CHRISTMAS 2015

The place for Christmas and non-Christmas chatter.

Re: CHRISTMAS 2015

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:01 am

My first Easter in Sweden we went to midnight mass in the snow. I thought what in the world am I going to WEAR?? EASTER? in winter? at midnight? like Christmas? (not my family's tradition....) It was actually a beautiful service, started in darkness then gradually turned to light. That was at the district church (think arch diocese). Our local church has a 7 am "påskotta" which is like a sunrise service, but the sun has been up for several hours (North Pole remember?). Over the years we have found it easier to get up at the crack of dawn than try to stay up until time to go to Midnight mass. Like Santa, we are getting old.
Jennifer Lundgren
originally from San Antonio, Texas (USA)

LIfe is one Christmas adventure after another.
Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

Postby Noel+ » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:08 am

Jolly O'Leary wrote:My first Easter in Sweden we went to midnight mass in the snow. I thought what in the world am I going to WEAR?? EASTER? in winter? at midnight? like Christmas? (not my family's tradition....) It was actually a beautiful service, started in darkness then gradually turned to light. That was at the district church (think arch diocese). Our local church has a 7 am "påskotta" which is like a sunrise service, but the sun has been up for several hours (North Pole remember?). Over the years we have found it easier to get up at the crack of dawn than try to stay up until time to go to Midnight mass. Like Santa, we are getting old.

:holly1: Sunrise Easter service is my 2nd favorite of the year with Christmas Eve being my favorite. Its usually hot & sunny here. I prefer the cool-cold Midwest misty mornings. As we close Christmas Eve at 1am & the moon giving birth a new day (& baby Jesus) so arbegin Easter day in rebirth (resurrection day). It always touched my heart very deeply!

I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year! Charles Dickens
Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:20 am

Noel+ wrote:
Jolly O'Leary wrote:My first Easter in Sweden we went to midnight mass in the snow. I thought what in the world am I going to WEAR?? EASTER? in winter? at midnight? like Christmas? (not my family's tradition....) It was actually a beautiful service, started in darkness then gradually turned to light. That was at the district church (think arch diocese). Our local church has a 7 am "påskotta" which is like a sunrise service, but the sun has been up for several hours (North Pole remember?). Over the years we have found it easier to get up at the crack of dawn than try to stay up until time to go to Midnight mass. Like Santa, we are getting old.

:holly1: Sunrise Easter service is my 2nd favorite of the year with Christmas Eve being my favorite. Its usually jot & sunny here. I prefer the cool-cold Midwest misty mornings. As we close Christmas Eve at 1am & the moon giving birth yo a new day (& baby Jesus) so ar begin Easter day in rebirth (resurrection day). It always touched my heart very deeply!

I never thought of that. In Sweden, we have a Julotta (Christmas early service) like at easter and because of the staying up late, we started going to the early morning service. We then have breakfast at church and then go home and crash. We fix Easter/Christmas dinner whenever we wake up. For two of us, it's not that big of a deal, but we are hoping to have friends with us this Christmas.
Jennifer Lundgren

Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

Postby Noel+ » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:30 am

APRIL Fools Day.......let your inner Christmas elf shine! :elfgrin:

I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year! Charles Dickens
Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:44 am

Today I am reminded of my grandmother who while I was growing up would call me on the morning of every April 1st so I did not fall for any April fools jokes. I always thought she called all the grandkids on that day, but learned last year that I seem (and perhaps my brother) to have been the only one. I know she did this through high school and possibly through college too. Memories almost as good as Christmas.
Jennifer Lundgren

Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

Postby Noel+ » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:04 am

Jolly O'Leary wrote:Today I am reminded of my grandmother who while I was growing up would call me on the morning of every April 1st so I did not fall for any April fools jokes. I always thought she called all the grandkids on that day, but learned last year that I seem (and perhaps my brother) to have been the only one. I know she did this through high school and possibly through college too. Memories almost as good as Christmas.

Indeed beautiful family memories Jolly. Your Gramma sounds like she knew which grandiose the elves eould tease on April 1st. :think:

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:08 am

I'm dreaming of a White Christmas................er............Easter.............!

snow today, not sure it will stick though. trying to psyche myself up to do my US taxes which is no Christmas fun!
Jennifer Lundgren

Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

Postby Noel+ » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:40 am

Jolly O'Leary wrote:I'm dreaming of a White Christmas................er............Easter.............!

snow today, not sure it will stick though. trying to psyche myself up to do my US taxes which is no Christmas fun!

:flake: Atleast the snow reminds you of beautiful Christmas while you tackle the ugly tax job!

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Noel+ » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:43 am

MAUDY Thursday means baking day. Its a Midwest tradition to make & deliver a baker's dozen of hot cross buns yo friends. The blessing means you'll be friends tip next year. To me the real blessing is in surprising friends.....just like Christmas!

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby CandyKane » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:19 am

Noel+ wrote:MAUDY Thursday means baking day. Its a Midwest tradition to make & deliver a baker's dozen of hot cross buns yo friends. The blessing means you'll be friends tip next year. To me the real blessing is in surprising friends.....just like Christmas!

What a lovely tradition! My dd learned a song in her music class about hot cross buns. We hadn't heard of them until then. I love how a few miles in the US can make a world of difference in traditions. :holly1:

“Our hearts grow tender with childhood memories and love of kindred, and we are better throughout the year for having, in spirit, become a child again at Christmastime.”

