A CAY Fun Food Challenge

Christmas or non-Christmas charities and organisations - local or world-wide.

A CAY Fun Food Challenge

Postby Mrs.Claus » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:21 pm

The Idea:
When we went grocery shopping last week, I noticed they had the side dishes on sale for under a dollar. I knew I already had tons in my cupboard, but then a thought occurred to me, why not buy a couple a start a food donation box for the holidays. My kids' school has a food drive every year and this would be a great opportunity. Mind you, we don't have lots of money, but I figured for under $2 I could get a couple and donate. After mulling it over for a few days, I thought wouldn't it be great if we could all do this. So my fun food challenge was born.

The Challenge:
Every time you go grocery shopping from now until December 15th, pick up one or two extra non-perishable items for your local food bank or to give to a food drive. Try to pick items that you like, because I'm sure others would like them too. Remember to check best before and due dates.

That's 3 months and if you go shopping every week and pick up one extra item you could collect 14 items. If you're like me and shop every 2 weeks that's 7 items.

Anyone up for the challenge?
~ Mrs. Claus ~

Mrs.Claus
The Mrs.

Re: A Fun Food Challenge

Postby Noel+ » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:54 pm

That's a great challenge, Mrs. C!

We also give to Salvation Army as many food boxes as possible at Thanksgiving and Christmas time. This way, we can give more! :snowwow:

I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year! Charles Dickens
Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Re: A CAY Fun Food Challenge

Postby Merry Sage » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:53 am

We had food drives back home too. Church, Guides, Scouts etc.. all do them. I can't say I've ever seen them done here tho. You see boxes in the supermarkets for donations of pet food for the animal shelters, but thats about it.

I think what I need to do is contact a couple of the local churches and the Sally Ann to see if they do this or would be interested in accepting a donation of a box of stuff. I'm sure they would. They may even have a similar program, I'm just not aware of it.

Great idea Mrs C!
:holly1:
Merry Sage
Head Baker

Postby Noel+ » Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:51 am

Today we shopped at Costco and the children were with me helping me chose items to donate. We bought more for that family than for our own and that is a great lesson for any child to learn. They picked their favorite items for someone in need! :snowwow:

I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year! Charles Dickens
Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Mrs.Claus » Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:30 am

I'm asking my kids about their favourite foods and what they would give to those in need. I'm asking them that if it were them needing to get food from the food bank what types of food would they like to get and we're trying to find them on sale (makes it easier to afford and get a couple of items). I'm also thinking nutritiously too - so it's not all junk food.

This coming week is grocery shopping time, so we'll be adding to our box. :santa:
~ Mrs. Claus ~

Mrs.Claus
The Mrs.

Postby Noel+ » Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:41 am

If your girls are like my children, they do want these children in need to have 'treats'! So a nutritonal steer to the right or left is required! LOL! :lol:

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby Christmas_Eggnog » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:24 am

That's a great idea....and that will help lots of people! Yes, count me in. :smilecc:
Christmas is, of course, the time to be home - in heart as well as body."
Christmas_Eggnog
Bulb Tester

Postby Mrs.Claus » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:09 am

I was just thinking about this yesterday. I think we need to try it again this year. During grocery shopping I saw some noodle side dishes on for 99cents so we bought a couple to start our box again.
~ Mrs. Claus ~

Mrs.Claus
The Mrs.

Postby CandyKane » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:04 pm

This is a great idea! :smilecc:

“Our hearts grow tender with childhood memories and love of kindred, and we are better throughout the year for having, in spirit, become a child again at Christmastime.”

― Laura Ingalls Wilder
CandyKane
Sleigh Assistant

Postby Noel+ » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:38 am

Two chain stores here are having an Autumn special this week: 10 for $10. So we're stocking up for the food drives coming next month through January! What a huge blessing! :peekleaves2:

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby mistletoe misfit » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:14 am

I love this idea!
Buying one or two items every other week when shopping is a lot easier to do than trying to buy a whole bunch of items right before Christmas.
I bought a box of KD(whole wheat) and soup .
Our school usually has a mitten tree, and a large box for the food bank. Last year the teachers asked that we bring a small toy for a child, instead of a teachers gift at Christmas. :smilecc:
mistletoe misfit
Head Baker

Postby CandyKane » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:42 pm

MM--I think it's wonderful that your teachers would ask for a donated toy instead of a gift for themselves. Our church's bible store will be open for the kids by the middle of December. Not only will they be able to purchase toys for themselves, they can buy gifts for their siblings and parents. It should really help out some of our families who are having a hard time making it. Also our church gives out cash donations to some of the struggling families in our congregation, but I know of another church that fills food gift baskets and gives them to the needy. Hopefully one day our church will have the resources to do a food basket program.

“Our hearts grow tender with childhood memories and love of kindred, and we are better throughout the year for having, in spirit, become a child again at Christmastime.”

― Laura Ingalls Wilder
CandyKane
Sleigh Assistant

Postby Christmas_Eggnog » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:02 am

How's the challenge currently going for everyone? I'm so far doing great and really feeling that special x-mas spirit!
Christmas is, of course, the time to be home - in heart as well as body."
Christmas_Eggnog
Bulb Tester

Postby Noel+ » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:13 am

We have some basics but waiting for holiday sales on food items unique to Turkey Day & Christmas!

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby CandyKane » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:53 pm

I took dd and one of her little friends to the library this week for the summer reading program and noticed that they have a food donation box set up there. I have never seen these boxes set up at any time other than Christmas so I guess that says alot about the economy right now. I'm planning on picking up a few things and dropping them off on our next visit.

― Laura Ingalls Wilder
CandyKane
Sleigh Assistant

Postby Noel+ » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:29 pm

CandyKane wrote:I took dd and one of her little friends to the library this week [/color]for the summer reading program and noticed that they have a food donation box set up there. I have never seen these boxes set up at any time other than Christmas so I guess that says alot about the economy right now. I'm planning on picking up a few things and dropping them off on our next visit.

Yes, it is the same way in my area. In June we collected food at work for a particular school where 95% of the children only have 1 meal a day! And most of us would not call that a meal - more like a snack! Our library also has collection boxes as does one local grocery chain. And food prices are SOARING!

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Postby CandyKane » Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:07 pm

The schools here are offering free summer meals for all kids 18 and under. They eat the meal there then take a bag of groceries home with them. I'm sure this is helping out a lot of families this summer. :smilecc:

― Laura Ingalls Wilder
CandyKane
Sleigh Assistant

Postby Noel+ » Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:25 pm

CandyKane wrote:The schools here are offering free summer meals for all kids 18 and under. They eat the meal there then take a bag of groceries home with them. I'm sure this is helping out a lot of families this summer. :smilecc:

That's a wonderful program CandyKane. We have a similar volunteer program here. :D

Noel+
Santa's Top Advisors

Return to Charities & Helps