CHRISTMAS 2015

The place for Christmas and non-Christmas chatter.

Re: CHRISTMAS 2015

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:21 am

I was listening to a cd set on the Mp4 today called The Christmas Crooners. Lots of songs I had never heard before. They even have on called Sleigh Ride in July! I have not listened to that one yet.
Jennifer Lundgren
originally from San Antonio, Texas (USA)

LIfe is one Christmas adventure after another.
Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

Postby CandyKane » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:27 am

We have had some sprinkles this morning and when I went out side their were some huge snowflakes mixed in. It was just a fluke thing and only lasted a minute. It was a neat little reminder of Christmas! :flake: :snowwow: :scene:

“Our hearts grow tender with childhood memories and love of kindred, and we are better throughout the year for having, in spirit, become a child again at Christmastime.”

― Laura Ingalls Wilder
CandyKane
Sleigh Assistant

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:35 am

CandyKane wrote:We have had some sprinkles this morning and when I went out side their were some huge snowflakes mixed in. It was just a fluke thing and only lasted a minute. It was a neat little reminder of Christmas! :flake: :snowwow: :scene:

We are wet and cold. San Antonio winter in Stockholm. LOL We MIGHT have snow for Easter, but I doubt it. Easter should not feel like Christmas. :snowwow:
Jennifer Lundgren

Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

Postby Noel+ » Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:52 pm

CandyKane wrote:We have had some sprinkles this morning and when I went out side their were some huge snowflakes mixed in. It was just a fluke thing and only lasted a minute. It was a neat little reminder of Christmas! :flake: :snowwow: :scene:

:holly1: What a special. Christmasy moment! A little gift of heaven just for you CK! :flake:

I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year! Charles Dickens
Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Noel+ » Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:53 pm

Jolly O'Leary wrote:I was listening to a cd set on the Mp4 today called The Christmas Crooners. Lots of songs I had never heard before. They even have on called Sleigh Ride in July! I have not listened to that one yet.

:holly1: They are new to me too. Think I'll search youtube for their Christmas songs.

:singing:

I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year! Charles Dickens
Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Noel+ » Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:57 pm

Jolly O'Leary wrote:
Noel+ wrote:MERRY FRIDAY CHRISTMAS!!!

Yes we also find we need breaks Gil Christmas in July to truly appreciate the celebrations. Still we listen yo carols freon time to time.
:smilecc:

True. Perky's mother used to put on Christmas music for cleaning so sometimes we do that when the mood strikes. Trying to come up with something interesting for Palm Sunday dinner. For Maundy Thursday we eat "Passover pie"--minced lamb quiche with beets, feta cheese, ruccula, and I throw in some horseradish and you have most of the elements of Passover. (no offense intended to our Jewish friends). Good Friday in Sweden is salmon. Saturday is the big smörgåsbord and Easter Sunday is chicken, yellow rice, eggs, and leftover smörgåsbord. Then you eat leftovers for a week.

anyone else do anything out of the ordinary? (ordinary being the traditional Southern Ham).

Wow your menu sounds delicious! The Passover Pie has me intrigued. We est fish on Good Friday in honor of the miracle of fishes & loaves. And we est a traditional Midwest/southern ham feast on Easter day. You've inspired me yo try something new this year! Thsnks :D

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Christmas Crazy » Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:32 pm

ImageMerry Friday Christmas!!!Image

.............. Only 273 days till Christmas! ..............
Christmas Crazy
Sleigh Assistant

Postby Noel+ » Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:49 pm

Christmas Crazy wrote:ImageMerry Friday Christmas!!!Image

.............. Only 273 days till Christmas! ..............

:holly1: And to you too Christmas Crazy!!! :D

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Noel+ » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:49 am

Wishing all my Christmas friends a blessed Palm Sunday & my Jewish friends a sacred Passover.

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:16 am

http://www.tasteline.com/Recept/Lammfar ... marincreme

Here is the Recipe for our "Passover" pie. It's real name is Minced Lamb Pie with red beets, goat cheese and Rosemary.......now you see why we call it "Passover pie". ;-)
You can translate the recipe with www.google.com/translate for an approximation of the instructions. Depending on where you live, getting minced lamb would probably be the first problem-I did not see a lot of it in Texas, but the basic recipe would probably be good with any minced meat. Not meaning offense to any of our Jewish friends, but it is probably not very kosher as it is with the mixing of lamb and eggs. We call it "Passover pie" because we eat it on Holy Thursday which marks the remembrance of The Last Supper. Without Christmas, we would not have had Easter.
Jennifer Lundgren

Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

Postby Noel+ » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:21 am

Jolly O'Leary wrote:http://www.tasteline.com/Recept/Lammfarspaj_med_rodbetor__getost_och_rosmarincreme

Here is the Recipe for our "Passover" pie. It's real name is Minced Lamb Pie with red beets, goat cheese and Rosemary.......now you see why we call it "Passover pie". ;-)
You can translate the recipe with http://www.google.com/translate for an approximation of the instructions. Depending on where you live, getting minced lamb would probably be the first problem-I did not see a lot of it in Texas, but the basic recipe would probably be good with any minced meat. Not meaning offense to any of our Jewish friends, but it is probably not very kosher as it is with the mixing of lamb and eggs. We call it "Passover pie" because we eat it on Holy Thursday which marks the remembrance of The Last Supper. Without Christmas, we would not have had Easter.

:dinner: Thanks do much Jolly. I definitely am shopping today tor the lamb...or substitute if necessary. We will eat the pie on Good Friday in memory of Christs' bitter suffering on the cross for us. This is a new tradition thanks to you.

