Pine Cone Christmas Ornament

Christmas Crafts and Holiday Projects.

Postby Noel+ » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:17 pm

I come from a very large family. This isn't a complaint, mind you; it just means Christmas can get a little expensive. Imagine receiving a bag filled with baked goods, home made candies, jams, craft projects and Christmas ornaments.

Supplies

Supplies for our pinecone ornaments were inexpensive most of which we already had on hand. In addition to the aforementioned jumbo pinecones, we used metallic red or green paint, paintbrushes, glitter spray, or gold and silver spray paint. We also needed thin ribbon or colorful heavy duty thread to help attach our ornaments to the tree.

Debug

If you'll be making these pinecones on your own, you'd be advised to first get rid of any critters that may be lurking in the depths of your pinecones. You may not realize it, but some cones can be filled with bugs! To get rid of them you can either place the pinecones in an air tight plastic bag for a few days to cut off the oxygen supply, or you can place them in a foil pan and bake on a low setting for an hour or two.

Making your Ornament

To make the ornament, apply a metallic colored paint. This was my son's favorite part. I just poured the paint into an empty egg carton, handed him a brush and let him go to town. Don't get too heavy handed with the paint though, otherwise the ornament can look clumpy and dull.

You can also spray paint the pinecone for a more even coat. When the paint dries, spray it with glitter spray so it reflects off the Christmas lights. You can even spray with fake snow! Tie a ribbon around the stem and you're good to go.

This project can be done by children of all ages and makes a wonderful addition to any Christmas stocking

I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year! Charles Dickens
Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Re: Pine Cone Christmas Ornament

Postby Jodie » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:03 am

What a great project to include the children with. Thanks

Jodie
Toy Maker

Postby Winterself » Sat May 03, 2008 8:18 pm

I live out in the country so we have access to pinecones when we want them..and my first year here 10 years ago.we made pine ornies with glue and glitter...i still have them and they are still awesome..just another idea..besides the metalic paints..great idea..
Winterself
Christmas Tree Finder

Postby Noel+ » Sat May 03, 2008 9:41 pm

What a great idea and a creative touch to add! Thanks! :flake:

I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year! Charles Dickens
Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Pixie Wildflower » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:39 am

That is just wonderful!
Pixie Wildflower
Bulb Tester

Return to Homemade Holiday