CHRISTMAS 2015

The place for Christmas and non-Christmas chatter.

Re: CHRISTMAS 2015

Postby CandyKane » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:04 pm

Noel+ wrote:Christmas friends Mrs Claus updated the board and the PM is functioning again. Thanks Mrs C! :smilecc:

Thanks for helping keep our Christmas home running smoothly Noel. :ornwave:

“Our hearts grow tender with childhood memories and love of kindred, and we are better throughout the year for having, in spirit, become a child again at Christmastime.”

― Laura Ingalls Wilder
CandyKane
Sleigh Assistant

Postby CandyKane » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:05 pm

:hbd: Happy Birthday Ksrjreed! Hope it's been a great one Christmas friend.

“Our hearts grow tender with childhood memories and love of kindred, and we are better throughout the year for having, in spirit, become a child again at Christmastime.”

― Laura Ingalls Wilder
CandyKane
Sleigh Assistant

Postby CandyKane » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:07 pm

I stopped by the post office and picked up 3 books of Charlie Brown Christmas stamps. They are too cute. I think the postal service will have a very bright holiday season thanks to the Peanuts gang. :smilecc:

― Laura Ingalls Wilder
CandyKane
Sleigh Assistant

Postby CandyKane » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:10 pm

Have you bought your Thanksgiving turkey yet? I haven't and the grocers have issued a warning of a shortage of turkeys this year thanks to the avian flu. Think I'll go shopping early. I might just stock up on what I need for Christmas dinner while I'm at it. :thanks:

― Laura Ingalls Wilder
CandyKane
Sleigh Assistant

Postby Noel+ » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:43 pm

CandyKane wrote:I stopped by the post office and picked up 3 books of Charlie Brown Christmas stamps. They are too cute. I think the postal service will have a very bright holiday season thanks to the Peanuts gang. :smilecc:

I do too CK. Tuesday I hope to get at least 1 more book. Peanuts at Christmas is perfect. :D

I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year! Charles Dickens
Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Noel+ » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:46 pm

CandyKane wrote:Have you bought your Thanksgiving turkey yet? I haven't and the grocers have issued a warning of a shortage of turkeys this year thanks to the avian flu. Think I'll go shopping early. I might just stock up on what I need for Christmas dinner while I'm at it. :thanks:

I order fried turkey breasts for Thanksgiving. Our bird & Ham are ordered for Christmas. I always grocery shop for both days in early November. Otherwise I can't find what we love later in the season.

I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year! Charles Dickens
Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:54 am

CandyKane wrote:Have you bought your Thanksgiving turkey yet? I haven't and the grocers have issued a warning of a shortage of turkeys this year thanks to the avian flu. Think I'll go shopping early. I might just stock up on what I need for Christmas dinner while I'm at it. :thanks:

Perky asked me when we bought the turkey we cooked yesterday. I think it was during the summer when we ran into a "sale". When I was first at the North Pole, they were rare and expensive, now they are more common and "reasonable". We were saving it for Christmas because we had invited friends. But since they are not coming, I wanted to cook it early so that Christmas Day could be more relaxed. We will either have just a single breast or have talked about cooking a "Murkey" in post WWII fashion for the fun of it.
Jennifer Lundgren
originally from San Antonio, Texas (USA)

LIfe is one Christmas adventure after another.
Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:00 am

Noel+ wrote:

I order fried turkey breasts for Thanksgiving. Our bird & Ham are ordered for Christmas. I always grocery shop for both days in early November. Otherwise I can't find what we love later in the season.

I would shop ahead for all but the fresh stuff and then run in very early in the morning on Wednesday for the fresh stuff. Even bread and milk came from a convenience store that week. Shopping for holiday dinners at the last minute is no Christmas fun. :scene:
Jennifer Lundgren

Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:01 am

Continuing the Thanksgiving traditions of working the next day (blah), and having leftover sandwiches for dinner (yay!). For most of my working life, I was the only one who had to go to work the day after Thanksgiving. In one department, we would bring leftovers from our Thanksgiving dinners which was almost as much fun as Christmas since each family has their own twists on things.
Jennifer Lundgren

Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:52 am

http://www.iamareader.com/2014/11/chris ... treat.html

Have to try this! Maybe for Christmas dinner.
Jennifer Lundgren

Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

Postby mistletoe misfit » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:28 am

Jolly O'Leary wrote:
mistletoe misfit wrote:
Jolly O'Leary wrote:The turkey is not nearly thawed, so Thanskgiving dinner will be tomorrow. Today is then designated as "prep" day and we will have our Swedish Father's Day dinner today instead. After "thanksgiving" then we can start decorating for Christmas. Downside, no Macy's parade. I have a couple recorded from previous years, might have to put one on. It does bring up the question of when do our Canadian friends decorate since their thanksgiving is also earlier in the fall. I noticed that after Halloween, the mall brought out their decorations and stores are starting to play Christmas Music. A few years ago we started having the American dinner on Swedish thanksgiving day (Perky was away this year) so we used November as a Pre-Advent to decorate slowly and still be ready for First Advent (first Sunday of Advent) which is a very big deal in Sweden. Almost as big a deal as Christmas itself. :scene: :peekleaves2: :thanks:

Good morning Jolly! I hope you enjoy your turkey today. I just love turkey!
I always decorate at the beginning of October for fall/Thanksgiving and Halloween. It's the perfect time here , the fall mums are out and the pumpkins. Then November 1st I take most down and begin Decorating for Christmas.

