2013: 2300 Posts til Christmas

The place for Christmas and non-Christmas chatter.

Re: 2013: 2300 Posts til Christmas

Postby Christmas Crazy » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:43 pm

Jolly O'Leary wrote:Happy Monday Christmas friends! Today is my first day of fulltime. I have a turkey question: how long do I need to let a 9 lb turkdy thaw in the fridge? We will eat it on October 12. We have Swedish thanksgiving, american halloween (Oct. 31), then american thanksgiving and then its time for Christmas! Unfortunately, Perky has not yet been summoned to the American embassy for his interview, so I doubt we will make it "home" for Thanksgiving. Our next target date is Spring Break.

I hope you had a wonderful first day of full time work!
I don't know about thawing a turkey. Just not too soon and not too late. I'm not a big help, huh?
:elfgrin:
The season and holidays will be going by quickly. Christmas will be here before we know it.
Christmas Crazy
Sleigh Assistant

Postby Christmas Crazy » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:46 pm

Christmas Crazy
Sleigh Assistant

Postby Noel+ » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:26 am

Hope all my Christmas friends had a great weekend!

My insurance claim isn't completed and last week received a letter notifying us that they cancelled our account. Since its the first claim we've ever filed. we think that must be the reason. I'm fighting it.........and for a premium refund........and looking for insurance anywhere but State Farm!

So we're cutting back on internet for a while. We need a new roof [termites 2 years ago] and the exterior of the house needs painting due to the water damage. It's a frustrating thing to use up all your savings but a house requires maintenance.

Anyway if I'm not at the forum daily that is why. Will keep in touch as much as possible!

I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year! Charles Dickens
Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Christmas Crazy » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:02 am

Christmas Crazy
Sleigh Assistant

Postby Christmas Crazy » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:02 am

Happy October Everyone!!!

Christmas Crazy
Sleigh Assistant

Postby Christmas Crazy » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:38 pm

We are only one month away from Countdown to Christmas on the Hallmark Channel.
Christmas Crazy
Sleigh Assistant

Postby Christmas Crazy » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:42 pm

My in-laws are coming to stay with us for 5 days starting this Friday. They are wonderful people and we always have a great time when they come. They told Michelle that they were bringing a surprise. Maybe an early Christmas present?! Oh I hope so.
:santagifts:
Christmas Crazy
Sleigh Assistant

Postby Noel+ » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:41 pm

ONLY 12 WEDNESDAYS TIL CHRISTMAS!!! :D

I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year! Charles Dickens
Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Noel+ » Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:21 am

Hi Christmas friends

Gotta a 4-day assignment working back-to-back 12s so will be very busy this weekend [Fri-Mon]. Still unboxing items and sorting/discarding to reduce # of 'things' we own.

Waiting for Christmas movies to begin. We all are ready for something new before we start old faves again!

:D

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:46 am

OH, NOel, so sorry to hear about the insurance. It is so frustrating. You would think companies would pay more attention to people with multiple claims as they are more likely to be fraudulent than a customer who pays and pays and then after many years has a claim. I hate to say it, but you might consider consulting a lawyer familiar in insurance matters. It does not sound right for them to cancel you just because you have a claim they do not want to pay. Love you clip art as usual!

My first week of fulltime has been tough. I am the grunt of the department and we are moving personnel over from another building on campus so it has been and will be alot of physical labor. I cannot imagine the attitude of some of these phD students who will let the head of the department, a pregnant woman (my supervisor), and me (middle aged and frumpy) do physical labor while they sit in the kitchen having lunch. But I could write a book on phD students and their attitudes of entitlement.

On to happier things. This is Thanksgiving prep weekend at the Lundgren Familj Lägenhet. We will clean out the fridge, do the heavy weekend chores, and change the kitchen curtains. I have been sick the last two weekends and now hubby has it, but I have no mercy. I told him if we do not have Thanskgiving prep, and he is sick next weekend, I am not cooking. It is tough, but we make ALOT more out of it than the average Swede. To those that do not go to church, it is a word on the calendar. To those that go to church, it is a service with wheat and fruits and veggies on the altar and maybe a craft fair afterwards, and no extra time off. If I keep this job in future years I might try for a bit of time off, but we shall see.

The government shut down has most likely delayed Perky´s Visa so we will probably not be going to the US for Thanskgiving. Another reason I want to have a nice one here. I read up on turkeys it is 24 hours for every 5 lbs in the fridge and it can stay there for a couple of days after dethawing. So I will put it in on Wednesday. However, european fridges are about half the size of a US regular fridge, so we have to make room. Will keep you posted! :rake: :thanks:

Merry friday Christmas!
Jennifer Lundgren
originally from San Antonio, Texas (USA)

LIfe is one Christmas adventure after another.
Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:49 am

Here is a bit of pre-Christmas fun:
http://www.tasteline.com/ReceptSok/tacksägelsedagen

When I put in the swedish word for Thanksgiving, I get some very familiar looking recipes. ;-) More and more they adopt the American thanskgiving meal. We are head of the curve!

