poor, Poor sweet man! :lol:
mistletoe misfit
Head Baker

Postby Noel+ » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:47 pm

mistletoe misfit wrote:I hope everyone had a fun Halloween! All 3 of my kiddies were scary creatures this year. Our son wore a really freaky skeleton mask that looked like it was bleeding, DD 10 was a gorilla, and DD 8 was a vampire.
I happily welcome November! November is always filled with so many wonderful parades. Two nearby small town Christmas parades, The Toronto Santa Claus Parade and of course The Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade! Not to mention I get to start my Christmas decorating! Somehow every year my DH forgets we begin the Christmas season on November 1st. I spoke to him last night about it and he just gave me that look and then rolled his eyes. Poor, Poor sweet man! :lol:

What fun, MM! Sounds like the children were really into the dressing up part! My DD was Cinderella, and my DS was Neil Armstrong. And I ate candy! That means Christmas is just around the corner! :lol:

I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year! Charles Dickens
Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Noel+ » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:47 pm

Christmas Crazy wrote:HAPPY NOVEMBER!
Christmas is next month! :shop:

Just happy November as we decorate for Christmas!! :smilecc:

I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year! Charles Dickens
Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby mistletoe misfit » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:03 pm

I went to the grocery store this morning and was thrilled to find Candy Cane flavoured Egg Nog. It has been 2 Christmases since they sold it. I can't wait to share with the kiddies when they get home from school. :holly1:
mistletoe misfit
Head Baker

Postby kiwidogy_max » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:12 pm

I had a great Halloween at the new house. We actually got trick-or-treaters this year! About 50 of them! After a Garfield Halloween and some spooky music, November 1st is here! The Christmas season has begun as I look forward to egg nog in the stores! This season does remind me of how much I enjoy Halloween though!! :peekleaves2:
Love and Joy Come to You!
Santa's coming Santa's coming! I know him!
kiwidogy_max
Toy Maker

Postby kiwidogy_max » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:14 pm

It is hard to believe only 2 more full weeks of school before the Thanksgiving break! Time to get a jump on Christmas shopping.
kiwidogy_max
Toy Maker

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:22 am

:pumpkin: :thanks: :throw: I hope all my Christmas friends had a safe and happy Halloween. It has been a busy week here. We celebrate All Saints Day tomorrow (yes, saturday, not Nov. 1, swedish thing what can I say....) and All Souls Day on Sunday. I was told that at my soup kitchen volunteer job we start wearing red aprons this weekend for Christmas. Hubby and I had an audition for a Norwegian commercial yesterday playing an american tourists couple. It was fun. If we get the gig, we will film in Norway Nov. 28-30. That could be a nice pre-Christmas vacation as well as some nice money for the US trip. Still praying for a job. Had one interview, but not feeling great about it. The kind where they only say "tell me about yourself" and do not ask you specific questions.

So, today is my cleaning day which means it is a Friday Christmas! Woohoo, One holiday closer to Christmas! :pumpkin: :scene: :snowwow:
Jennifer Lundgren
originally from San Antonio, Texas (USA)

LIfe is one Christmas adventure after another.
Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:24 am

mistletoe misfit wrote:I went to the grocery store this morning and was thrilled to find Candy Cane flavoured Egg Nog. It has been 2 Christmases since they sold it. I can't wait to share with the kiddies when they get home from school. :holly1:

oh my that sounds good. No commercial eggnog here, have to make it from scratch anyway, I wonder how I can infuse candy cane tastes........... :think:

Christmas is coming soon!
Jennifer Lundgren

Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:32 am

mistletoe misfit wrote:I hope everyone had a fun Halloween! All 3 of my kiddies were scary creatures this year. Our son wore a really freaky skeleton mask that looked like it was bleeding, DD 10 was a gorilla, and DD 8 was a vampire.

You remind me of my dilemma. We celebrated "thanksgiving" early this year on the swedish day. So, since I said I really wanted to be ready for Advent this year, I need to start transitioning the house. But I have not decided exactly what that means yet. Christmas stuff is all over the stores. But we want to have a smaller meal for American thanskgiving, since this year we have an extra weekend in between (or we did before the commercial came up). So, what to do. We did not get the fall linens out until October and it feels too soon to take them down. We have had one brief snow flurry and are not back to "fall" cold and rain. I guess I could take a clue from our Canadian Christmas friends and say "christmas" starts Nov. 1. :smilecc:
Jennifer Lundgren

Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

Postby kiwidogy_max » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:36 am

I work in a school in Vermont, so unfortunately we cannot put up any Christmas decorations. We could even have any Halloween decorations or parties for the kids. I do understand that not all kids celebrate holidays (we have 1 family that doesn't does not even celebrate birthdays). I would love to find a way to make those kids not feel uncomfortable, but not to the detriment of the literally 99% that do celebrate but are never allowed to. It is just sad to me that no holidays can be mentioned in the classrooms. In my opinion, the kids should learn about all of them around the world to see how in many ways they are related and promote discussions. Just my 2 cents:
kiwidogy_max
Toy Maker

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:40 am

Mistletoe Misfit,

so do you do anything to kick off your november 1 christmas season other than start decorating? or is it sort of like a "soft opening" of a store before the official "grand opening"? That is sort of what I was thinking of in terms of getting ready for First Advent rather than rushing to do everything that weekend.......
Jennifer Lundgren

Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:05 am

kiwidogy_max wrote:I work in a school in Vermont, so unfortunately we cannot put up any Christmas decorations. We could even have any Halloween decorations or parties for the kids. I do understand that not all kids celebrate holidays (we have 1 family that doesn't does not even celebrate birthdays). I would love to find a way to make those kids not feel uncomfortable, but not to the detriment of the literally 99% that do celebrate but are never allowed to. It is just sad to me that no holidays can be mentioned in the classrooms. In my opinion, the kids should learn about all of them around the world to see how in many ways they are related and promote discussions. Just my 2 cents:

Wow. I thought that applied only to the "religously sensitive" holidays of Easter and Christmas. Hang in there!
Jennifer Lundgren

Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

Postby mistletoe misfit » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:13 am

Tomtemor wrote:
mistletoe misfit wrote:I went to the grocery store this morning and was thrilled to find Candy Cane flavoured Egg Nog. It has been 2 Christmases since they sold it. I can't wait to share with the kiddies when they get home from school. :holly1:

oh my that sounds good. No commercial eggnog here, have to make it from scratch anyway, I wonder how I can infuse candy cane tastes........... :think:

Christmas is coming soon!

Tomtemor
The first Christmas I bought the candy cane egg nog I didn't think anyone would really like it. Surprisingly we all loved it! It just really needs to be ice cold.
If you have a good blender or a food processor you can turn candy canes into an almost powder then blend it with your homemade egg nog ! :smilecc:
Last edited by mistletoe misfit on Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
mistletoe misfit
Head Baker

Postby mistletoe misfit » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:20 am

Tomtemor wrote:
kiwidogy_max wrote:I work in a school in Vermont, so unfortunately we cannot put up any Christmas decorations. We could even have any Halloween decorations or parties for the kids. I do understand that not all kids celebrate holidays (we have 1 family that doesn't does not even celebrate birthdays). I would love to find a way to make those kids not feel uncomfortable, but not to the detriment of the literally 99% that do celebrate but are never allowed to. It is just sad to me that no holidays can be mentioned in the classrooms. In my opinion, the kids should learn about all of them around the world to see how in many ways they are related and promote discussions. Just my 2 cents:

Wow. I thought that applied only to the "religously sensitive" holidays of Easter and Christmas. Hang in there!

Our school doesn't celebrate Halloween anymore, they have wear orange and black day on Halloween instead. I am afraid one day soon we wont be able to have any Christmas celebrations as well. I would love for my children to learn about ALL the different holidays as well. I just pray that Christmas isn't taken away at our school too!
mistletoe misfit
Head Baker

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:36 am

mistletoe misfit wrote:
Tomtemor wrote:
mistletoe misfit wrote:Tomtemor
The first Christmas I bought the candy cane egg nog I didn't think anyone would really like it. Surprisingly we all loved it! It just really needs to be ice cold.
If you have a good blender or a food processor you can turn candy canes into an almost powder then blend it with your homemade egg nog ! :smilecc:

hm....sadly not, but as hubby will not be as enthusiastic as me, I am thinking to pulverize them with the old fashioned mortar and pestal and sprinkle on top of the whipped cream.................hm...............that is sounding good. Could work for christmas coffee as well. :smilecc:
Jennifer Lundgren

Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:42 am

Quote Mistletoe Misfit: "Our school doesn't celebrate Halloween anymore, they have wear orange and black day on Halloween instead. "

Ay yi yi, so Thanksgiving is Turkey Day and Christmas is Present Day.....hm.....New Years is Fireworks Day, Valentine´s is Heart Day (it´s swedish name anyway), St Patrick´s Day is Shamrock Day.......Easter is Egg Day.........I think Halloween should be Black Cat and Pumpkin Day instead.........and we have come full circle. We have the same trend in swedish schools but I think the more you try to be culturally neutral, you wind up giving the kids no culture at all. (you can substitute faith and values for "culture" in that sentence and end up with the same result).
Stepping off the soapbox now............this forum is all about Christmas Cheer!
:scene:
Jennifer Lundgren

Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

Postby mistletoe misfit » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:48 am

Tomtemor wrote:Mistletoe Misfit,

so do you do anything to kick off your november 1 christmas season other than start decorating? or is it sort of like a "soft opening" of a store before the official "grand opening"? That is sort of what I was thinking of in terms of getting ready for First Advent rather than rushing to do everything that weekend.......

LOL I love the "soft opening" description, that's perfect! :smilecc:
I don't really have any set plans each year, just slowly start bringing Christmas decorations out. Yesterday I brought out my 6 little handmade wooden Christmas trees and have displayed them on my china cabinet. My sister gave these to me last year and were made from "re-claimed wood". Usually by the middle of November our family room tree is up and by the beginning of December our Living room tree is up, then we get our real tree a week or two before Christmas. I have to decorate gradually or I will overwhelm my poor hubby who would prefer everything Christmas not to begin until December 1st. But we compromised years ago on November 1st. Although he conveniently forgets that EVERY year! :laugh:
mistletoe misfit
Head Baker

Postby mistletoe misfit » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:09 am

Tomtemor wrote:
mistletoe misfit wrote:
Tomtemor wrote:
mistletoe misfit wrote:Tomtemor

hm....sadly not, but as hubby will not be as enthusiastic as me, I am thinking to pulverize them with the old fashioned mortar and pestal and sprinkle on top of the whipped cream.................hm...............that is sounding good. Could work for christmas coffee as well. :smilecc:

Great idea! I think I may have to sprinkle some in my coffee this Christmas season and on whip cream topped hot chocolate as well. :flake:
mistletoe misfit
Head Baker

PreviousNext

Return to Holiday Chatter