2000 Posts By Christmas 2012

The place for Christmas and non-Christmas chatter.

Re: 2000 Posts By Christmas 2012

Postby Noel+ » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:19 pm

Christmas Crazy wrote:I was the first in my neighborhood to put up Christmas lights. My next door neighbor was second. The guy across the street has started. The people 3 doors down have their Christmas tree all lit up in their large bay window.

I love to drive around and see all the lights and displays.
Happy, Happy, Happy!!! :D

I was mesmerized with starlight, then Christmas lights, as a child! The glow always lifts my spirits and even though I have a Charlie Brown tree this year, the lights warm my heart. Happy Ditto 3! :wink:

I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year! Charles Dickens
Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Noel+ » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:23 pm

CandyKane wrote:I enjoyed a good Thanksgiving with my family. For the first time ever I cooked the turkey and dressing. I thought my dressing was a disaster but it was eaten and enjoyed by all. The only problem was.....no one thought to bring pumpkin pie. It's just not Thanksgiving without the pumpkin pie. lol :dinner: A few more firsts for me this year. I did some Christmas shopping on Thanksgiving day and I didn't get my tree put up Thanksgiving night. But my house is all scrubbed and super clean so now it's time to bring out the tree and decorations. Dd wants to decorate her Poppy's house so it's time to get out the four wheeler and scout the farm for the perfect tree. There is nothing quite like the smell of a cedar Christmas tree. :scene:

I'm just delighted to know you had a warm & welcoming Thanksgiving CandyKane! You were in my heart & thoughts.

I agree - pumpkin pie is an essential for Thanksgiving & Christmas. Most likely everyone thought someone else would bring the pie. Congrats! on a great turkey the first time you fixed one for dinner! That's an accomplishment! [I'll spare you my first turkey disaster story].

A cedar Christmas tree? I have never heard of anyone doing that, but your right it would smell wonderful. How fun that you get to chose your very own tree on your own property. That brings back childhood memories for me.

Enjoy your decorating! :smilecc:

I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year! Charles Dickens
Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby kiwidogy_max » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:24 pm

It was a nice drive home looking at all of the Christmas lights this evening. I am pretty sure I saw a 20 ft inflatable Santa.
Love and Joy Come to You!
Santa's coming Santa's coming! I know him!
kiwidogy_max
Toy Maker

Postby Noel+ » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:15 pm

kiwidogy_max wrote:It was a nice drive home looking at all of the Christmas lights this evening. I am pretty sure I saw a 20 ft inflatable Santa.

WOW - that's a Christmas super-sized Santa! So glad you enjoyed your drive! :scene:

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Noel+ » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:15 pm

Tomorrow our temps are supposed to be 79F -- we're finally breaking the 80's! YAY! Now if it just continues to cool so it feels more like Christmas! :snowwow:

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Noel+ » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:17 pm

The decorating is all finished, the wreaths/garlands set on 'timer', and the house looks like Christmas! Tomorrow, after some rest, I plan on just enjoying every moment of it! :gbhouse:

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Christmas Crazy » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:25 pm

Noel+ wrote:The decorating is all finished, the wreaths/garlands set on 'timer', and the house looks like Christmas! Tomorrow, after some rest, I plan on just enjoying every moment of it! :gbhouse:

Hooray for Christmas decorating! I'm glad you got it all done Noel. Enjoy. :gbhouse:
Christmas Crazy
Sleigh Assistant

Postby kiwidogy_max » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:15 am

I often wish I could have a job as a Christmas decorator. I would have so much fun! Let's make it happen!
kiwidogy_max
Toy Maker

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:26 am

Hej Christmas Friends, 3 things:

1) Congrats Candy Kane on your first turkey! I made my first around 2005 and my first in Sweden this year. As my mother said, "once you have done it once, it is not so bad". I have never been a die hard fan of stuffing, so once I discovered Stove Top in Sweden, problem solved. My cousin in Belgium, however, makes the best homemade cornbread stuffing from scratch. For me Thanksgiving was all about pumpkin bread and peach cobbler. I did not like pecan or pumpkin pie. I started making pumpkin pies in Sweden because the Swedish hubby said he HAD to have one. My cousin told me how to do it from the pumpkin, I was at a loss as to what to do without canned pumpkin. Christmas, however, must be mincemeat. We do not have any commercial mincemeat either, so I have to make those from scratch as well. I have become quite a cook since moving here.

2) http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Pecan-Cheese-Logs
There is a link for homemade cheese logs. We were talking about the mail order catalogs some time ago and it made me hungry for them. Smoked sausage abounds this time of year in all sorts of "christmas markets" that pop up, but I have not seen cheese logs. I might try this. Pecans are horribly expensive but I can use walnuts or hazelnuts.

3) AND....last but not least, I have an intervew on December 6 (ST. Nicholas Day!) in the English Department at the university. Praying for that ST. Nicholas Day Miracle!
Jennifer Lundgren
originally from San Antonio, Texas (USA)

LIfe is one Christmas adventure after another.
Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:28 am

kiwidogy_max wrote:I often wish I could have a job as a Christmas decorator. I would have so much fun! Let's make it happen!

