CHRISTMAS 2015

The place for Christmas and non-Christmas chatter.

Re: CHRISTMAS 2015

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:29 am

The turkey is not nearly thawed, so Thanskgiving dinner will be tomorrow. Today is then designated as "prep" day and we will have our Swedish Father's Day dinner today instead. After "thanksgiving" then we can start decorating for Christmas. Downside, no Macy's parade. I have a couple recorded from previous years, might have to put one on. It does bring up the question of when do our Canadian friends decorate since their thanksgiving is also earlier in the fall. I noticed that after Halloween, the mall brought out their decorations and stores are starting to play Christmas Music. A few years ago we started having the American dinner on Swedish thanksgiving day (Perky was away this year) so we used November as a Pre-Advent to decorate slowly and still be ready for First Advent (first Sunday of Advent) which is a very big deal in Sweden. Almost as big a deal as Christmas itself. :scene: :peekleaves2: :thanks:
Jennifer Lundgren
originally from San Antonio, Texas (USA)

LIfe is one Christmas adventure after another.
Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:32 am

:elfgrin: :scene: I was telling Perky that having American Thanksgiving sometime other than the fourth Thursday of November is actually more historically accurate. Prior to the Civil War "Thanksgiving " was celebrated just "this time of year" with no specified day or federal holiday, like the Swedish "höstfest" or "skördefest" (Fall Festival and Harvest Fest respectively). Like Christmas, Thanksgiving is in the heart and does not need a specified day to celebrate it. :thanks:
Jennifer Lundgren

Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

Postby Noel+ » Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:40 am

mistletoe misfit wrote:Happy Saturday Christmas friends! Almost 7 am here. I am enjoying a coffee while listening to Christmas music. Another Saturday brings us a busy day with basketball for our youngest and hockey for our middle. I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend. :holly1:

Happy weekend MM & all my Christmas friends. We too have a busy day of kiddo activities; church tonight & laundry for me. Late night I plan on watching Hallmark movies & munching on a fee pretels.
:D

I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year! Charles Dickens
Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Noel+ » Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:47 am

Jolly O'Leary wrote::elfgrin: :scene: I was telling Perky that having American Thanksgiving sometime other than the fourth Thursday of November is actually more historically accurate. Prior to the Civil War "Thanksgiving " was celebrated just "this time of year" with no specified day or federal holiday, like the Swedish "höstfest" or "skördefest" (Fall Festival and Harvest Fest respectively). Like Christmas, Thanksgiving is in the heart and does not need a specified day to celebrate it. :thanks:

That is true Jolly. The holiday used yo be the fourth Thursday of November but that meant the date fluctuated yearly. To make it a federal holiday they legislated a specific date.

To me ... like Christmas... it id a holiday of the heart. Sadly to many it is synonamous only with over-eating & football games. Our gratitude has waned some.

I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year! Charles Dickens
Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Noel+ » Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:32 pm

Anyone else watching Ice Sculpture Christmas movie on Hallmark now?

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:19 am

Noel+ wrote:Anyone else watching Ice Sculpture Christmas movie on Hallmark now?

Hoping it comes to Feeln this Christmas Season. Let me know if there are any new Thanksgiving titles. I saw Harvest Moon and something similar. Have not watched October Kiss yet.
Jennifer Lundgren

Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

Postby Noel+ » Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:57 am

Jolly O'Leary wrote:

Hoping it comes to Feeln this Christmas Season. Let me know if there are any new Thanksgiving titles. I saw Harvest Moon and something similar. Have not watched October Kiss yet.

Jolly they advertised last night there are 5 new movies for Thanksgiving! One stars a fave of mine: Candace Cameron Bure. Hope we don't miss them. I also liked Love at the Thanksgiving Day parade last year with Autumn Reeser. Feeln should have that title for you to want h. Enjoy. :D

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Noel+ » Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:00 am

Good morning Christmas friends. Insomnia keeping up this cheerful elf. A little hot cocoa. & Christmas tunes make 2:30am jolly. :smilecc:

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby mistletoe misfit » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:37 am

