CHRISTMAS 2015

The place for Christmas and non-Christmas chatter.

Re: CHRISTMAS 2015

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:58 am

ksrjreed wrote:It so exciting to see that the goal is going to be hit before Thanksgiving, guess my plans of posting into the late hours of Christmas Eve are out the windows, oh well, more time to watch A Christmas Story. :smilecc:

I suggested raising it 200 at a time. That seems doable.........should we take a Christmas vote? :gbhouse:
Jennifer Lundgren
originally from San Antonio, Texas (USA)

LIfe is one Christmas adventure after another.
Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

Postby Christmas Crazy » Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:58 am

CandyKane wrote:I wasn't planning to raise the goal. Just wondering how big our Christmas thread will grow by the big day. It's so great to see all the activity on this forum. Christmas is always better when you share it with friends. :smilecc:

I agree. Let's just enjoy our accomplishment of reaching
2500 Christmas Posts!!!
Christmas Crazy
Sleigh Assistant

Postby ksrjreed » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:01 pm

Just received phone call that one of our Christmas gifts, her school jacket. This is her first year of marching band and like with my oldest two she gets her school jacket first year of marching band. She will be excited to see it, she has been all about it since the start of marching band. She came home one day during band camp and said I can't wait for Christmas, I asked her why and she said because she gets her band jacket. I know it isn't much of a surprise but the excitement is still the same. :smilecc:

Some men are Baptists, others Catholics; my father was an Oldsmobile man.
ksrjreed
Bow Maker

Location: Helping the Old Man Change a Tire,,,,,,,OH FUDGE!!!

Postby CandyKane » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:05 pm

With my Mom gone, I know that Christmas will never be the same again. And after 3 years, I've come to terms with it. I am so thankful for all the wonderful memories I have, and even more thankful for the memories we are creating now. I am so looking forward to Christmas Eve at home this year. I want my daughters best memories of Christmas to be right here at home. My Mom has an amazing Christmas Village collection that's been packed away. Every year I have the best intentions to get it out and put it up. And every year it hurts my heart to even think about it. But my dd has asked if we can put up her Grandmas Village this year. And I am so excited to do it. I think this might be the start of one of our best memories yet. :smilecc:

“Our hearts grow tender with childhood memories and love of kindred, and we are better throughout the year for having, in spirit, become a child again at Christmastime.”

― Laura Ingalls Wilder
CandyKane
Sleigh Assistant

Postby Christmas Crazy » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:08 pm

CandyKane wrote:With my Mom gone, I know that Christmas will never be the same again. And after 3 years, I've come to terms with it. I am so thankful for all the wonderful memories I have, and even more thankful for the memories we are creating now. I am so looking forward to Christmas Eve at home this year. I want my daughters best memories of Christmas to be right here at home. My Mom has an amazing Christmas Village collection that's been packed away. Every year I have the best intentions to get it out and put it up. And every year it hurts my heart to even think about it. But my dd has asked if we can put up her Grandmas Village this year. And I am so excited to do it. I think this might be the start of one of our best memories yet. :smilecc:

That will make very sweet Christmas memories of home and Grandma.
Christmas Crazy
Sleigh Assistant

Postby Christmas Crazy » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:09 pm

ksrjreed wrote:Just received phone call that one of our Christmas gifts, her school jacket. This is her first year of marching band and like with my oldest two she gets her school jacket first year of marching band. She will be excited to see it, she has been all about it since the start of marching band. She came home one day during band camp and said I can't wait for Christmas, I asked her why and she said because she gets her band jacket. I know it isn't much of a surprise but the excitement is still the same. :smilecc:

That is so Christmas cool! Image
Christmas Crazy
Sleigh Assistant

Postby Christmas Crazy » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:10 pm

How about just for fun, let's see if we can double our Christmas posts from last year.
2014 - 1369 Christmas posts.
2015 - 2738 Christmas posts?
Christmas Crazy
Sleigh Assistant

Postby Noel+ » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:14 pm

Jolly O'Leary wrote:oh my Noel, just for fun I googled "Mexican thanksgiving dinner" and got at least 9 links that I want to check out on the first page...........I could consider some for Christmas dinner as I am less "set" on the side dishes then, just turkey, ham, and mincemeat pie required with carrot raisin salad and deviled eggs to go with the Christmas eve smörgåsbord. :dinner: :nav1:

It's definitely different! Thinking it over I realized I'll miss the comfort of the memory of sharing the traditional meals with my parents. Young people aren't held by decades of past memories. Just hoping he doesn't offer to host Christmas dinner too! :whistle:

I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year! Charles Dickens
Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby CandyKane » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:15 pm

Christmas Crazy wrote:How about just for fun, let's see if we can double our Christmas posts from last year.

Sounds like great Christmas fun to me! :smilecc:

“Our hearts grow tender with childhood memories and love of kindred, and we are better throughout the year for having, in spirit, become a child again at Christmastime.”

― Laura Ingalls Wilder
CandyKane
Sleigh Assistant

Postby Noel+ » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:16 pm

CandyKane wrote:We enjoyed a nice weekend. We went Christmas shopping Saturday and had a lazy day around the house yesterday. Last night we had popcorn, hot chocolate, and Christmas movies. One of the movies was 'Christmas with Holly'. Its so sweet. :holly1:

Your weekend sounds pre-Christmas cute CK! Yes that movie is very sweet. :D

I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year! Charles Dickens
Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Noel+ » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:18 pm

CandyKane wrote:It's cold, rainy, and dreary today. I just keep thinking if it was just a little cooler this would be snow. :flake: Or the much dreaded ice. We could be like Colorado with the blizzard conditions. The weather channel says it's the first named storm of the Winter season. I never wanna hear a storm described as brutal. Especially not in November. It might be a very long Winter. At least we'll have Christmas to cheer us up. :merrytree: :peek:

Just blow the snow & ice my way for Christmas!! :snowwow:

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Noel+ » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:23 pm

Christmas Crazy wrote:I know that traditions change with each generation. But just like everyone else, I don't like change. I look at my own kids and I see the traditional Thanksgiving meal being replaced with anything but the traditional food items (Turkey, stuffing, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, rolls etc...). They just don't like that kind of a meal. I'm the only one that will eat any of the leftovers. Some traditions will carry over, but sadly some will go away. I know my daughter will still watch the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade each year. That is a tradition she has already stated she will continue. But my boys I'm not so sure about. Maybe they will inherit some of these traditions thru marriage.