― Laura Ingalls Wilder
CandyKane
Sleigh Assistant

Postby CandyKane » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:22 am

We have a chance for some severe weather later this afternoon so I thought I'd get out early and go to the garden center. Some of my plants have outgrown their hanging baskets so I need to repot them. I also made a huge meatloaf last night and I think I'll take my Dad the leftovers for his lunch. Have a great Thursday Christmas friends! :smilecc:

“Our hearts grow tender with childhood memories and love of kindred, and we are better throughout the year for having, in spirit, become a child again at Christmastime.”

― Laura Ingalls Wilder
CandyKane
Sleigh Assistant

Postby Noel+ » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:22 am

CandyKane wrote:
Noel+ wrote:MAUDY Thursday means baking day. Its a Midwest tradition to make & deliver a baker's dozen of hot cross buns yo friends. The blessing means you'll be friends tip next year. To me the real blessing is in surprising friends.....just like Christmas!

What a lovely tradition! My dd learned a song in her music class about hot cross buns. We hadn't heard of them until then. I love how a few miles in the US can make a world of difference in traditions. :holly1:

Yes I too love local traditions in America. And at Christmas I always learn new ones. :D

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:31 am

Went out for kebab last night Before doing the easter shopping. I am unsure why, but the owner brought us 4 fresh pieces of bread on a plate.....maybe he Heard us talking about picking up naan bread from the arabic grocery..........it made it feel like Christmas!

Having the bread with the lamb quiche and salad.

Noel, were you able to find minced lamb?
Jennifer Lundgren

Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

Postby ksrjreed » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:23 pm

The wife is out today shopping, we are trying to get ready for a birthday party and Easter this weekend and it is showing to be quite an undertaking. I told the Mrs. that as a good husband I will tend to the house today so she could go out and get what shopping done that needed to be done, so here I am taking a quick break from cleaning to say Merry Christmas and Happy Easter in the same post, might as well, I am listening to Christmas music while cleaning the house. :smilecc:

Some men are Baptists, others Catholics; my father was an Oldsmobile man.
ksrjreed
Bow Maker

Location: Helping the Old Man Change a Tire,,,,,,,OH FUDGE!!!

Postby Noel+ » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:03 pm

Jolly O'Leary wrote:Went out for kebab last night Before doing the easter shopping. I am unsure why, but the owner brought us 4 fresh pieces of bread on a plate.....maybe he Heard us talking about picking up naan bread from the arabic grocery..........it made it feel like Christmas!

Yes Jolly I found minced lamb at a kosher nest shop! Hoping my pus woes the family tomorrow night after service. It reminds me of the first Christmas turkey!

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Noel+ » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:05 pm

ksrjreed wrote:The wife is out today shopping, we are trying to get ready for a birthday party and Easter this weekend and it is showing to be quite an undertaking. I told the Mrs. that as a good husband I will tend to the house today so she could go out and get what shopping done that needed to be done, so here I am taking a quick break from cleaning to say Merry Christmas and Happy Easter in the same post, might as well, I am listening to Christmas music while cleaning the house. :smilecc:

:holly1: Merry Christmas & Happy Easter to hour family! We've missed you at CSY' :D

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:55 pm

ksrjreed wrote:The wife is out today shopping, we are trying to get ready for a birthday party and Easter this weekend and it is showing to be quite an undertaking. I told the Mrs. that as a good husband I will tend to the house today so she could go out and get what shopping done that needed to be done, so here I am taking a quick break from cleaning to say Merry Christmas and Happy Easter in the same post, might as well, I am listening to Christmas music while cleaning the house. :smilecc:

We often put on Christmas Music while cleaning and you are a most excellent husband! Hubby says his mother used to Clean to Christmas tunes. Had a nice chuch service this evening, looking forward to the rest of the Days of Easter break. Here at the North Pole, thursday-monday are work holidays. In the old Days, the stores used to Close on wednesday night and not open again until tuesday morning so you had to Think of Everything. Now they are open some part of every day. Sometimes we still play the "game" and only use the arabic grocery in case of dire emergency. :dinner: :shop:
Jennifer Lundgren

Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

Postby CandyKane » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:16 am

Good to see you Ksrjreed! Listening to Christmas music makes every job better! :carollers:

― Laura Ingalls Wilder
CandyKane
Sleigh Assistant

Postby CandyKane » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:19 am

We're enjoying a gorgeous Spring morning before more storms roll in this afternoon. Hope they don't get here before school is out.

Wishing all my Christmas friends a very safe and Happy Easter weekend. :ornwave:

― Laura Ingalls Wilder
CandyKane
Sleigh Assistant

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:54 am

Noel+ wrote:
Jolly O'Leary wrote:Went out for kebab last night Before doing the easter shopping. I am unsure why, but the owner brought us 4 fresh pieces of bread on a plate.....maybe he Heard us talking about picking up naan bread from the arabic grocery..........it made it feel like Christmas!

Yes Jolly I found minced lamb at a kosher nest shop! Hoping my pus woes the family tomorrow night after service. It reminds me of the first Christmas turkey!

hope it turns out well. Forgot to tell you, the beets "run" a bit, but that just adds to the symbolism. We also used store bought tsatziki sauce instead of making the Rosemary Cream, them I added garlic powder, horseradish and fresh Rosemary to it. I have also added ruccula to the pie in the past but forgot to buy it this year. We got a grape mix for dessert. Had leftovers for lunch today. :dinner:

Glad Påsk to all my Christmas friends!
Jennifer Lundgren

Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

PreviousNext

Return to Holiday Chatter