2013: 2300 Posts til Christmas

The place for Christmas and non-Christmas chatter.

Re: 2013: 2300 Posts til Christmas

Postby Jolly O´Leary » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:14 pm

I am looking for a Christmas in July dessert. What do you think of this?
http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Frozen-Hawaiian-Pie

When should we have the "official" dinner? How long do my Christmas friends celebrate Christmas in July? We usually do about a week, but I keep changing my mind on the dates.
Jennifer Lundgren
Stockholm, Sweden
originally from San Antonio, Texas
Jolly O´Leary
Bulb Tester

Postby Christmas Crazy » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:38 pm

Jolly O´Leary wrote:I am looking for a Christmas in July dessert. What do you think of this?

When should we have the "official" dinner? How long do my Christmas friends celebrate Christmas in July? We usually do about a week, but I keep changing my mind on the dates.

Can't answer that one. We don't celebrate Christmas in July.
Keeping Christmas in the heart year round is a one man affair in my house.
But that's OK. I wasn't like this a few years ago.
They'll catch on eventually.

But if I were celebrating it, I might make it a nine day event.
Starting on the Saturday before the 25th, Dinner on Thursday or Friday, and ending on Sunday eight days later.
What do you think?
:think:
Christmas Crazy
Sleigh Assistant

Postby Christmas Crazy » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:42 pm

Jolly O´Leary wrote:I am looking for a Christmas in July dessert. What do you think of this?

That pie sounds yummy for a HOT Christmas in July day.Image
Christmas Crazy
Sleigh Assistant

Postby Jolly O´Leary » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:51 am

Christmas Crazy wrote:

Can't answer that one. We don't celebrate Christmas in July.
Keeping Christmas in the heart year round is a one man affair in my house.
But that's OK. I wasn't like this a few years ago.
They'll catch on eventually.

But if I were celebrating it, I might make it a nine day event.
Starting on the Saturday before the 25th, Dinner on Thursday or Friday, and ending on Sunday eight days later.
What do you think?
:think:

I have alot to say, but I will do it in several posts so as to work back up to my former Christmas status. Right now we are off to shop for hubby´s new work wardrobe. He is as excited as a kid on Christmas morning.
Jennifer Lundgren
Stockholm, Sweden
Jolly O´Leary
Bulb Tester

Postby Christmas Crazy » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:55 am

Merry Friday Christmas!!!
Christmas Crazy
Sleigh Assistant

Postby Jolly O´Leary » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:22 pm

Merry Friday Christmas! We bought hubby 2 pairs of work pants, 2 casual shirts, 2 dress shirts, and 2 ties. The sales person tried to talk us into a suit, which he will need, but we must wait for real paychecks for that. It would cost as much as all of the other stuff put together. He feels like a kid on Christmas morning.
Jennifer Lundgren
Stockholm, Sweden
Jolly O´Leary
Bulb Tester

Postby Jolly O´Leary » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:23 pm

We also went to a Salvation Army store where hubby got a "new" pair of dress shoes, worn enough to be broken in, but still have a good amount of miles on them and I got a shirt and a scarf with a white background and green, yellow and red flowers in a hawaiian motif I will use for a tree skirt for our Christmas in July tree.
Jennifer Lundgren
Stockholm, Sweden
Jolly O´Leary
Bulb Tester

Postby Jolly O´Leary » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:27 pm

Yeah, I am already up to Tinsel Thrower again! Woohoo! Christmas is my favorite time of year.
Jennifer Lundgren
Stockholm, Sweden
Jolly O´Leary
Bulb Tester

Postby Jolly O´Leary » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:32 pm

Christmas Crazy wrote:

For some reason, a few years ago, Christmas in July took on a Hawaiian theme. I am not sure why. I was trying to think of a warm climate that celebrates Christmas. Being from San Antonio, you would think that Tex Mex would have "hit" me. But we now have clear plastic shell garland, hawaiian ornaments and a starfish "star" for the 2 ft tree we use in the kitchen. So, it is our Christmas in July tree. Without AC, it is too hot to put much effort into decorating, so we just put garland over the doorways, hang the "merry christmas" sign my parents sent from the US, put up a banner in the kitchen doorway that has 3 cats in stockings, and decorate the little tree. We mostly live in the kitchen anyway. I have an old table cloth with iron burns on it that we put down. All of these items are kept in a "Christmas in July" bag inside the apartment so hubby does not have to drag anything up from the basement in the heat. The Christmas in July bag is also a handy place to stash any items that get left out in January. We almost dumped most of the contents this Christmas thinking we would be moving to the US. I am glad we waited. It is hard to find Christmas decorations in Sweden in July. :scene:
Jennifer Lundgren
Stockholm, Sweden
Jolly O´Leary
Bulb Tester

Postby Jolly O´Leary » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:45 pm

Christmas Crazy wrote:

Jennifer's Hawaiian Christmas in July cont.
We try to give the meal a hawaiian flavor. Usually I go to Taste of Home and type in Hawaiian and see what hits us. We have smoked hams year round (little ones). In fact, having part of one for dinner tonight. So, ham and pineapple make a light and easy summer meal. Last year I made hawaiian meatballs from the same website and they were amazing. Will probably do that again this year.
http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Hawaiian-Meatballs
http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Hawaiian-Coleslaw (this is probably similar to our Swedish Dallas Salad) so it goes with the Sweden meets Hawaii theme
In the US, I might add that wonderful hawaiian bread sold in the regular grocery, but we do not have that here. Then the Hawaiian pie for desert.