Are you our resident Canadian Christmas friend? I was wondering when they start decorating for Christmas. We have the same problem in Sweden. The "official" beginning is First Advent, with the changing of the linens, candlesticks and Christams stars coming out. Then according to Perky, a bit more for Lucia, 13 December, and a bit more with the finale being the Christmas tree going up on 23 December. We bring out the fall decorations in 'September when the heat backs off and my work lets up a bit. By now, I am ready to take it down and start putting up Christmas, but "thanksgiving" was a bit delayed. We usually celebrate on the Swedish day in October. I told Perky, if we had been blessed with Children, they would be as confused as other Swedes about the difference between Halloween and Thanksgiving. :elfgrin:

Yes, born ,raised and lived herein Ontario, Canada my entire life. Some people like to decorate for Christmas as early in November as I. Others wait until later in the month. Our children don't really get confused with fall and thanksgiving and Halloween being all decorated within the same month. I guess because that's all they have ever known. Fall is a great time here. We live in apple country and there are so many different types to choose from come in September. And that just leads into the pumpkin/squash season. We live in the country so we enjoy lots of fresh fa produce during the summer and fall. We are lucky to be living where we are with such wonderful farms nearby. We have actually been talking about getting some Laying hens in the spring. Well the girls and I planning it and my sweet hubby thinking about it. Lol
mistletoe misfit
Head Baker

Postby Noel+ » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:00 am

Jolly O'Leary wrote:Continuing the Thanksgiving traditions of working the next day (blah), and having leftover sandwiches for dinner (yay!). For most of my working life, I was the only one who had to go to work the day after Thanksgiving. In one department, we would bring leftovers from our Thanksgiving dinners which was almost as much fun as Christmas since each family has their own twists on things.

My experience is exactly the same! Nurses don't get holidays off. And leftovers make the best meals. I learned to love Swedish meatballs; Swiss fondue; Mexican tamales; Texas chili & Pringles at our multi-cultural day after work lunches. Then we did the same thing at Christmas. :D :D :D

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Christmas Crazy » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:01 am

Good morning Christmas friends! We had a busy weekend, so I wasn't able to be here at CAY. I just read thru the last 40 posts and you all have been very busy too. Michelle had a bad cold and my oldest son came home for the weekend. We had a lot fun playing games, repairing the fence and burning trash.
Today, it's back to work.
Christmas Crazy
Sleigh Assistant

Postby Noel+ » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:04 am

MM THANKS for sharing your background & Canadian celebrations with us. Very interesting! :D And laying hens produce awesome eggs daily. Living in the country -- to me -- is the best possible lifestyle. And the Christmas scenery is stunning! :snowwow:

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:25 am

Mistletoe Misfit,
My aunt and uncle live inside the city of San Antonio, Texas, and there you are allowed to keep a small number of laying hens. They have had them about a year now. They love them and all the eggs they give. My aunt says the hens themselves will never be Christmas dinner, but live out their post laying years in happy "retirement". :dinner:
My cousin's son has, however, not quite figured out that the chicken that he gets from the grocery store in the package is the same as the "girls" in the yard. :think:
Jennifer Lundgren

Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

Postby Noel+ » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:35 am

Christmas Crazy wrote:Good morning Christmas friends! We had a busy weekend, so I wasn't able to be here at CAY. I just read thru the last 40 posts and you all have been very busy too. Michelle had a bad cold and my oldest son came home for the weekend. We had a lot fun playing games, repairing the fence and burning trash.
Today, it's back to work.

CC you were missed. Sure hope Michell's is feeling better today. So glad you had time bonding with your son and had fun times together. Autumn is a perfect time to deepen family bonds before Christmas celebrations. :D .

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Puternut » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:58 am

We got a good start on outside Xmas decorating this weekend despite the heat, but still a long way to go. Thank goodness all I've got to worry about for T-day is what I will wear to the dinner theater that evening where we will have our feast and see a good show, the morning is reserved for watching the Macy's parade with a cup of tea and a piece of fruitcake in hand. :lol:
Puternut
Bulb Tester

Postby Noel+ » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:19 am

Puternut wrote:We got a good start on outside Xmas decorating this weekend despite the heat, but still a long way to go. Thank goodness all I've got to worry about for T-day is what I will wear to the dinner theater that evening where we will have our feast and see a good show, the morning is reserved for watching the Macy's parade with a cup of tea and a piece of fruitcake in hand. :lol:

Your plans sound marvelous and a great deal of fun! :D So glad you are making Christmas decoration progress despite the heat. It's hot here in Arizona too and it puts ones decorating spirit to the challenge. Keep that HO-Ho-ho! :smilecc:

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:37 am

Puternut wrote:We got a good start on outside Xmas decorating this weekend despite the heat, but still a long way to go. Thank goodness all I've got to worry about for T-day is what I will wear to the dinner theater that evening where we will have our feast and see a good show, the morning is reserved for watching the Macy's parade with a cup of tea and a piece of fruitcake in hand. :lol:

Wow, a Thanksgiving dinner theatre sounds like loads of Christmas fun! :smilecc: :scene: :elfgrin:
Jennifer Lundgren

Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:40 am

I listen to a lot of OTR and much of the 30's-50's Thanskgiving episodes have to do with the lack of turkeys and "making do". ONe of my favorites if The Aldridge Family. Here at the North Pole, turkeys were scarce when I got here, now they are a bit more common as more and more adopt the English Christmas dinner tradition. :dinner:
Jennifer Lundgren

Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

PreviousNext

Return to Holiday Chatter