My cousin´s husband used to do that for a living. I was very disappointed to find out that they just wrap the trees, decorations, etc in HUGE plastic wrap and put them in boxes/crates, then the next year, they take them out, unwrap them and set them up. I suppose it is a time saver. Putting the ornaments on differently each year is half the Christmas fun. :scene:
Jennifer Lundgren

Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

Postby Noel+ » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:59 am

Christmas Crazy wrote:
Noel+ wrote:The decorating is all finished, the wreaths/garlands set on 'timer', and the house looks like Christmas! Tomorrow, after some rest, I plan on just enjoying every moment of it! :gbhouse:

Hooray for Christmas decorating! I'm glad you got it all done Noel. Enjoy. :gbhouse:

Thanks Christmas Crazy! :D

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Noel+ » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:01 am

kiwidogy_max wrote:I often wish I could have a job as a Christmas decorator. I would have so much fun! Let's make it happen!

Yes, I feel that way before Thanksgiving. But you need a 2nd job to cover the other 10 months of the year! :lol:

I heard on tv that in Dallas the up-scale homeowners pay between $18,000-25,000 just to have professional outdoor Christmas lighting designs. Can you imagine what they pay for inside their huge homes? If the decorator gets that kind of contracts, they can live comfortably the rest of the year.

STILL..........Christmas is not about the money, or even the decorations & lights......its a matter of the heart & faith.

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Noel+ » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:04 am

Tomtemor wrote:Hej Christmas Friends, 3 things:

1) Congrats Candy Kane on your first turkey! I made my first around 2005 and my first in Sweden this year. As my mother said, "once you have done it once, it is not so bad". I have never been a die hard fan of stuffing, so once I discovered Stove Top in Sweden, problem solved. My cousin in Belgium, however, makes the best homemade cornbread stuffing from scratch. For me Thanksgiving was all about pumpkin bread and peach cobbler. I did not like pecan or pumpkin pie. I started making pumpkin pies in Sweden because the Swedish hubby said he HAD to have one. My cousin told me how to do it from the pumpkin, I was at a loss as to what to do without canned pumpkin. Christmas, however, must be mincemeat. We do not have any commercial mincemeat either, so I have to make those from scratch as well. I have become quite a cook since moving here.

2) http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Pecan-Cheese-Logs
There is a link for homemade cheese logs. We were talking about the mail order catalogs some time ago and it made me hungry for them. Smoked sausage abounds this time of year in all sorts of "christmas markets" that pop up, but I have not seen cheese logs. I might try this. Pecans are horribly expensive but I can use walnuts or hazelnuts.

3) AND....last but not least, I have an intervew on December 6 (ST. Nicholas Day!) in the English Department at the university. Praying for that ST. Nicholas Day Miracle!

Rejoicing with you, Jennifer, that you have a great interview December 6 (ST. Nicholas Day!)! You are in our prayers from now til then! Still believing for a Christmas miracle for you!

Yes, that's a good website. Homemade cheese balls or logs are the best JMHO and much cheaper than the catalogs. ALthough many of the catalogs have great products, its just the cost for us. Good luck on your search! :dinner:

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby kiwidogy_max » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:31 am

Ideally I would tutor all year, then decorate for the holidays (even beyond just Christmas). That way, I could exercise both parts of my brain!
kiwidogy_max
Toy Maker

Postby kiwidogy_max » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:33 am

Today I will put up my Christmas village. This year, in the new home, I will finally have room for it all! I am excited to see how it will turn out. It is going in the dining room. :scene:
kiwidogy_max
Toy Maker

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:35 am

kiwidogy_max wrote:Ideally I would tutor all year, then decorate for the holidays (even beyond just Christmas). That way, I could exercise both parts of my brain!

That could be a good combo. Most students need a Christmas break!
Jennifer Lundgren

Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:11 am

has anyone ever made their own divinity? I grew up in humid south central texas where those that madeit said the humidity had to be "just right". I was thinking that Sweden is dry enough to try it, but the recipes seem horribly hard. What is the verdict? Is it worth a Christmas try?
Jennifer Lundgren

Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

Postby Christmas Crazy » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:25 am

kiwidogy_max wrote:Today I will put up my Christmas village. This year, in the new home, I will finally have room for it all! I am excited to see how it will turn out. It is going in the dining room. :scene:

Post some pics of your Christmas Village kiwidogy. I would love to see it. :D
Christmas Crazy
Sleigh Assistant

Postby mistletoe misfit » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:03 am

Ever Thankful for a small Christmas miracle this morning! DS was outside with our doggies this morning when one of his lenses fell out of his glasses. The old saying "looking for a needle in a haystack" pretty much covers the search. We live on one acre and he walked about half of it. After an hour of searching with frozen fingers digging through leaves and frozen ground I found it. Thanking God for the sun and calm weather this morning! :smilecc:
mistletoe misfit
Head Baker

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:13 am

mistletoe misfit wrote:Ever Thankful for a small Christmas miracle this morning! DS was outside with our doggies this morning when one of his lenses fell out of his glasses. The old saying "looking for a needle in a haystack" pretty much covers the search. We live on one acre and he walked about half of it. After an hour of searching with frozen fingers digging through leaves and frozen ground I found it. Thanking God for the sun and calm weather this morning! :smilecc:

Wow! Christmas blessings to you! I am blind as a bat without my glasses, so I understand the fear............ 8-)
Jennifer Lundgren

Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

PreviousNext

Return to Holiday Chatter