Which always brings hubby and I back to the discussion of the best night to have the "official" meal. One year, I would love to have a real luau with a white elephant gift exchange, but Swedes and summer parties do not go well together. It is too hot with no AC´d place to have it and the idea of a "white elephant" gift exchange they find rude. Oh well. Maybe some day yet.
Jennifer Lundgren
Stockholm, Sweden
Jolly O´Leary
Bulb Tester

Postby CandyKane » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:20 pm

My child has discovered American Girl. This is gonna be a very expensive Christmas! :shop:

“Our hearts grow tender with childhood memories and love of kindred, and we are better throughout the year for having, in spirit, become a child again at Christmastime.”

― Laura Ingalls Wilder
CandyKane
Sleigh Assistant

Postby tinseltown » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:17 pm

Hi CAY friends wishing you all a festive weekend !!! Pray as i will be working 11and a half hour days from monday for 2 months so i need supernatural strength from God . Christmas seems so for away x
[url][/url]
tinseltown
Christmas Tree Finder

Postby Jolly O´Leary » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:19 pm

tinseltown wrote:Hi CAY friends wishing you all a festive weekend !!! Pray as i will be working 11and a half hour days from monday for 2 months so i need supernatural strength from God . Christmas seems so for away x

Praying for your strength and stamina. We will miss you Christmas friend.
Jennifer Lundgren
Stockholm, Sweden
Jolly O´Leary
Bulb Tester

Postby Jolly O´Leary » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:19 pm

Went shopping again today. Hubby got a new belt to go with his new pants. He is having a very lucrative Christmas in July. :-)
Jennifer Lundgren
Stockholm, Sweden
Jolly O´Leary
Bulb Tester

Postby Jolly O´Leary » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:27 pm

90.6F in the kitchen. Is it too early for Christmas in July movies?? It is not Christmas, but one of hubby´s favorites this time of year is Snowmaggedon. Go figure..........he has a thing for "bad" disaster films.
Jennifer Lundgren
Stockholm, Sweden
Jolly O´Leary
Bulb Tester

Postby Christmas Crazy » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:28 pm

Jolly O´Leary wrote:Went shopping again today. Hubby got a new belt to go with his new pants. He is having a very lucrative Christmas in July. :-)

I love getting new clothes, Christmas time or whenever.
He's a lucky guy!
:D
Christmas Crazy
Sleigh Assistant

Postby Christmas Crazy » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:29 pm

Great retro Christmas images.
http://www.retrochristmasimages.com/
Christmas Crazy
Sleigh Assistant

Postby Noel+ » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:53 am

UPDATE:

Borrowing my sister's phone to update you on my status. I have been advised the general contractor/flooring company will not move furniture in the home. After spending 9 day sboxing up all books, dvds, cds - ya know, 'stuff' - I now must rent a UHaul and movers to store all my furniture until the work is completed. That's all Ill say........just that I am deeply disappointed in my insurance company.

Whatever else this is I know it is a test of faith. So God has control, and whether I like the twists & turns or not, I'm in for a faith ride.

Enjoy Christmas in July: ours is postponed til 2014 God Willing! HUGS to all my CAY friends!

I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year! Charles Dickens
Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Jolly O´Leary » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:32 am

Noel+ wrote:UPDATE:

Borrowing my sister's phone to update you on my status. I have been advised the general contractor/flooring company will not move furniture in the home. After spending 9 day sboxing up all books, dvds, cds - ya know, 'stuff' - I now must rent a UHaul and movers to store all my furniture until the work is completed. That's all Ill say........just that I am deeply disappointed in my insurance company.

Whatever else this is I know it is a test of faith. So God has control, and whether I like the twists & turns or not, I'm in for a faith ride.

Enjoy Christmas in July: ours is postponed til 2014 God Willing! HUGS to all my CAY friends!

Oh so sorry to hear this. Praying for a quick repair job so you can get back into your own house. Try to catch a christmas movie or listen to some tunes to cheer your Christmas soul and we will be thinking of you.
Jennifer Lundgren
Stockholm, Sweden
Jolly O´Leary
Bulb Tester

Postby Jolly O´Leary » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:35 am

Christmas Crazy wrote:
Jolly O´Leary wrote:Went shopping again today. Hubby got a new belt to go with his new pants. He is having a very lucrative Christmas in July. :-)

I love getting new clothes, Christmas time or whenever.
He's a lucky guy!
:D

He has never had anyone "dress" him before. He spent 26 years in the military where he was told how to dress and then has either been unemployed or an IT tech wearing jeans and t shirts. I told him he is only allowed to wear "wife-approved" combinations. Contrary to what I see on tv, I do not believe checked shirts go with striped ties. I need to order him a couple of the canvas style belts he likes to go with his pants. He insists he does not need color co-ordination. I told him he does. Good thing he is too Christmas cute!
Jennifer Lundgren
Stockholm, Sweden
Jolly O´Leary
Bulb Tester

PreviousNext

Return to Holiday Chatter