Jolly O'Leary wrote:The turkey is not nearly thawed, so Thanskgiving dinner will be tomorrow. Today is then designated as "prep" day and we will have our Swedish Father's Day dinner today instead. After "thanksgiving" then we can start decorating for Christmas. Downside, no Macy's parade. I have a couple recorded from previous years, might have to put one on. It does bring up the question of when do our Canadian friends decorate since their thanksgiving is also earlier in the fall. I noticed that after Halloween, the mall brought out their decorations and stores are starting to play Christmas Music. A few years ago we started having the American dinner on Swedish thanksgiving day (Perky was away this year) so we used November as a Pre-Advent to decorate slowly and still be ready for First Advent (first Sunday of Advent) which is a very big deal in Sweden. Almost as big a deal as Christmas itself. :scene: :peekleaves2: :thanks:

Good morning Jolly! I hope you enjoy your turkey today. I just love turkey!
I always decorate at the beginning of October for fall/Thanksgiving and Halloween. It's the perfect time here , the fall mums are out and the pumpkins. Then November 1st I take most down and begin Decorating for Christmas.
mistletoe misfit
Head Baker

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:07 am

Noel+ wrote:
Jolly O'Leary wrote:

Jolly they advertised last night there are 5 new movies for Thanksgiving! One stars a fave of mine: Candace Cameron Bure. Hope we don't miss them. I also liked Love at the Thanksgiving Day parade last year with Autumn Reeser. Feeln should have that title for you to want h. Enjoy. :D

I have seen Love at the Thanskgiving Parade and it is cute. Might Watch that later tonight since there is no Macy's Parade to Watch. The turkey is in the oven and the table is set. We are watching Plymouth Adventure in lieu of the parade. Perky was bemoaning the lack of American football to Watch. I told him he could probably find a soccer game on tv. Having a turkey in the oven makes it smell like Christmas! :dinner: :thanks:
Jennifer Lundgren

Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:12 am

mistletoe misfit wrote:
Jolly O'Leary wrote:The turkey is not nearly thawed, so Thanskgiving dinner will be tomorrow. Today is then designated as "prep" day and we will have our Swedish Father's Day dinner today instead. After "thanksgiving" then we can start decorating for Christmas. Downside, no Macy's parade. I have a couple recorded from previous years, might have to put one on. It does bring up the question of when do our Canadian friends decorate since their thanksgiving is also earlier in the fall. I noticed that after Halloween, the mall brought out their decorations and stores are starting to play Christmas Music. A few years ago we started having the American dinner on Swedish thanksgiving day (Perky was away this year) so we used November as a Pre-Advent to decorate slowly and still be ready for First Advent (first Sunday of Advent) which is a very big deal in Sweden. Almost as big a deal as Christmas itself. :scene: :peekleaves2: :thanks:

Good morning Jolly! I hope you enjoy your turkey today. I just love turkey!
I always decorate at the beginning of October for fall/Thanksgiving and Halloween. It's the perfect time here , the fall mums are out and the pumpkins. Then November 1st I take most down and begin Decorating for Christmas.

Are you our resident Canadian Christmas friend? I was wondering when they start decorating for Christmas. We have the same problem in Sweden. The "official" beginning is First Advent, with the changing of the linens, candlesticks and Christams stars coming out. Then according to Perky, a bit more for Lucia, 13 December, and a bit more with the finale being the Christmas tree going up on 23 December. We bring out the fall decorations in 'September when the heat backs off and my work lets up a bit. By now, I am ready to take it down and start putting up Christmas, but "thanksgiving" was a bit delayed. We usually celebrate on the Swedish day in October. I told Perky, if we had been blessed with Children, they would be as confused as other Swedes about the difference between Halloween and Thanksgiving. :elfgrin:
Jennifer Lundgren

Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

Postby Noel+ » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:12 am

Jolly O'Leary wrote:
Noel+ wrote:
Jolly O'Leary wrote:

I have seen Love at the Thanskgiving Parade and it is cute. Might Watch that later tonight since there is no Macy's Parade to Watch. The turkey is in the oven and the table is set. We are watching Plymouth Adventure in lieu of the parade. Perky was bemoaning the lack of American football to Watch. I told him he could probably find a soccer game on tv. Having a turkey in the oven makes it smell like Christmas! :dinner: :thanks:

