Christmas 2016

The place for Christmas and non-Christmas chatter.

Re: Christmas 2016

Postby CandyKane » Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:28 am

Noel two Thanksgiving celebrations? We have at least 4. I can guarantee you by the last one I'm sick of turkey and dressing. Our most traditional celebration is the one we have with my family. Thanksgiving has gotten as crazy for us as Christmas has. :hohat:

“Our hearts grow tender with childhood memories and love of kindred, and we are better throughout the year for having, in spirit, become a child again at Christmastime.”

― Laura Ingalls Wilder
CandyKane
Sleigh Assistant

Postby CandyKane » Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:29 am

Looking forward to our old pal Christmas Crazy's return. joyelf

“Our hearts grow tender with childhood memories and love of kindred, and we are better throughout the year for having, in spirit, become a child again at Christmastime.”

― Laura Ingalls Wilder
CandyKane
Sleigh Assistant

Postby CandyKane » Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:31 am

3742 Christmas posts. We'll top 4000 easy. :elfgrin:

― Laura Ingalls Wilder
CandyKane
Sleigh Assistant

Postby Noel+ » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:10 am

Merry Super Sunday Christmas!

I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year! Charles Dickens
Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Noel+ » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:10 am

Just 10 Weeks until Christmas! :smilecc:

I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year! Charles Dickens
Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Noel+ » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:12 am

Jolly I have no idea when we would add another Thanksgiving Day celebration. Still you celebrate two, and CK celebrates 4 so I think we need to work on this before Christmas! :wink:

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Noel+ » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:13 am

Welcome back from vacation Christmas Crazy! :D

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:31 am

Noel+ wrote:Jolly I have no idea when we would add another Thanksgiving Day celebration. Still you celebrate two, and CK celebrates 4 so I think we need to work on this before Christmas! :wink:

Well, true. but they are not all of equal work. If we are in Sweden and have made a big turkey for Swedish thanksgiving, usually the american one is "just like thanksgiving chicken" or some slightly easier recipe that is reminiscent of Thanksgiving. Some years I have also used the turkey leftover meat from the freezer and made turkey tetrezzini for american thanskgiving weekend since it falls on a work day for us. It is also very common now in Sweden to have an "american" feast sometime during November the way we have german food one weekend during Oktoberfest. For many swedes, it just adds to the culinary year. When I was in Texas, I would Cook myself a mini feast with cornish hen, stove top, frozen green bean casserole, and mrs smith's pumpkin pie because my family often has weird food (tamales, lasagna, etc) for "thanksgiving". It was not until our last trip to Texas that i realized that started happening when my grandmother Went to a pensioner apartment and stopped cooking. I did not realize she had been the heart of our Thanksgiving and Christmas traditons.

If by thanksgiving dinner you mean the combination of turkey, sweet potatoes, cranberry flavors, then we have that many times during october and november. I saw a Swedish recipe for "stuffed" turkey chorizo (about as big as a bratwurst sausage), single sized per plate. The "stuffing" was something with parsnips. Now I want to try that! It is fun to play around with "bum" food and see how far down the ladder you can go and still call it "thanksgiving". :dinner:
Jennifer Lundgren
originally from San Antonio, Texas (USA)

LIfe is one Christmas adventure after another.
Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

Postby Jolly O'Leary » Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:33 am

Noel+ wrote:Jolly I have no idea when we would add another Thanksgiving Day celebration. Still you celebrate two, and CK celebrates 4 so I think we need to work on this before Christmas! :wink:

Actually Perky says if we have Christmas in July, we should have thanksgiving in June, but then we have Midsommar and Half Christmas. He is too Christmas cute though I could Think that some turkey salad around that time of year sounds very nice. I usually Cook one turkey a year to have the extra meat in the freezer for such things, but I have also found that a deboned rotissiere chicken works well for most things too. Less work and less planning ahead. :dinner:
Jennifer Lundgren
originally from San Antonio, Texas (USA)

LIfe is one Christmas adventure after another.
Jolly O'Leary
Rudolph's Assistant

Postby Christmas Crazy » Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:24 pm

Merry Sunday Christmas!
Almost Monday! :P
Christmas Crazy
Sleigh Assistant

Postby Christmas Crazy » Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:30 pm

I missed all my Christmas friends last week.
Michelle and I plus four other couples went on a 7 day cruise to the Eastern Caribbean. We visited St. Thomas, San Juan, and Grand Turk. We had an absolutely awesome time. It's late tonight, so I will catch up tomorrow or Tuesday. I have my Myelogram Monday morning. I hope that goes well with no complications. :D

Have a blessed night!
Christmas Crazy
Sleigh Assistant

Postby Christmas Crazy » Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:32 pm

Wow! 3752 Christmas posts.
Christmas Crazy
Sleigh Assistant

Postby Noel+ » Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:48 pm

Christmas Crazy wrote:I missed all my Christmas friends last week.
Michelle and I plus four other couples went on a 7 day cruise to the Eastern Caribbean. We visited St. Thomas, San Juan, and Grand Turk. We had an absolutely awesome time. It's late tonight, so I will catch up tomorrow or Tuesday. I have my Myelogram Monday morning. I hope that goes well with no complications. :D

Have a blessed night!

So glad your vacation was great Christmas Crazy! We missed you too. Praying for your mylogram and results. Welcome home my friend. :smilecc:

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Christmas Crazy » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:03 am

Christmas Crazy
Sleigh Assistant

Postby Noel+ » Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:10 am

Merry Musical Monday Christmas!

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Noel+ » Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:11 am

69 Days until Christmas! :scene:

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Noel+ » Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:13 am

Jolly O'Leary wrote:
Actually Perky says if we have Christmas in July, we should have thanksgiving in June, but then we have Midsommar and Half Christmas. He is too Christmas cute though I could Think that some turkey salad around that time of year sounds very nice. I usually Cook one turkey a year to have the extra meat in the freezer for such things, but I have also found that a deboned rotissiere chicken works well for most things too. Less work and less planning ahead. :dinner:

Yes Perky is too Christmas cute and I use him as an example to my DH from time to time. He thinks Christmas in July is the only 2nd holiday we need. Still, I like your idea of a pork roast instead of a whole turkey with some fixins that remind us of Thanksgiving. And that would be a great time for pumpkin cheesecake. Thanks for the inspiration Christmas friend! :D

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Noel+ » Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:14 am

CandyKane wrote:3742 Christmas posts. We'll top 4000 easy. :elfgrin:

:wink: Let's rock this Christmas countdown! :shop:

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Noel+ » Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:15 am

My Lakeshore Catalog order is almost finished. At the last minute I removed some Autumnal items in favor of more Christmas ones. They have the cutest mason jar items. It always puts me in the Holly Jolly mood! :opengifts:

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Noel+ » Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:17 am

My local post office still does not have Christmas stamps in stock yet. That is both frustrating and a little exciting at the same time. It does give me a smile to wait expectantly for the stamps to arrive. :D

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

PreviousNext

Return to Holiday Chatter