Christmas 2016

The place for Christmas and non-Christmas chatter.

Re: Christmas 2016

Postby Noel+ » Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:59 pm

Merry Blessed Sunday Christmas!

I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year! Charles Dickens
Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:27 am

ksrjreed wrote:Happy Friday to one and all.

Question: Has anyone come up with plans for Leon day or will you plan something special for Leon day.

If you mean June 25, we have made it sort of a "half" celebration on the low key side since it usually falls around Swedish Midsummer which is as big a deal as Christmas.
We have a small coffee maker that makes two small cups so we each get "half", have half a muffin and watch a "half" hour Christmas special usually on youtube as we are sitting at the kitchen table. If I were in the US, I would buy a "Half" bundt cake (they used to have those at the local grocery, not sure they still do).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tb96EAY ... vDxo8WrQus

the link is not working but it is the link to the Noël cartoon that we often use because of the name and then listen to a rendition of The First Noel on youtube as well. Bing Crosby is always a favorite. You can also find the cartoon by searching the words Noel Christmas cartoon. I used to have it on VHS in another life.

Merry Monday Christmas!
Jennifer Lundgren
originally from San Antonio, Texas (USA)

LIfe is one Christmas adventure after another.
Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:30 am

Christmas Crazy wrote:

Question: Has anyone come up with plans for Leon day or will you plan something special for Leon day.

I'm the sole celebrator in my family. So I will quietly celebrate in my own "little" way. Maybe watch a Christmas movie in the bedroom.

Invite Michelle in with some hot (or cold) chocolate and cuddles and you might be celebrating Christmas in June together. A Charlie Brown Christmas always works if she is not up for a 2 hour movie. :D
Jennifer Lundgren

Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:38 am

Noel+ wrote:

Jolly often mentions Leon Day. We remark about it & celebrate Christmas in July. :D

Leon Day (june 25) is celebrated with a "fika" (Swedish word meaning coffee break but coffee break in the sense that the English have "tea", it's an occasion not just a snack). No decorations. We also sometimes do a "peanut butter" dinner a la Peanut Butter Christmas by Patch the Pirate. Christmas in July is a week celebration with decorations (take about 15 minutes including the mini tree), music, movies, and trying to escape the "world". Usually I am on vacation that week. Over the years it has taken on a Hawaiian theme so we have a lot of "Hawaiian" food not just on the "party night" (Saturday). We try to take a short cruise during that week, but this year we will probably just do a lunch cruise during our "stay cation". Christmas in August used to be Aug 24-26 but doesn't always work out now with my work schedule, so now it is usually over a weekend. Only put up the Christmas banner, have a more festive meal than usual (or go out more recently) and watch a Christmas movie. Friday Christmasses used to return in Christmas in July, but now I am thinking Leon day is a good time too. To get in the spirit for Christmas in July.

On a side note, Perky and I were looking at possible anniversary trips for 2017 and I found the ultimate "Christmas in July" trip. It goes from Poland up through Finland including Santa's winter home in Finland (he has several it seems) and Santa's Finnish village. NOw that sounds like Christmas in July heaven. :elfgrin:
Jennifer Lundgren

Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:41 am

For your Christmas imagination, here is the trip we were looking at and is now on my bucket list.

http://www.polferries.com/tourism/wycie ... ieczki/667
Jennifer Lundgren

Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

Postby Christmas Crazy » Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:33 am

Jolly O'Leary wrote:
Christmas Crazy wrote:

I'm the sole celebrator in my family. So I will quietly celebrate in my own "little" way. Maybe watch a Christmas movie in the bedroom.

Invite Michelle in with some hot (or cold) chocolate and cuddles and you might be celebrating Christmas in June together. A Charlie Brown Christmas always works if she is not up for a 2 hour movie. :D

Great Christmasy idea!
Christmas Crazy
Sleigh Assistant

Postby Christmas Crazy » Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:34 am

Noel+ wrote:ksrjreed:

In the United States, Leon Day is the halfway mark to Christmas. Leon is Noel spelled backwards. It is celebrated on June 25th, i.e. the turning point when Christmas begins to come closer on the calendar. It is exactly six months before Christmas day.

It's also called Half Christmas.
Christmas Crazy
Sleigh Assistant

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:58 am

Christmas Crazy wrote:
Noel+ wrote:ksrjreed:

In the United States, Leon Day is the halfway mark to Christmas. Leon is Noel spelled backwards. It is celebrated on June 25th, i.e. the turning point when Christmas begins to come closer on the calendar. It is exactly six months before Christmas day.

It's also called Half Christmas.