Jolly I remember the picture of your beautifully set Thanksgiving table from 2013. Your Thanksgiving China is gorgeous. I always dreamed of both Thanksgiving & Christmas China. Ah well...one can always dream. Enjoy your yummy meal my friend. :dinner:

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Noel+ » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:14 am

Christmas friends Mrs Claus updated the board and the PM is functioning again. Thanks Mrs C! :smilecc:

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:42 am

Noel, the table looks the same as in the pic you remember. Our new table is rectangle, but even with the circular table cloth we made ourselves you cannot tell. It looks great. The Thanksgiving "china" is by Churchill, not sure if it is real bone china or not. I got it off ebay for $80 in 2007/8 Before I came to the North Pole. We have Christmas dishes too, but they came from Walmart. You can get good looking sets now for around $10-20. I also have $100 melamine pumpkin dishes we use for every day in October/November. I got them off ebay from the US for an outrageous price, but am glad I did every year we bring them out. Money is relative to enjoyment. I have a set of Santa melamine we bring out for everyday for the Christmas season. They came from the UK and were not AS expensive as the pumpkin plates, but add joy to the Christmas season.
Jennifer Lundgren

Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

Postby Noel+ » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:45 am

Happy Birthday ksrjreed!!

Wishing you a day filled with love, joy, wonderful surprises and great new memories with friends & family!

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Noel+ » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:49 am

Jolly O'Leary wrote:Noel, the table looks the same as in the pic you remember. Our new table is rectangle, but even with the circular table cloth we made ourselves you cannot tell. It looks great. The Thanksgiving "china" is by Churchill, not sure if it is real bone china or not. I got it off ebay for $80 in 2007/8 Before I came to the North Pole. We have Christmas dishes too, but they came from Walmart. You can get good looking sets now for around $10-20. I also have $100 melamine pumpkin dishes we use for every day in October/November. I got them off ebay from the US for an outrageous price, but am glad I did every year we bring them out. Money is relative to enjoyment. I have a set of Santa melamine we bring out for everyday for the Christmas season. They came from the UK and were not AS expensive as the pumpkin plates, but add joy to the Christmas season.

It's near impossible to find melamine here in the southwest. I have never used Ebay - :oops: old fashioned of me I know. I did check Walmart this year for a Turkeyd ish but they did not stock any. Only part of the Christmas items are on display at stores here but I will check again for a Christmas set. I admit I am a bit picky.......I either like whimsical or elegant. My DH does not get the idea of dishes at all . You dress up a table in true holiday spirit Jolly!

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:47 am

Noel,

When Perky posts the pics, I'll send you some in email. I don't have a PhotoBucket account, so cannot post to CAY directly. Hm....I could post to the facebook page....that would be too Christmas fun. My Christmas plates are pretty simple, just with a Holly border. You might check www.walmart.com to see if they will deliver to your area, or an area store. It has been a few years. The major grocery chain in Texas also usually has "breakable" holiday plates for $10-20 for a service of 4. Perky loves all the seasons too, he is truly my Christmas soulmate. For Easter season, we have melamine Rooster plates as the Swedish easter motif is chickens. The type you see in many kitchen motifs so that makes it easy to collect stuff. We just bring it out for Easter. I am looking for som "lobster" themed appetizer plates for New Year's. So far, no luck, but it's fun to keep looking. Found some fish shaped plates when we moved, and I said "all the time I was looking for "fishy" appetizer plates for New Year's and you never mentioned these?? LOL Sometimes moving is like Christmas.....
Jennifer Lundgren

Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:52 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKbMq3d ... f&index=63

Found a clip of the Macy's 1935 Thanksgiving Parade on YouTube. Gotta have a Little parade on Thanksgiving. Then it's Christmas!
Jennifer Lundgren

Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:07 pm

Noel,

Thanksgiving pics sent to your email. Now the Christmas season can officially begin! :snowwow: :scene: :gbhouse:
Jennifer Lundgren

Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

Postby Noel+ » Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:06 pm

Jolly O'Leary wrote:Noel,

Thanksgiving pics sent to your email. Now the Christmas season can officially begin! :snowwow: :scene: :gbhouse:

THANK YOU! Christmas friend. :scene:

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

PreviousNext

Return to Holiday Chatter