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:27 am

I had a most Un Christmas fun experience yesterday. WE got a "nicer dicer" knock off at a local store and used it. It works okay, if it is a knock off after all, but while washing it, I forgot about the "dicer" part and used my finger tips to remove some stubborn onion bits.............not good.............they are only "deep paper cuts" but as I am diabetic and had my hands in hot water at the time, they bled quite a bit and are quite sore today. No Christmas fun! I told Perky he better hoped nothing happens to me or CSI will have fun with all the blood remnants in the kitchen.......
Jennifer Lundgren

Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:32 am

Noel+ wrote:
Jolly O'Leary wrote:http://www.tasteline.com/Recept/Lammfarspaj_med_rodbetor__getost_och_rosmarincreme

You can translate the recipe with http://www.google.com/translate for an approximation of the instructions. Depending on where you live, getting minced lamb would probably be the first problem-I did not see a lot of it in Texas, but the basic recipe would probably be good with any minced meat. Not meaning offense to any of our Jewish friends, but it is probably not very kosher as it is with the mixing of lamb and eggs. We call it "Passover pie" because we eat it on Holy Thursday which marks the remembrance of The Last Supper. Without Christmas, we would not have had Easter.

:dinner: Thanks do much Jolly. I definitely am shopping today tor the lamb...or substitute if necessary. We will eat the pie on Good Friday in memory of Christs' bitter suffering on the cross for us. This is a new tradition thanks to you.

We add horse radish for "bitter tears". We say that the beets represent spilled blood, the greens, bitter herbs, the mince, his broken body, and the eggs look toward the resurrection. WE usually just use bake off bread to go with it, but I think I might get Naan bread from the Arabic grocery for that middle eastern feel. You could also incorporate some "bitter herbs" and oil and vinegar dressing in a side salad and hold back the desserts until Easter. Not sure where the salmon tradition comes from, could be a remnant of fish on Friday, but that was never big in Sweden or just something not ham or chicken.....Lenten fasting is mostly non existent here. those that do are usually immigrants. Easter traditions are as much fun as Christmas traditions!
Jennifer Lundgren

Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:34 am

if your Easter food budget allows, veal might be a reasonable substitute as it is also a young animal..?? Sometimes we have to use your Christmas imaginations.
Jennifer Lundgren

Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

Postby Noel+ » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:55 am

Jolly O'Leary wrote:if your Easter food budget allows, veal might be a reasonable substitute as it is also a young animal..?? Sometimes we have to use your Christmas imaginations.

:holly1: Those are good suggestions Jolly. We were commenting on the meaning of your ingredients & appreciate your post above outlining them. Since experiencing a true Passovver years ago led by a Rabbi (to teach Christians about the items/meanings in Jewish culture) a bitter herb salad is a must.

Our Christmas imaginations make celebrating Easter s richer experience. :D

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:16 am

Noel+ wrote:
Jolly O'Leary wrote:if your Easter food budget allows, veal might be a reasonable substitute as it is also a young animal..?? Sometimes we have to use your Christmas imaginations.

:holly1: Those are good suggestions Jolly. We were commenting on the meaning of your ingredients & appreciate your post above outlining them. Since experiencing a true Passovver years ago led by a Rabbi (to teach Christians about the items/meanings in Jewish culture) a bitter herb salad is a must.

Our Christmas imaginations make celebrating Easter s richer experience. :D

alternatively, you could use dates, grapes, or figs for a simple dessert. :dinner: Here you can buy whole bits of horseradish and you could "shave" some onto the salad. We used it for making Bookmaker toast. Like Christmas, Easter is in the heart.
Jennifer Lundgren

Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

Postby Christmas Crazy » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:53 pm

Jolly O'Leary wrote:I had a most Un Christmas fun experience yesterday. WE got a "nicer dicer" knock off at a local store and used it. It works okay, if it is a knock off after all, but while washing it, I forgot about the "dicer" part and used my finger tips to remove some stubborn onion bits.............not good.............they are only "deep paper cuts" but as I am diabetic and had my hands in hot water at the time, they bled quite a bit and are quite sore today. No Christmas fun! I told Perky he better hoped nothing happens to me or CSI will have fun with all the blood remnants in the kitchen.......

Ouch! No Christmas fun! Image
Christmas Crazy
Sleigh Assistant

Postby CandyKane » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:10 pm

We're enjoying a beautiful sunshiny day here. I've been working outside all morning and even set some of my house plants outside to soak up some sun. :D I need to get my hummingbird feeders ready.
We had such a nice weekend. Love all the family time. It keeps the Christmas Spirit alive all year long. :holly1:

“Our hearts grow tender with childhood memories and love of kindred, and we are better throughout the year for having, in spirit, become a child again at Christmastime.”

― Laura Ingalls Wilder
CandyKane
Sleigh Assistant

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:14 pm

CandyKane wrote:We're enjoying a beautiful sunshiny day here. I've been working outside all morning and even set some of my house plants outside to soak up some sun. :D I need to get my hummingbird feeders ready.
We had such a nice weekend. Love all the family time. It keeps the Christmas Spirit alive all year long. :holly1:

"San Antonio Winter" here. 37.2F and wet. We might have a White Easter after all! Just like Christmas! :snowwow:
Jennifer Lundgren

Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

Postby Noel+ » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:18 pm

CandyKane wrote:We're enjoying a beautiful sunshiny day here. I've been working outside all morning and even set some of my house plants outside to soak up some sun. :D I need to get my hummingbird feeders ready.

:holly1: So glad you're enjoying the Spring weather CK.

Here we're 20 degrees above normal. We missed 100 by 1 degree yesterday. 8-)

I kept singing let it snow & Christmas rhymes. :snowwow:

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

PreviousNext

Return to Holiday Chatter