Thus the "half" or "halves" in our Leon Day Christmas celebration. We sometimes also listen to the Adventures in Odyssey episode "Nothing but the Half Truth" even though it has nothing to do with Christmas. Patch the Pirates Peanut Butter Christmas takes around a half hour, so that is why we often combine it with a peanut butter and jelly dinner and listen to it over dinner. Last year, hubby found some Peanut butter "cheeto" type crisps. They taste much better than they sound.

I just checked the calendar and see now that Half Christmas is on Swedish MIdsummer Day. We might be in the North visitng Perky's sister that weekend. hm.........have to think about that.
Jennifer Lundgren

Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

Postby CandyKane » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:22 am

Good morning! We were woke up early as a thunderstorm rolled through. The rain is welcome as its really dry. The news yesterday showed images of a wild dust storm in Arkansas. I have never seen that before. Hope you find some Christmas cheer to carry you through the week ahead. :thumbs:

“Our hearts grow tender with childhood memories and love of kindred, and we are better throughout the year for having, in spirit, become a child again at Christmastime.”

― Laura Ingalls Wilder
CandyKane
Sleigh Assistant

Postby Christmas Crazy » Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:08 pm

CandyKane wrote:Good morning! We were woke up early as a thunderstorm rolled through. The rain is welcome as its really dry. The news yesterday showed images of a wild dust storm in Arkansas. I have never seen that before. Hope you find some Christmas cheer to carry you through the week ahead. :thumbs:

We're supposed to get some storms tomorrow. I really like a good storm. Especially a snow storm at Christmas time. :flake: :flake: :flake:
Christmas Crazy
Sleigh Assistant

Postby Christmas Crazy » Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:08 pm

Merry Mistletoe Monday Christmas!!!
I hope everybody has a great week.
:ornwave:
Christmas Crazy
Sleigh Assistant

Postby ksrjreed » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:32 pm

Hello all you CAYer's

I think we have decided to really give Leon Day the full go, we will be eating our traditional ham Christmas dinner while we play music and then watching our favorite Christmas movies.

With June 25th being on a Saturday this year I really want to do something special. :smilecc:

Some men are Baptists, others Catholics; my father was an Oldsmobile man.
ksrjreed
Bow Maker

Location: Helping the Old Man Change a Tire,,,,,,,OH FUDGE!!!

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:50 am

ksrjreed wrote:Hello all you CAYer's

I think we have decided to really give Leon Day the full go, we will be eating our traditional ham Christmas dinner while we play music and then watching our favorite Christmas movies.

With June 25th being on a Saturday this year I really want to do something special. :smilecc:

Yes that sounds too Christmas fun. We will be eating Midsummer smörgåsbord leftovers which is very similar to Christmas Eve leftovers. Instead of ham, at midsummer swedes have salmon as the main meat. The smörgåsbord is eaten the night before (Friday), then on Saturday you have the main meat dish and leftovers on the side. If we go North, maybe I will make some Christmas cookies to take with us for 25 June. We told them Christmas in July was an "American thing" and they were happy to let us make a turkey dinner. I am quite sure the could fine room for Christmas cookies. :dinner:
Jennifer Lundgren

Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

Postby Noel+ » Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:21 am

Merry Tinsel Tuesday Christmas!

I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year! Charles Dickens
Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Noel+ » Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:22 am

That's a great Christmas Leon Day plan! Since my family celebrates Christmas in July with music, movies, gifts & dinner we only do a small bit on Leon Day. For your family Leon Day sounds perfect. Enjoy!! :smilecc:

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Christmas Crazy » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:31 am

Merry Tinsel Tuesday Christmas!!!
I'm still dreaming of a white Christmas.
Christmas Crazy
Sleigh Assistant

Postby Christmas Crazy » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:31 am

I'm so Christmas jealous. :elfgrin:
Christmas Crazy
Sleigh Assistant

Postby CandyKane » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:54 am

Good morning all. I wish there was something Christmas related going on but for now I'll just have to dream. :sleephat: :D

“Our hearts grow tender with childhood memories and love of kindred, and we are better throughout the year for having, in spirit, become a child again at Christmastime.”

― Laura Ingalls Wilder
CandyKane
Sleigh Assistant

Postby Noel+ » Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:40 pm

CandyKane wrote:Good morning all. I wish there was something Christmas related going on but for now I'll just have to dream. :sleephat: :D

and read Christmas books & watch Christmas movies!! :wink:

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:19 am

CandyKane wrote:Good morning all. I wish there was something Christmas related going on but for now I'll just have to dream. :sleephat: :D

Www.feeln.com has Christmas movies year round. Or there is always YouTube. I am still trying to catch up on Easter favorites, almost as much fun as Christmas.
Jennifer Lundgren

Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

PreviousNext

Return to Holiday Chatter