If your swedish is not up to snuff, you can translate it with www.google.com/translate.
Jennifer Lundgren

Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:28 am

http://www.ugglemor1.se/Year/thanksgiv-e.htm

A good description of Swedish Thanksgiving from an english language Swedish blog for my Christmas friends!
Jennifer Lundgren

Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

Postby Noel+ » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:33 pm

Jolly O'Leary wrote:OH, NOel, so sorry to hear about the insurance. It is so frustrating. You would think companies would pay more attention to people with multiple claims as they are more likely to be fraudulent than a customer who pays and pays and then after many years has a claim. I hate to say it, but you might consider consulting a lawyer familiar in insurance matters. It does not sound right for them to cancel you just because you have a claim they do not want to pay. Love you clip art as usual!

My first week of fulltime has been tough. I am the grunt of the department and we are moving personnel over from another building on campus so it has been and will be alot of physical labor. I cannot imagine the attitude of some of these phD students who will let the head of the department, a pregnant woman (my supervisor), and me (middle aged and frumpy) do physical labor while they sit in the kitchen having lunch. But I could write a book on phD students and their attitudes of entitlement.

On to happier things. This is Thanksgiving prep weekend at the Lundgren Familj Lägenhet. We will clean out the fridge, do the heavy weekend chores, and change the kitchen curtains. I have been sick the last two weekends and now hubby has it, but I have no mercy. I told him if we do not have Thanskgiving prep, and he is sick next weekend, I am not cooking. It is tough, but we make ALOT more out of it than the average Swede. To those that do not go to church, it is a word on the calendar. To those that go to church, it is a service with wheat and fruits and veggies on the altar and maybe a craft fair afterwards, and no extra time off. If I keep this job in future years I might try for a bit of time off, but we shall see.

The government shut down has most likely delayed Perky´s Visa so we will probably not be going to the US for Thanskgiving. Another reason I want to have a nice one here. I read up on turkeys it is 24 hours for every 5 lbs in the fridge and it can stay there for a couple of days after dethawing. So I will put it in on Wednesday. However, european fridges are about half the size of a US regular fridge, so we have to make room. Will keep you posted! :rake: :thanks:

Merry friday Christmas!

Merry Friday Christmas Jolly!

New jobs are exhausting enough without adding unexpected physical labor to the routine. Hang in there woman! It's worth it for a less stress-filled Thanksgiving and Christmas Day!

So glad you are enjoying Thanksgiving preparations! It's only weeks away now! :D

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Noel+ » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:34 pm

Jolly O'Leary wrote:Here is a bit of pre-Christmas fun:
http://www.tasteline.com/ReceptSok/tacksägelsedagen

When I put in the swedish word for Thanksgiving, I get some very familiar looking recipes. ;-) More and more they adopt the American thanskgiving meal. We are head of the curve!

If your swedish is not up to snuff, you can translate it with http://www.google.com/translate.

That was fun - thanks!

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Noel+ » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:34 pm

Jolly O'Leary wrote:http://www.ugglemor1.se/Year/thanksgiv-e.htm

A good description of Swedish Thanksgiving from an english language Swedish blog for my Christmas friends!

That was so interesting. Thanks Jolly! Have a great weekend! :smilecc:

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:04 am

So far thanksgiving prep is on schedule. I am happy to have a job, but this time of year miss being off to have the week to prepare. I would love to make sweet potato biscuits and pumpkin pie, but it is just not going to happen. I have one can of canned pumpkin left and the fresh ones will have disappeared by christmas. Though we do have butternut year round. We made a butternut squash pie at my volunteer job last year and it was not too bad. I might make one for Christmas. Today we have the big laundromat for bedding (an every other weekend chore), cleaning out the fridge (need to get the turkey in there by wednesday), unearthing the kitchen table, and changing of the curtains in the kitchen. I found a facebook pic I put up last year with nice Canadian thanskgiving placemats..........hm...I wonder where I put them. :think:

This will be another tough week at work. I would much rather be home cooking. :dinner:

:rake: :thanks: :pumpkin:
Jennifer Lundgren

Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

Postby Christmas Crazy » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:02 am

Christmas Crazy
Sleigh Assistant

Postby Pretjah » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:20 am

getting CLOSE

really in a christmas mode today even with all the warm weather.
Pretjah
Toy Maker

Postby Noel+ » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:57 pm

Yes Christmas is very close now!

Last night we watched "One Christmas" on a movie channel. A sad & thoughtful movie.....one I had never seen before. Now its busy Monday! :D

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Christmas Crazy » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:43 pm

Pretjah wrote:getting CLOSE

really in a christmas mode today even with all the warm weather.

Christmas is getting very close. I keep seeing Christmas commercials on TV.
We bought KK a ukulele for Christmas today. She will love it.
Christmas Crazy
Sleigh Assistant

PreviousNext

Return to Holiday Chatter