What are you reading?

Escape to Christmas through reading - books, stories, prose, poems. Feel free to share your own creations too!

What are you reading?

Postby Mrs.Claus » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:53 pm

What are you reading right now?
~ Mrs. Claus ~

Mrs.Claus
The Mrs.

Re: What are you reading?

Postby Noel+ » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:13 pm

1778 - a little American history! :smilecc:

I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year! Charles Dickens
Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Merry Sage » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:56 am

In the library today I found what I hope will be an interesting read. Its a slim volume by Anne Perry called "A Christmas Guest". Is a whodunit. A Christmas mystery! It's set in Victorian times too, which is a bonus!

Should be a good read.
:flake:
Merry Sage
Head Baker

Postby Mrs.Claus » Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:16 am

Yesterday at the Library, I found Miracle on 34th Street and am about half way done. It's a bit different from the movie, but written by the same person who came up with the movie idea. It's a rare instance when the movie actually came before the book.

Gotta love library finds. Merry - next time I go I'll look up that book. I love mysteries too.
~ Mrs. Claus ~

Mrs.Claus
The Mrs.

Postby Merry Sage » Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:20 am

I was really pleased. This branch is very small and is quite limited in what it has. It was a real treat to find this.
Merry Sage
Head Baker

Postby Noel+ » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:47 am

Sigh, "The 5 Stages of Grief" ........again.........not that it remedies the pain, but is a guide for how to respond to additional stressors.

I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year! Charles Dickens
Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Keepsake » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:30 pm

The Shop On Blossom Street by Debbie Macomber :scene:
Keepsake

Keepsake
Elf Apprentice

Postby Noel+ » Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:07 am

Korea: Bitter Cold -- a book about the war.

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Merry Sage » Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:17 am

I'm onto a Daphne du Maurier novel at the moment, very good. Its called "Mary Anne". I'd forgotten how much I enjoy her writing. I didn't see any other of her books in the library when I got this, but I'll ask when I return this one. :flake:
Merry Sage
Head Baker

Postby Noel+ » Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:45 am

As I still read the book on Korea, I've started reading for our book club the "Life and Times of Santa Claus"! :smilecc:

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Mrs.Claus » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:52 am

I've finished reading Houseworks book and am hoping to apply some things to the way my house works.

I've also already read Life & Adventures of Santa Claus. I have a book ready to pick up from the library, so can't wait to get it and start reading again.
~ Mrs. Claus ~

Mrs.Claus
The Mrs.

Postby Merry Sage » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:20 am

My husband bought me a copy of "Under the Tree; The Toys and Treats That Made Christmas Special, 1930-1970" by Susan Waggoner. Just leafing through it sure is taking me back!

A trip to the library yesterday got another Daphne du Maurier book, "Rebecca" and E.M. Forester's "A Room With a View".
Merry Sage
Head Baker

Postby Mrs.Claus » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:50 am

Read the latest Artemis Fowl book. Started reading the Shack (the intro section) but not sure if I want to get into it quite yet, so put it down. I have 2 Agatha Christie books from the library (both with Christmas themes) and will probably start those today.
~ Mrs. Claus ~

Mrs.Claus
The Mrs.

Postby Noel+ » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:22 am

"CUES" - a psychological body language book. :flake:

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Merry Sage » Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:45 pm

I've not had anything really decent to read since my last post. At the moment I'm reading a chapter or two of The Hobbit of an evening and quite enjoying it. I tried Lord of the Rings a while back and just couldn't get into it, so I wasn't sure if I'd like The Hobbit or not.

I'm a bit desperate for some Christmas themed books but the local library is small and hasn't much that isn't for pre schoolers. I do have that online reading site Mrs C put up, so I'm going to have a look at that.
:whistle:
Merry Sage
Head Baker

Postby Mrs.Claus » Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:56 pm

I've read a few books since my last post. The most recent "grown-up" book being Stephanie Meyer's "The Host". She has written other books more for teens, The Host is her first book for adults. It was pretty good. Reminded me a bit of the Borg meets Trill (for all those Star Trek fans out there) symbiotic type thing.
~ Mrs. Claus ~

Mrs.Claus
The Mrs.

Postby Noel+ » Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:25 am

The new interior design book by Nate Berkus. It's fab!!!

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Merry Sage » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:27 pm

I stopped into one of the local charity shops today and got a couple of paperbacks, one in nearly new condition;

Last Chance Saloon by Marian Keyes
Shopaholic & Baby by Sophie Kinsella. I do enjoy her Shopaholic series of books.

Both should be nice light reading. I'm spending part of the day reading up on things like marketing and the legalese you need to have on commercial websites for Kevan's business, so in the evening I don't want anything thats heavy going right now.
:sleephat:
Merry Sage
Head Baker

Postby Noel+ » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:50 pm

This time of year light reading is definitely a time saver with all our busy activities! I so agree Merry Sage! :smilecc:

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Merry Sage » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:19 am

If your interested in audio books or reading a book online, I found this wonderful free site. Its all public domain, so your not committing copyright infringement or anything.

I got Dickens A Christmas Carol yesterday along with Mark Twain's A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court (his description of what wearing armour must have been like is :laugh: ) and H.G. Well's War of the Worlds on my iPod now.

Books Should Be Free
Merry Sage
Head Baker

Next

Return to Holiday Lit 101