And when it comes to Christmas, I've really made a mess of one thing. My kids no longer remember a Christmas at home. Ever since we moved down south, we've always traveled back north before Christmas. They only know spending Christmas Eve at one grandparents house and Christmas day at the other grandparents house. I wish I would have realised what I was doing at the time. But, they still have a great sense of spending that time with family. I guess that is what is important.

CC when making those type of decisions it's hard to foresee the future impact on our families. Every in law wants time -- especially at Christmas -- and we want to be fair. It's a juggling match sometimes. In the end - as you said - they remember being with extended family. And that passes to the next generation. Our memories & traditions are uniquely our own.

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Noel+ » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:25 pm

Christmas Crazy wrote:
CandyKane wrote:I wasn't planning to raise the goal. Just wondering how big our Christmas thread will grow by the big day. It's so great to see all the activity on this forum. Christmas is always better when you share it with friends. :smilecc:

I agree. Let's just enjoy our accomplishment of reaching
2500 Christmas Posts!!!

I second that emotion! 2500 Christmas posts is an awesome accomplishment after last year's tally. :smilecc:

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Noel+ » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:27 pm

ksrjreed wrote:Just received phone call that one of our Christmas gifts, her school jacket. This is her first year of marching band and like with my oldest two she gets her school jacket first year of marching band. She will be excited to see it, she has been all about it since the start of marching band. She came home one day during band camp and said I can't wait for Christmas, I asked her why and she said because she gets her band jacket. I know it isn't much of a surprise but the excitement is still the same. :smilecc:

Too Christmas cool ksrjreed! The anticipation for your daughter is equal to a surprise!

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Noel+ » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:30 pm

CandyKane wrote:With my Mom gone, I know that Christmas will never be the same again. And after 3 years, I've come to terms with it. I am so thankful for all the wonderful memories I have, and even more thankful for the memories we are creating now. I am so looking forward to Christmas Eve at home this year. I want my daughters best memories of Christmas to be right here at home. My Mom has an amazing Christmas Village collection that's been packed away. Every year I have the best intentions to get it out and put it up. And every year it hurts my heart to even think about it. But my dd has asked if we can put up her Grandmas Village this year. And I am so excited to do it. I think this might be the start of one of our best memories yet. :smilecc:

That's a lovely new Christmas tradition CK. Your daughter will remember it for a lifetime. Your plans at home sound lovely. Does your father come to your house too? :D

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby CandyKane » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:45 pm

Noel+ wrote:

That's a lovely new Christmas tradition CK. Your daughter will remember it for a lifetime. Your plans at home sound lovely. Does your father come to your house too? :D

No he doesn't. We always had Christmas Day at my Dad and Moms house and since she's been gone I try to keep things as normal as possible for him. Everything's the same except the food is not nearly as good. Mostly because I cook it :laugh:

― Laura Ingalls Wilder
CandyKane
Sleigh Assistant

Postby Noel+ » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:02 pm

CK: tht's so loving of you to keep his life as normal as possible to reduce his grief. And I bet you're a great cook -- especially at Christmas! :D

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:42 am

Noel+ wrote:
Jolly O'Leary wrote:oh my Noel, just for fun I googled "Mexican thanksgiving dinner" and got at least 9 links that I want to check out on the first page...........I could consider some for Christmas dinner as I am less "set" on the side dishes then, just turkey, ham, and mincemeat pie required with carrot raisin salad and deviled eggs to go with the Christmas eve smörgåsbord. :dinner: :nav1:

It's definitely different! Thinking it over I realized I'll miss the comfort of the memory of sharing the traditional meals with my parents. Young people aren't held by decades of past memories. Just hoping he doesn't offer to host Christmas dinner too! :whistle:

Got a facebook message from my aunt saying she had ordered the "thanksgiving tamales".....now to be fair many in San Antonio serve tamales along side the traditional meal, but once again just my family's way of doing things cheap and easy. I have a friend that says she serves tamales and queso as the starter. The ex used to bring tamales to Thanksgiving and Christmas because he was a very picky eater and wanted to make sure he had something to eat. Perky says he is missing out. Good thing he is too Christmas cute.....

my cousin's husband told us last year that he wished we were there for every holiday because then they had "real food": LOL :dinner:
Jennifer Lundgren

Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:46 am

CandyKane wrote:
Christmas Crazy wrote:How about just for fun, let's see if we can double our Christmas posts from last year.

Sounds like great Christmas fun to me! :smilecc:

We can always try. If we make it great, if not, oh well. The important thing is to share Christmas with each other. :elfgrin:
Jennifer Lundgren

Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:50 am

For Star Wars Fans, today is Wookie Life Day, the anniversary of the dubiously infamous Star Wars Holiday Special. Here is one of my favorite songs from the one and only Star Wars Christmas CD. I read that it has been re-released. I might just have to put it on my Christmas list.

It is always one of my goals to put up the little tree with red balls for this date, but I never seem to make it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jzo4QDfJhvA
Jennifer Lundgren

Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

PreviousNext

Return to Holiday Chatter